Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all XC40 Recharge owners - we need to flood Volvo customer care with requests on the promised features on the App that are still not available - hopefully this will move them to put more of a priority on this issue and before they move on to the development of the App for the next generation of electric cars.
Below is the response from Volvo Customer care after my first email:

I wanted to follow up with you regarding my recent discussion with our connected car team. I was reassured that the features you are requesting are in the works but was unsuccessful in obtaining an ETA for their release. I was advised that the driving journal is expected Q3 of 2022. The other features do not yet have planned introduction times but will become available for our Google vehicles. We do understand that there have been delays with the features in these cars and do apologize for this. We are actively working behind the scense to make these features available and provide you with a more enjoyable product experience. We do hope that you are now enjoying the Apple CarPlay update which was included in the most recent software update! I will continue to connect with our application team to request periodic updates on these features. If you would like to reach out directly by responding to this e-mail or calling the direct line below to request an update moving forward I would be more than happy to remain your point of contact.
Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns at this time. I am happy to assist. Thank you!
Med vänliga hälsningar!
Yours Sincerely,
Jennifer
Volvo Customer Care
201-735-8367
Announcing ‘Volvo Roadside Plus’ Learn More

Here is the email I just sent asking for more information and attempting to push them to advance the timeline of all the promised App features: We will see what the response is.

Hello Jennifer, Thanks so much for the quick follow-up with the connected car team and reply. It is very good to hear that the Driving Journal will be available by the end of September 2022 (Q3 2022). Prior to owning the XC40 P8 Recharge we had an 2019 XC40 T5 internal combustion engine vehicle – the App for that car had all the features and are not yet available on the P8 so, one would think it would not be that hard to enable those features for the P8. I know the Infotainment system is now driven by Google vs. Sensus but, I would not think it would take 2 years or more to have those features available. Other manufacturers that have electric cars do have all the features Volvo is promising available on their apps.

To not have these items after the car has been in the market for almost two years does not seem to be very customer experience focused? It also leads one to believe that the features may never become available as Volvo focuses on the next generation of electric vehicles. A priority needs to be placed on these items to make the App fully functional as promised at the time of the vehicle introduction.

The lack of priority on making the app functional needs to be elevated to higher management levels within the company so that the items promised will be available at least by the end of the Calendar year 2022.

I would appreciate it if you would elevate this request to the highest levels in the company and provide a response from the company as to why it is taking so long and what is being done to expedite the roll out of the promised features so they will be available by the end of the calendar year 2022!

Thanks so much for you support and follow up and looking forward to the reply to my request from the senior management team at Volvo regarding this important issue.

As a reminder here is a listing of the promised App functions/features:
Functions coming later:
  1. Map And Send Destination To Vehicle
  2. Unlocked car reminder
  3. Vehicle status
  4. Car location on map. Honk and Flash.
  5. Temperature at vehicle
  6. Driving Journal
  7. Vehicle details - VIN registration no.
  8. Battery range
  9. Remote start of air cleaning
Sincerely,
George Sportel

·
Registered
2022 Volvo C40 Fjord Blue Pure Electric Recharge Ultimat
203 Posts
Hello all XC40 Recharge owners - we need to flood Volvo customer care with requests on the promised features on the App that are still not available - hopefully this will move them to put more of a priority on this issue and before they move on to the development of the App for the next generation of electric cars.

I wanted to follow up with you regarding my recent discussion with our connected car team. I was reassured that the features you are requesting are in the works but was unsuccessful in obtaining an ETA for their release. I was advised that the driving journal is expected Q3 of 2022. The other features do not yet have planned introduction times but will become available for our Google vehicles. We do understand that there have been delays with the features in these cars and do apologize for this. We are actively working behind the scense to make these features available and provide you with a more enjoyable product experience. We do hope that you are now enjoying the Apple CarPlay update which was included in the most recent software update! I will continue to connect with our application team to request periodic updates on these features. If you would like to reach out directly by responding to this e-mail or calling the direct line below to request an update moving forward I would be more than happy to remain your point of contact.
Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns at this time. I am happy to assist. Thank you!
Med vänliga hälsningar!
Yours Sincerely,
Jennifer
Volvo Customer Care
201-735-8367

Here is the email I just sent asking for more information and attempting to push them to advance the timeline of all the promised App features: We will see what the response is.

