Volvo XC40 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 186 Posts

· Registered
300 Posts
This is a confusing comment to me. Was it implied somewhere that there was a software issue with the Toyota?
The article states, “Notably, the car’s electric drive systems are not affected by the recall – the battery and drive motor are working perfectly fine.” So perhaps he is making the point that the problem has nothing to do with the fact that the car is an EV and so may not belong in a thread about problems with other companies’ EVs.

· Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·

· Registered
2023, XC40 Recharge, Fjord Blue
22 Posts
"Rivian Automotive said Friday it is recalling almost all the vehicles it has delivered to customers in order to tighten a loose fastener that could affect drivers' ability to steer. The Electric truck and SUV maker, which was founded in 2009, said it is recalling about 13,000 vehicles because a fastener connecting the vehicles' front upper-control arm and steering knuckle may not be torqued enough."

Rivian recalls about 13,000 vehicles

· Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
"Rivian Automotive said Friday it is recalling almost all the vehicles it has delivered to customers in order to tighten a loose fastener that could affect drivers' ability to steer. The Electric truck and SUV maker, which was founded in 2009, said it is recalling about 13,000 vehicles because a fastener connecting the vehicles' front upper-control arm and steering knuckle may not be torqued enough."

Rivian recalls about 13,000 vehicles
Good job they “caught it” glad I don’t have one as that would seriously test faith as it is a basic mechanical mistake which no experienced car maker should make.

Makes me wonder how the apple ev will be …

· Registered
514 Posts
Good job they “caught it” glad I don’t have one as that would seriously test faith as it is a basic mechanical mistake which no experienced car maker should make.

Makes me wonder how the apple ev will be …
This was actually a voluntary recall and they are also increasing the torque of that fastener quite a bit, so they wanted all trucks brought in to get this done.

Unfortunately we’ve had a lot more bugs/issues with our Volvos than I have with the Rivian. My wife loves her XC40, but kind of getting sick of all the bugs and abnormalities in the software.

· Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
This was actually a voluntary recall and they are also increasing the torque of that fastener quite a bit, so they wanted all trucks brought in to get this done.

Unfortunately we’ve had a lot more bugs/issues with our Volvos than I have with the Rivian. My wife loves her XC40, but kind of getting sick of all the bugs and abnormalities in the software.
I stand corrected :)

Thanks for the clarification. Wish car manufacturers would do this sort of thing more proactively :)

· Registered
C40, 2023, Red!
500 Posts
... Wish car manufacturers would do this sort of thing more proactively :)
This is fascinating thread and I thank everyone for the research and posts with links to the stories.

A few years ago, I read an article from the US safety people about how flaws are discovered and reported back to manufacurers and how recalls are handled. Mentioned were the Chevrolet Corvair (which turned out to be a hoax by Ralph Nader), Ford Pinto gas tanks, and the more recent VW deiselgate. The processes have changed in the last decade with more reliance on computers to run the car and to record errors that can help detect manufacturing or assembly issues or flaws in components. The present state of recalls is apparently driven as much by software feedback as reports from customers and drivers and the use of social media implies a bit a more transparency, possibly. Serious defects cannot remain hidden for long.

· Registered
514 Posts
I stand corrected :)

Thanks for the clarification. Wish car manufacturers would do this sort of thing more proactively :)
I mean if you look you might see one or two trucks where the wheel tipped over. 😂 But based on few reports they are bringing everything in and increasing the torque.

· Registered
318 Posts
I towed a 2017 Tacoma on a uhaul trailer. 105 miles used half of my battery capacity. On the way back with an empty trailer I used my maybe 35 percent. I also charged for 18 minutes and added 45kwh to the battery. Towing is not the horror show that the media depicts.

· Registered
318 Posts
You're saying you have a Ford Lightning? Cool. I should think outfits like MotorTrend would be running objective tests with competent evaluation. But I don't have an EV pickup.
Yes. Took delivery on Friday Oct 7. I towed my Tacoma from the Burlington VT area to Glens Falls NY so that carvana could give me a bigger check than anyone closer. Towing with almost 7k behind the lightning felt effortless. I've seen many reviews of how bad the range is and how this truck is a POS. If you stay within its range limits it is incredible. EV are so much more pleasant to drive.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Sky

· Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Was at a EA station and saw one of the big full size bmw EVs roll in so I went to chat with them (I always chat with other ev owners, great way to find out how things are going with other cars).

So….. someone ran a red light and hit his real panel . . .
He went to bmw they said they cannot fix it. . .
They said they can take the door off and send it Germany to fix.

They said it will be …DRUM ROLL… one year to fix . . .
The owner said but what am I meant to do for a year . . .they said sorry. . .

**** when waiting one year just to have a fiber glass panel fixed is the best time line . . .

Are we going to see lots of beaten up BMWs driving around? Perhaps an after market group will start fixing them.

I know some people on here have had problems that’s have caused their cars to go away for a long time but this is a situation where the PLAN is to take a year! And that is for a way more expensive car.

I would of laughed internally if the chap was not so nice.

101 - 120 of 186 Posts