Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday, we took our first long trip, requiring several DC fast charges on route from Long Beach to Monterey, California (~360 miles). Everything went well and we partially or fully charged in Santa Barbara (EVGo on Chargepoint phone app after 125 miles), Pismo Beach (Electrify America with their app after another 100 miles) and in King City (Chargepoint Volvo in-car app, 63 miles from Monterey). It was after that that we started to have trouble. Right after the last charge, Android Assistant would no longer recognize my voice and respond. 12 minutes/12 miles later along the highway, an alert came on the driver's display “Coolant System Service Required”. 1 minute later, the orange turtle symbol (Temporary system failure) illuminated and the vehicle began to lose propulsion power and decelerate. We turned on our 4-way flashers and managed to limp to the offramp where we completely lost power. Managed to restart it and crawl to a parking lot, where we called Volvo. The closest Volvocar dealership was in Seaside/Monterey, another 50 miles away. They advised us that they could send a tow truck to get us or we could try to make it to the dealership. We choose to try as it was already late afternoon. We had powered off the vehicle for 10 minutes already, so we tried to drive and, although the “Coolant System” warning came on again, the car drove normally. 10 minutes later, the propulsion failed again. We pulled off the road, powered down for a few minutes and restarted. Same sequence – immediate Coolant System warning, turtle and power loss, but each time was different. This happened about 10 times before we finished our journey. Sometimes, it took only 30 seconds from restarting, sometimes 10 minutes. Sometimes propulsion loss was rapid and we coasted to a stop quickly,, other times, we had a pulsing, decrease in velocity, other times, it only gradually weakened and we were able to drive for several minutes along the side of the road with 4-way flashers at 30-40 mph, until losing all propulsion power. We eventually made it to our destination. The next morning (Saturday, yesterday) we drove to the Volvo/Land Rover/Jaguar dealership to leave it with them. Same sequence – Coolant warning, turtle and propulsion loss. Only that morning a new text alert stated “Propulsion System” something or other. The dealership service department was open, but their one EV tech will not be in until Monday. We’ll see what happens. I’ll keep you informed.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Ouch. I strongly suggest never push a car that is having coolant issues. Get the tow it’s the only way. I did the limp method on an ice vehicle and lost my engine …

That sounds awful though. A true mechanical or software causing mechanical failure. It is so odd with Evs that you cannot lift up the hood and see the heat build up. No where to point a thermal camera at.

For our info is your system up to date and do you have a heat pump.

Good luck.

·
Registered
325 Posts
On Friday, we took our first long trip, requiring several DC fast charges on route from Long Beach to Monterey, California (~360 miles). Everything went well and we partially or fully charged in Santa Barbara (EVGo on Chargepoint phone app after 125 miles), Pismo Beach (Electrify America with their app after another 100 miles) and in King City (Chargepoint Volvo in-car app, 63 miles from Monterey). It was after that that we started to have trouble. Right after the last charge, Android Assistant would no longer recognize my voice and respond. 12 minutes/12 miles later along the highway, an alert came on the driver's display “Coolant System Service Required”. 1 minute later, the orange turtle symbol (Temporary system failure) illuminated and the vehicle began to lose propulsion power and decelerate. We turned on our 4-way flashers and managed to limp to the offramp where we completely lost power. Managed to restart it and crawl to a parking lot, where we called Volvo. The closest Volvocar dealership was in Seaside/Monterey, another 50 miles away. They advised us that they could send a tow truck to get us or we could try to make it to the dealership. We choose to try as it was already late afternoon. We had powered off the vehicle for 10 minutes already, so we tried to drive and, although the “Coolant System” warning came on again, the car drove normally. 10 minutes later, the propulsion failed again. We pulled off the road, powered down for a few minutes and restarted. Same sequence – immediate Coolant System warning, turtle and power loss, but each time was different. This happened about 10 times before we finished our journey. Sometimes, it took only 30 seconds from restarting, sometimes 10 minutes. Sometimes propulsion loss was rapid and we coasted to a stop quickly,, other times, we had a pulsing, decrease in velocity, other times, it only gradually weakened and we were able to drive for several minutes along the side of the road with 4-way flashers at 30-40 mph, until losing all propulsion power. We eventually made it to our destination. The next morning (Saturday, yesterday) we drove to the Volvo/Land Rover/Jaguar dealership to leave it with them. Same sequence – Coolant warning, turtle and propulsion loss. Only that morning a new text alert stated “Propulsion System” something or other. The dealership service department was open, but their one EV tech will not be in until Monday. We’ll see what happens. I’ll keep you informed.
Sounds like it is more than a software issue - hopefully they will be able to diagnose quickly and get it fixed quickly - yes pls post the outcome - we will all be interested in knowing what caused this and what to do to prevent or how major a failure it is/was.

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
114 Posts
I'm so sorry you experienced this. I remember this exact issue (coolant & power loss) being an early recall and was one main reason P8s were being held at port for SW updates. If your SW is up-to-date, this is an obvious concern. Anyone else remember this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm so sorry you experienced this. I remember this exact issue (coolant & power loss) being an early recall and was one main reason P8s were being held at port for SW updates. If your SW is up-to-date, this is an obvious concern. Anyone else remember this?
I had a similar experience in a demo
Dealer was less than helpful
Make sure Volvo corporate is aware

·
Registered
83 Posts
A major point of EVs is lower maintenance. However, when something goes, it is likely to be electronic and expensive, and nothing the user can do in the field. I hope we are getting ahead of it here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I reported this in detail to the Dealer where we are being repaired, to Volvo Customer Care and too my dealership. Update on the issue: The tech says that it is a failed long coolant hose that snakes through the battery and also cools the axles. I don't know yet if it was faulty or damaged when built. The part was ordered yesterday and they expect to get it about now and hope that they can install it by end-of-day today (of course the technician has never done this before). Then, they can see if there is anything else that is at issue. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Too bad you had to take it to Monterey Volvo. In my experience with them they are not much of a dealer. I live right near them but bought my XC40 in Walnut Creek Ca. due to lack of interest from the Monterey dealer. They don't seem to understand the XC40 much at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I reported this in detail to the Dealer where we are being repaired, to Volvo Customer Care and too my dealership. Update on the issue: The tech says that it is a failed long coolant hose that snakes through the battery and also cools the axles. I don't know yet if it was faulty or damaged when built. The part was ordered yesterday and they expect to get it about now and hope that they can install it by end-of-day today (of course the technician has never done this before). Then, they can see if there is anything else that is at issue. I'll let you know.
So, the propulsion failure was apparently due to a crack in the plastic fitting at the end of the long coolant hose ("firewall connector"). The sensors detected a problem and the software shut down driving, causing my propulsion issues. The tech at Volvo of Monterey confirmed all this in the codes and checked for a leak and that the coolant tank was empty. The hose was replaced and system tested. We drove back to Long Beach (350 miles with 2 DC charges) with no problems. I am very pleased. Work was done under warranty with no charge. Volvo stepped up and offered to cover up to $500 in hotel and food costs through the Trip Interruption Program. I am delighted with the response and efforts of both Volvo of Monterey and Volvo Customer Care.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. Did they day how much it would of cost if You had to pay?

Also any word on how the damage happened?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you got it fixed. Did they day how much it would of cost if You had to pay?

Also any word on how the damage happened?
There was just a pro forma $100 approval, but I assumed that it would be under warranty. No data on how it happened. I suspect that it was an original flaw in the fitting or overtightening during the assembly of the vehicle in Belgium. If this appears in other Xc40 P8 Recharges, then Volvo might consider metal fittings instead of plastic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts