Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have three drivers with their own keys (2x black, 1x orange), three smartphones, and three profiles. Prior to the 1.8 software update we could switch profiles by ensuring the car was locked, then the profile switched automatically to match the person that unlocked the car.

After the 1.8 upgrade this no longer works. We have reset the infotainment system on a few different occasions (hold down the center button until the center screen reboots), but this has not restored the profile switching functionality.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Any suggestions? I was considering deleting the profiles and re-creating them but that will be a bit of a pain.

Thanks!

· Registered
784 Posts
We have three drivers with their own keys (2x black, 1x orange), three smartphones, and three profiles. Prior to the 1.8 software update we could switch profiles by ensuring the car was locked, then the profile switched automatically to match the person that unlocked the car.

After the 1.8 upgrade this no longer works. We have reset the infotainment system on a few different occasions (hold down the center button until the center screen reboots), but this has not restored the profile switching functionality.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Any suggestions? I was considering deleting the profiles and re-creating them but that will be a bit of a pain.

Thanks!
You do not have to delete the profiles - just disconnect one at a time from the appropriate Key with the key in the car then re-connect the profile to the key with only that key in the car and that will re-set it so the key will work so it changes the profile when the car is unlocked with the key in hand or in pocket - this is done thru the many settings menu in profiles - hope this helps.

· Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
45 Posts
We had this issue too - disconnected, reconnected without success. Twice each profile. Then I tried disconnecting the appointed key in each profile, one at a time, and reconnecting them… magically it al went back to the way it was. SO frustrating that this occurs with every upgrade!!

· Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
536 Posts
Can someone else validate this? For me, the profile that is loaded when you get in is the last one used for that key. It ignores the one chosen in settings. It's maybe a bug or they are changing it to be that behavior going forward.

· Registered
448 Posts
It’s been hit or miss for us, too. All three keys, same as OP.

· Registered
784 Posts
Can someone else validate this? For me, the profile that is loaded when you get in is the last one used for that key. It ignores the one chosen in settings. It's maybe a bug or they are changing it to be that behavior going forward.
If you are using the key of the person who last used the car yes it will stay on that persons profile - but if you go to the main screen you can choose another persons profile assuming more than one loaded and settings will change to the profile you choose. On the main screen tap on the persons profile initials - that opens the profile screen and you can then choose an alternate profile. Hope that helps.

· Registered
448 Posts
If you are using the key of the person who last used the car yes it will stay on that persons profile - but if you go to the main screen you can choose another persons profile assuming more than one loaded and settings will change to the profile you choose. On the main screen tap on the persons profile initials - that opens the profile screen and you can then choose an alternate profile. Hope that helps.
Sure, that works as a work-around, but it should auto select when the key is presented.

Reactions: Greg S

· Registered
784 Posts
Sure, that works as a work-around, but it should auto select when the key is presented.
Yes that is a work around until you do what I had explained above and what Andyharvey has explained above as well.
Minor issue and is easily fixed - takes a couple of minutes, until they get this bug ironed out.

· Registered
448 Posts
Yes that is a work around until you do what I had explained above and what Andyharvey has explained above as well.
Minor issue and is easily fixed - takes a couple of minutes, until they get this bug ironed out.
Actually, I’m having that issue on one of my vehicles that was fully factory reset after 1.8 (ongoing issues pairing app, see other thread). I can try it again, but the upgrade happened before the keys were matched to the profiles.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tips everyone. I will try the procedure tomorrow and report back with results in case anyone else is searching for this issue.
Thank you for the tips Welland Canada Recharge and JesInToronto. Here is exact procedure I followed to fix the problem in case it helps anyone else:

Initial state:
  1. Ensure car is locked.
Procedure for removing keys from profiles:
  1. Approach car with Key #1 (all other keys are far away from the car in the house).
  2. Unlock car.
  3. On center console swipe down from the top and tap the name of the profile (not the log out option).
  4. Use the pop-up window to switch to the profile associated with Key #1.
  5. Select profile settings using the setting wheel icon on the bottom right of the screen.
  6. Remove the key from the profile.
  7. Lock Car.
  8. Take Key #1 away from the vehicle.
  9. Repeat steps 1 - 8 using Key #2 and Key #3 and the profiles associated with Key #2 and Key #3.

Procedure for adding keys to profiles:
  1. Approach car with Key #1 (all other keys are far away from the car in the house).
  2. Unlock car.
  3. On center console swipe down from the top and tap the name of the profile (not the log out option).
  4. Use the pop-up window to switch to the profile you want associated with Key #1.
  5. Select profile settings using the setting wheel icon on the bottom right of the screen.
  6. Add the key to the profile.
  7. Lock Car.
  8. Take Key #1 away from the vehicle.
  9. Repeat steps 1 - 8 using Key #2 and Key #3 and the profiles you want to associate with Key #2 and Key #3.

After this the profiles automatically switch when specific keys are used to unlock the car.

Thanks again for the tips!

· Registered
514 Posts
We got annoyed by having two profiles and just deleted the secondary profile in each vehicle. My profile in my car and my wife’s profile in her car. Our profiles were basically the same, so no point in having two.

· Registered
7 Posts
Concur that the swapping of the profiles is not... relaxing. Especially for those users (like my wife and I) that only use one key. It would be much nicer if the swapping was based upon the phone that connects (since it is also possible to setup a new profile based on the phone, not just a physical key), and have that profile load upon lock/unlock cycle. Gave up on dual profiles being a good thing to use, when going out in town and the profile always switching back to my wife's, even though she wasn't with me. (media logins/driving preferences) Also, why no key-inside-alert/walk-away-lock function?

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Concur that the swapping of the profiles is not... relaxing. Especially for those users (like my wife and I) that only use one key. It would be much nicer if the swapping was based upon the phone that connects (since it is also possible to setup a new profile based on the phone, not just a physical key), and have that profile load upon lock/unlock cycle. Gave up on dual profiles being a good thing to use, when going out in town and the profile always switching back to my wife's, even though she wasn't with me. (media logins/driving preferences) Also, why no key-inside-alert/walk-away-lock function?

All my previous cars the profile switched based on which key opened the driver's door (whether by using key button of hand opening handle). Volvo seems to separate the profile from the memory seats and then if the main key opens the hatch the profile will use that key as opening the rear hatch unlocks the car. I would like the option in the profile for setting for memory seats (1, 2 or last) and also a setting to adjust profile based on whic key opens the door (regardless if the door is locked). I never locked my cars in the garage before and now almost have to to make sure the profile switches properly. I prefer not to lock it as I find the "deep sleep" mode of the car is actually more problematic that leaving it unlocked. Darn car reboots more than any Windows system I have evey used (and I date back to 3.1).

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,493 Posts
Dealer just updated our software from pre-V1.7 to V1.8.1 a few weeks ago. We only noticed this problem when my partner went to drive the car the other day for the first time since the update and the profile didn’t switch to his when he unlocked using his key. Thanks for info above - we’ll try the @csol procedure above and hopefully we’ll be back to normal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.