Hello Jennifer, Thanks so much for the quick follow-up with the connected car team and reply. It is very good to hear that the Driving Journal will be available by the end of September 2022 (Q3 2022). Prior to owning the XC40 P8 Recharge we had an 2019 XC40 T5 internal combustion engine vehicle – the App for that car had all the features and are not yet available on the P8 so, one would think it would not be that hard to enable those features for the P8. I know the Infotainment system is now driven by Google vs. Sensus but, I would not think it would take 2 years or more to have those features available. Other manufacturers that have electric cars do have all the features Volvo is promising available on their apps.

To not have these items after the car has been in the market for almost two years does not seem to be very customer experience focused? It also leads one to believe that the features may never become available as Volvo focuses on the next generation of electric vehicles. A priority needs to be placed on these items to make the App fully functional as promised at the time of the vehicle introduction.

The lack of priority on making the app functional needs to be elevated to higher management levels within the company so that the items promised will be available at least by the end of the Calendar year 2022.

I would appreciate it if you would elevate this request to the highest levels in the company and provide a response from the company as to why it is taking so long and what is being done to expedite the roll out of the promised features so they will be available by the end of the calendar year 2022!

Thanks so much for you support and follow up and looking forward to the reply to my request from the senior management team at Volvo regarding this important issue.

Functions coming later:
  2. Unlocked car reminder
  3. Vehicle status
  6. Driving Journal
  8. Battery range
Sincerely,
George Sportel
Good work George! Let’s hope and pray that Volvos engineers are ahead of their product development roadmap and we
all can benefit from their OTA software updates.
It doesn’t seem like they are following a very robust agile software development cycle and if they are, their sprint planning needs to be reviewed!🙂

·
Registered
300 Posts
“To not have these items after the car has been in the market for almost two years does not seem to be very customer experience focused? It also leads one to believe that the features may never become available as Volvo focuses on the next generation of electric vehicles.”

You have hit the nail on the head. Anyone who has ever tried to use VOC or read Volvo’s owner survey questions (“What’s your favorite driving season?”) can see how little Volvo really cares about the driving experience of its existing EV owners. As long as demand for these cars far outpaces supply, Volvo has little incentive to pay attention to our suggestions.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Plus Sage Green
4 Posts
“To not have these items after the car has been in the market for almost two years does not seem to be very customer experience focused? It also leads one to believe that the features may never become available as Volvo focuses on the next generation of electric vehicles.”

You have hit the nail on the head. Anyone who has ever tried to use VOC or read Volvo’s owner survey questions (“What’s your favorite driving season?”) can see how little Volvo really cares about the driving experience of its existing EV owners. As long as demand for these cars far outpaces supply, Volvo has little incentive to pay attention to our suggestions.
I don't feel so jilted myself by updates and progress as I purchased my car in late March of this year (2022) and traded in a 2009 Nissan Altima (LOL). I would tell those very early adopters I am not surprised at the missteps, speed of progress, and broken promises. I have always been advised to wait until ~ year three of any new car model. This was a doozy of a change for Volvo too, so its impressive what they have pulled off coming from Volvo's previous car offerings. Polestar only started to produce the hybrid Polestar 1 in 2019 as well. For me in the short time I have had the car its been nice to see all the changes rolled out in each update and be able to compare the experience before and after CarPlay. Not sure CarPlay changed things for me as much as I thought it would - but I had also never had a car with so much tech. Just having an app to control some car functions seems amazing to me and it does the bare minimum of things I feel I'd use - I do like checking status of charge, that its locked and do use the climate feature. Not sure I need much more - but I guess when you are coming from nothing everything is better!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a really, really low bar for app improvement. Just let me rename my two, white 2021 XC40s so I can tell them apart in the app!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't feel so jolted myself by udates and progress as I purchased my car in late March of this year (2022) and traded in a 2009 NIssan Altima (LOL). I would tell those very early adopters I am not surprised at the missteps, speed of progress, and broken promises. I have always been advised to wait until ~ year three of any new car model. This was a dozy of a change for Volvo too, so its impressive what they have pulled off coming from Volvo's previous car offerings. Polestar only started to produce the hybrid Polestar 1 in 2019 as well. For me in the short time I have had the car its been nice to see all the changes rolled out in each update and be able to compare the experience before and after CarPlay. Not sure CarPlay changed things for me as much as I thought it would - but I had also never had a car with so much tech. Just having an app to control some car functions seems amazing to me and it does the bare minimum of things I feel I'd use - I do like checking status of charge, that its locked and do use the climate feature. Not sure I need much more - but I guess when you are coming from nothing everything is better!
Very well stated. I come from a Volvo driving background after having driven a 2004 XC90 2.5T FWD with a Bose surround sound and an awesome climate and versatility package. It was a 7 seater and I used all the seats in this car. I drove it for 18 straight years without an accident and became a Volvoer for life!😍.

The second generation XC90 came well equipped with BLIS and some more cutting edge safety features. I went from NONE of this to the C40 after having gushed and gushed on the 2022 XC90 Momentum trim. I spent years and years maintaining my XC90, from a very good Volvo service friend manager. The coolest thing was getting a loaner XC90 brand new whichever year I took it in to the shop for major service upgrades! The service has been impeccable and the guys local to me are warm, hospitable and flat out customer focused.

I am super happy with OTA2.2 and Apple Car Play with the AndroidGoogle integration! Is it fully baked, heck no? Room for improvement, heck yes? Look at all the C40 threads here. Am I excited for the future of Volvo C40, Fyeah. They do have a bold and brighter future their way and I feel features will come when they are well tested. I’d rather have well tested functional software than off the cuff ****.

I tested software for a living for 13 years, so I am a beta tester of my C40 product!! It’s good to be a forward thinker and a early adopter, in a urban city where not a single other C40 exists yet or I haven’t run into!

Onwards and upward - C40 Proud!😎🙌🔥🤙

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a really, really low bar for app improvement. Just let me rename my two, white 2021 XC40s so I can tell them apart in the app!!!
When I looked at my buddy’s Tesla Model Y app., it’s super slick. I really do understand why folks want to see a ton of mobility features. Another 2 years and these guys at Volvo Cars will surely catch up. The Tesla engineering teams (Yes I have respect for this brand, though will never buy a Tesla…almost checked out a Model Y out of my shopping cart in 2019 and than deleted it) have a “beyond the sky” vision when it came to product design. That is reflective in all of their models and there is still a tremendous wait to buy em.

I have hope in Polestar and Volvo working together to collaborate on niche features to the EV market. Polestar O2 - is my next dream EV roadster, unless Volvo can build one too! Can’t wait for the Volvo Embla though! 🙂

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’m thinking of jumping to Tesla, the Volvo just isn’t doing it for me with the tech, or lack of.. Decent car, but there are other options i want to explore.. The tech features of other cars is really interesting too me.. Also the top speed limiter is aggravating..

The rear emergency breaking makes me want to send the car to a crusher every time it happens.. Again, decent car, but its time for a change..

·
Registered
203 Posts
I’m thinking of jumping to Tesla, the Volvo just isn’t doing it for me with the tech, or lack of.. Decent car, but there are other options i want to explore.. The tech features of other cars is really interesting too me.. Also the top speed limiter is aggravating..

The rear emergency breaking makes me want to send the car to a crusher every time it happens.. Again, decent car, but its time for a change..
I don’t blame you. The EV market is super hawt right now. I just passed a Hyundai Ioniq this afternoon on my way home and it looks really nice. If you are considering options check out this Vietnamese EV VinFast, making waves in the USA market and have jumped right into the California market. The Volkswagen ID4 is making a huge buzz too with their EV plant busting out EVs in Chat town ( Chattanooga). Their starting price is around 36K which is amazing compared to the 60K top of the line C40! It’s going to be a very interesting EV market over the next 3 years. The Ford F-150 is kewl too along with the Mustang Mach E.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don’t blame you. The EV market is super hawt right now. I just passed a Hyundai Ioniq this afternoon on my way home and it looks really nice. If you are considering options check out this Vietnamese EV VinFast, making waves in the USA market and have jumped right into the California market. The Volkswagen ID4 is making a huge buzz too with their EV plant busting out EVs in Chat town ( Chattanooga). Their starting price is around 36K which is amazing compared to the 60K top of the line C40! It’s going to be a very interesting EV market over the next 3 years. The Ford F-150 is kewl too along with the Mustang Mach E.
All those you mentioned are great, i like performance so something zippy and fast is preferable. The lack luster charging speeds and weak range kinda gets me a bit as well.. the XC is my first EV, it has been a good learning experience, and has me aware of what i want in the next one..

·
Registered
203 Posts
All those you mentioned are great, i like performance so something zippy and fast is preferable. The lack luster charging speeds and weak range kinda gets me a bit as well.. the XC is my first EV, it has been a good learning experience, and has me aware of what i want in the next one..
What about Polestar? 😉😉

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Med vänliga hälsningar!
Yours Sincerely,
Jennifer
Volvo Customer Care
201-735-8367

Functions coming later:
  2. Unlocked car reminder
  3. Vehicle status
  6. Driving Journal
  8. Battery range
Sincerely,
George Sportel
Here is the latest reply from the Volvo Care Team - it does provide some more detail regarding the App development and the delivery of promised features seems promising based on the response.
Hello George,

I can understand, as a consumer myself, that the delays in these features affects your product experience. Two years is a very long time to wait. I have escalated to the highest point of contact to attempt to receive more information on the delays and any confirmation that the features will be available by the end of 2022.

