Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I鈥檝e had my P8 since the end of May. (Only have 600 miles on it! 馃槀)

I realized today that I never set up my Google User Profile on it. My questions are:

1. Could this be why I haven鈥檛 received the OTA update?

2. Is it better to set up a new gmail account to use specifically for the car or use the one I鈥檝e already had for years ?

(My apologies if there is already a thread on this.)

Registered
1. My gut says no.
2. It depends. I'm a Google guy. My home is Google, my phone, my TV and music all Google. By using the same account Google knows my voice, my playlists, my home, work and commute and all my favorite places. If we put in the same search for restaurants we'll get different results. Google will prioritize places that fit my profile.

But, I pay for this with a loss of privacy. If you are an underworld crime boss or an investigative reporter you probably shouldn't own this or any modern car but you certainly shouldn't use your regular Google account.

Most people fall somewhere in between. Just realize you can always give more privacy away but you can never get it back.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. My gut says no.
2. It depends. I'm a Google guy. My home is Google, my phone, my TV and music all Google. By using the same account Google knows my voice, my playlists, my home, work and commute and all my favorite places. If we put in the same search for restaurants we'll get different results. Google will prioritize places that fit my profile.

But, I pay for this with a loss of privacy. If you are an underworld crime boss or an investigative reporter you probably shouldn't own this or any modern car but you certainly shouldn't use your regular Google account.

Most people fall somewhere in between. Just realize you can always give more privacy away but you can never get it back.

That makes sense. I don鈥檛 use Google for anything other than searches online, Google drive, and my one gmail account. lol I am definitely not a crime boss or reporter, so that鈥檚 of no concern. But after watching The Great Hack I am concerned a bit about privacy and data points on me. I knew that this car had Google on it, but I truly do not like Tesla鈥檚 and other than that I fell in love with this car in every other way.

I think maybe a new email account would suffice. Thanks for your reply. Hoping I get the update soon. 馃馃徏

Does anyone happen to know what features I鈥檓 not getting by not having set up my Google profile on the car yet (if any)?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty sure you won鈥檛 be able to use the Google Play store to download or update apps, without an account.

Ahh that makes sense. Speaking of apps, which ones are good to have on the car? I鈥檓 an Apple/Mac person so the android stuff is all new to me.

My other car is a 2014 Acura MDX and it doesn鈥檛 have app capabilities so this is all super new to me.

Registered
Speaking of apps, which ones are good to have on the car?
Your main apps available now are for media.
Music: YouTube Music, Spotify (edit: is there a Spotify app?)
Audio Books: Libby
Podcasts: Pocket Casts

There is also the ChargePoint app that's slightly better than Google Maps for station information and can be used to initiate charging at ChargePoint, EVgo and other network partner stations.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your main apps available now are for media.
Music: YouTube Music, Spotify (edit: is there a Spotify app?)
Audio Books: Libby
Podcasts: Pocket Casts

There is also the ChargePoint app that's slightly better than Google Maps for station information and can be used to initiate charging at ChargePoint, EVgo and other network partner stations.

Out of the ones you listed, I can only see myself using the ChargePoint app. I use Spotify now, but just have it hooked up through the Bluetooth which works wonderfully.

Registered
If you use Google maps on a pc or phone, signed in under the same google account as the car, then your maps search history in the car will be the same - just tap the search box in the car to bring up your recent maps searches from anywhere else. Just be careful what you search for.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you use Google maps on a pc or phone, signed in under the same google account as the car, then your maps search history in the car will be the same - just tap the search box in the car to bring up your recent maps searches from anywhere else. Just be careful what you search for.

That makes sense about the maps and emails. What would be something you wouldn鈥檛 want to search for on maps? I鈥檓 curious.

Registered
What would be something you wouldn鈥檛 want to search for on maps? I鈥檓 curious.
A friend was on a business trip with a colleague, and when the colleague plugged his phone into the rental car, the car displayed some of his recent searches, which included looking for gay bars. OK but it was probably more info than his colleague had intended to disclose at the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts