Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
White P8 aka ORKA * OTA V2.0 * MFD 1/21 * 20" ride.
978 Posts
The only 1 time I'd experienced a crack resulting in leaking coolant was ICE Audi few years ago. Now must continue to keep an eye open because it's too easy to assume that with EV, there's nothing liquidy or moving gears within the body.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just to add my experience - '21 XC40 Recharge

Car gave an error "Propulsion system service required". The car went in for service for 2 weeks. They determined that the AC compressor is setting an interlock circuit fault which caused the error. They replaced that part.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Just to add my experience - '21 XC40 Recharge

Car gave an error "Propulsion system service required". The car went in for service for 2 weeks. They determined that the AC compressor is setting an interlock circuit fault which caused the error. They replaced that part.
Did they give you a loaner?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
no loaner - If I wanted a loaner it would be about 1 month out. I was not planning to wait a month and keep driving with that warning code/msg.

I am at 25+ days with car in service. Once I hit 30, I can start the lemon law process.
Have you been introduced to the regional Volvo rep? They can be very helpful in helping you if you decide to want a replacement or buy back.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The assistance is not universal. It can be extremely variable and appears to be dependent on geolocation. With all my issues, letters and contacts with Volvo USA, I never received one single response from the regional rep.

As a matter of information, I received no contact from Volvo corporate with no discussion of options or alternatives to a buy back. A simple email informing me that Sedgwick Insurance would be issuing me a check in the next two weeks.

Your experience, from reviewing the postings was exceptional. I fully understand why you opted for a new car. Mine was not.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The assistance is not universal. It can be extremely variable and appears to be dependent on geolocation. With all my issues, letters and contacts with Volvo USA, I never received one single response from the regional rep.

As a matter of information, I received no contact from Volvo corporate with no discussion of options or alternatives to a buy back. A simple email informing me that Sedgwick Insurance would be issuing me a check in the next two weeks.

Your experience, from reviewing the postings was exceptional. I fully understand why you opted for a new car. Mine was not.
It is very sad that volvo USA seems to help some people but not others. I guess it is the way with most businesses. The experience you get is a function of the person assigned you case number :(

Sorry they have done nothing for you through all. This from other threads it seems they often are helpful but it is not a zero number of times they just do nothing :(

·
Registered
2,415 Posts

‘Most of the time the rep will work behind the scenes with the dealer. Has the dealer engaged the rep? How is your experience with the service manager. I do agree I was probably the exception and otherwise would have filed for them to buy it back. And honestly if there were more EV choices and availability I probably would have had them buy it back.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
It is very sad that volvo USA seems to help some people but not others. I guess it is the way with most businesses. The experience you get is a function of the person assigned you case number :(

Sorry they have done nothing for you through all. This from other threads it seems they often are helpful but it is not a zero number of times they just do nothing :(
I don’t think it is Volvo USA as much as a specific dealer/retinal rep combo. Volvo told me from the beginning that the dealer is the interface and they forward info to the rep. I had asked Volvo to have the rep contact me and they would only forward the info to the rep and the dealer. I also think because I am ona highly competitive Volvo area (3 dealers within about 10 miles) the dealers here know the customer has options. I have bought a lot of cars and in Atlanta almost every brand has stiff competition with the brand within miles and I also have had very bad dealer and service experiences. It was to the point when I was buying Acuras we would go across town to buy because that sales experience was great, but their service sucked so we got them serviced at the local dealer as there service was decent.

·
Registered
307 Posts
‘Most of the time the rep will work behind the scenes with the dealer. Has the dealer engaged the rep? How is your experience with the service manager. I do agree I was probably the exception and otherwise would have filed for them to buy it back. And honestly if there were more EV choices and availability I probably would have had them buy it back.
In my area, there is only one Volvo dealer in a 60 mile radius. This does limit options and makes services an issue. The dealer was quite understanding and did try to assist me with the issues. However, in my face to face discussions and talks with the dealer, he seemed at a loss to be able to get any additional help or information. He noted that his source of contact was not better than mine at Volvo USA.

Having three dealers and service options in an area like Atlanta certainly does allow for more options. But, this makes one reticent to purchase a Volvo in an area with limited dealerships and representation.

In my area there is no Concierge service. The service department is busy and loaners are rare. Taking 1/2 day off for the frequents services or software updates that have occured to many customers is a major problem.

I fully appreciate that many owners have reported care free cars that are functioning without issues. Those of us with problems have been tolerant and willing to allow Volvo to try to fix the problems. Unfortunately, the lack of corporate support and assistance in resolving these ongoing issues has made it difficult to give Volvo "one more chance" to fix the problem.

I have always correspondended with Volvo in a respectfull and understanding manner. My letters simply stated facts and implored Volvo to respond with some form of directed assisance. If I had received the feedback and help that you had received, I might still be in a Volvo. As the issues transpired, the corporate response helped me in my final decision.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
In my area, there is only one Volvo dealer in a 60 mile radius. This does limit options and makes services an issue. The dealer was quite understanding and did try to assist me with the issues. However, in my face to face discussions and talks with the dealer, he seemed at a loss to be able to get any additional help or information. He noted that his source of contact was not better than mine at Volvo USA.

Having three dealers and service options in an area like Atlanta certainly does allow for more options. But, this makes one reticent to purchase a Volvo in an area with limited dealerships and representation.

In my area there is no Concierge service. The service department is busy and loaners are rare. Taking 1/2 day off for the frequents services or software updates that have occured to many customers is a major problem.
Seems odd as my understanding is the regional Volvo rep has a lot of authority, that is who approved my swap and then approved all the numbers to make it a true $0 transaction for me. I guess some regional reps are better than others.

Reactions: SeattleCat

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Seems odd as my understanding is the regional Volvo rep has a lot of authority, that is who approved my swap and then approved all the numbers to make it a true $0 transaction for me. I guess some regional reps are better than others.
For any job the range is from amazing to bloody aweful :)

At least it’s a volvo rep not the doctor trying to save your life :)

·
Registered
303 Posts

I fully appreciate that many owners have reported care free cars that are functioning without issues. Those of us with problems have been tolerant and willing to allow Volvo to try to fix the problems. Unfortunately, the lack of corporate support and assistance in resolving these ongoing issues has made it difficult to give Volvo "one more chance" to fix the problem.

I have always correspondended with Volvo in a respectfull and understanding manner. My letters simply stated facts and implored Volvo to respond with some form of directed assisance. If I had received the feedback and help that you had received, I might still be in a Volvo. As the issues transpired, the corporate response helped me in my final decision.
Sorry to quote this whole post, but the entirety speaks to the need for "right to repair" laws. Dealerships can not be allowed to have a monopoly on the repair or servicing of vehicles.

Some dealerships are great and they will thrive because they represent the brand. Some dealerships just aren't and there really isn't anything Volvo can do about it. Competition for service would allow Volvo to redirect customers away from nonperforming dealers or scale up availability of service when new models are released.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Sorry to quote this whole post, but the entirety speaks to the need for "right to repair" laws. Dealerships can not be allowed to have a monopoly on the repair or servicing of vehicles.

Some dealerships are great and they will thrive because they represent the brand. Some dealerships just aren't and there really isn't anything Volvo can do about it. Competition for service would allow Volvo to redirect customers away from nonperforming dealers or scale up availability of service when new models are released.
Do you mean to non volvo dealerships?

I thought we could go to any volvo dealer we wanted for service.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Yes, Joe's a Auto Repair should have the ability to get parts and technical manuals.
Agreed. I like the idea of a dealership have specialized knowledge making them do a better job but that is not the case at the moment so they loose all credibility in being the only place to go.

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,050 Posts
Yes, Joe's a Auto Repair should have the ability to get parts and technical manuals.
Looks to me like Volvo technical information, diagnostic data access, and parts ordering is available to any repair shop - or even DIY consumers - at least here in the US. Even "dealer-only" software updates. Not free, but open to anyone who wants to subscribe to these services:

Volvo Car Bookstore (volvotechinfo.com)

21 - 40 of 51 Posts