What I was informed during my discussion was, as with any software, it is difficult to provide an exact ETA. The features are actively being worked on and while we would like to confirm that they will be available by the end of 2022 we can not predict any unforeseen software bugs that require correction before their final release. Our 2023 lineup is compromised on entirely Google based vehicles so I can assure you this is top priority. Our engineers in Sweden are working collectively with our connected car team to release the features. The air cleaning and unlocked car reminder should be coming very soon, i am sorry we do not have an exact ETA. The Map and Send feature has changed for these vehicles. You would be able to utilize this function now by following the 3 steps below:

1. Search an Address of Interest in Google Maps, either from a computer or on a mobile device. Click the SAVE button.
2. Choose a category to save the address under.
3. Go out to the car and open Google Maps in the Center Display. Open the Search Bar and press on Saved > and then the chosen Category. The Address will appear here. Tap on it to begin navigation.

I was advised the Battery range is unconfirmed, in regard to the availability, and when our contacts in Sweden return to the offices we can revisit this feature to determine if it will be added. We can also follow up at that time on the remaining features.

I'm happy to answer any other questions in the meantime. I hope that this additional information, although limited, is somewhat helpful. Thank you!
Med vänliga hälsningar!

Yours Sincerely,

Jennifer
Volvo Customer Care
201-735-8367

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Plus Sage Green
4 Posts

I agree Tesla has a better phone app and better tech interface in general. Problem is, except for the Tesla Model S, car designs are God awful looking to me (both the Y and 3 look like a weird catfish from the front to me). Also, a full glass roof with no sunshade would be horrible. I was drawn to the XC40 Recharge due to the higher ground clearance and more traditional SUV look, and the dual motor offering is actually very cost competitive and unbelievably enjoyable. I guess to each their own!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Here is the latest reply from the Volvo Care Team - it does provide some more detail regarding the App development and the delivery of promised features seems promising based on the response.
Hello George,

I can understand, as a consumer myself, that the delays in these features affects your product experience. Two years is a very long time to wait. I have escalated to the highest point of contact to attempt to receive more information on the delays and any confirmation that the features will be available by the end of 2022.

What I was informed during my discussion was, as with any software, it is difficult to provide an exact ETA. The features are actively being worked on and while we would like to confirm that they will be available by the end of 2022 we can not predict any unforeseen software bugs that require correction before their final release. Our 2023 lineup is compromised on entirely Google based vehicles so I can assure you this is top priority. Our engineers in Sweden are working collectively with our connected car team to release the features. The air cleaning and unlocked car reminder should be coming very soon, i am sorry we do not have an exact ETA. The Map and Send feature has changed for these vehicles. You would be able to utilize this function now by following the 3 steps below:

1. Search an Address of Interest in Google Maps, either from a computer or on a mobile device. Click the SAVE button.
2. Choose a category to save the address under.
3. Go out to the car and open Google Maps in the Center Display. Open the Search Bar and press on Saved > and then the chosen Category. The Address will appear here. Tap on it to begin navigation.

I was advised the Battery range is unconfirmed, in regard to the availability, and when our contacts in Sweden return to the offices we can revisit this feature to determine if it will be added. We can also follow up at that time on the remaining features.

I'm happy to answer any other questions in the meantime. I hope that this additional information, although limited, is somewhat helpful. Thank you!
Med vänliga hälsningar!

Yours Sincerely,

Jennifer
Volvo Customer Care
201-735-8367
Promising. Thanks for sharing and keeping these guys honest! 🤙🙌

·
Registered
12 Posts

The XC40 does not come with Z rated tires so the limiter is for our own good. I know if the car would let me go faster I would, but it is just not designed for that. Also, the backup STOP is something you will appreciate when it keeps you from running over your dog or child that darts in the way. I used to hate it too, but now I love it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The XC40 does not come with Z rated tires so the limiter is for our own good. I know if the car would let me go faster I would, but it is just not designed for that. Also, the backup STOP is something you will appreciate when it keeps you from running over your dog or child that darts in the way. I used to hate it too, but now I love it.
Agree on the tires.. my children at 25 and deceased (31) my dogs are inside when I back up.. Ive managed to make it to just under 60 years old with out running over my dogs and children.. Not one of my cars has ever done the rather ridiculous BS this one does…

1 - 18 of 18 Posts