Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought about this for a while. I would like this to be a repository of stories/links about other companies ev failures.

The goal is not to put them down but to bring clarity on the actual state of evs that are available today.

In general we only get info on our Volvo’s problems creating a perception that the grass is greener on the other side.

Starting with an article I saw today.

·
Registered
344 Posts
What surprises me is how most EV's suffer the problem of keeping the 12V battery properly charged.

On the one hand, it seems it should be almost trivial to keep the 12V battery charged, especially when compared to all of the other technologies in the car, and when you consider there is the High-Voltage battery available 100% of the time to keep the 12V battery "topped off", assuming no other issues. Even if there is a parasitic leak causing the 12V battery to discharge, I would think that the car would sense the 12V falling below the optimum level, and the HV battery then kicking in to charge the battery, followed by the car alerting the driver to a fault and to bring the car in for service.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
552 Posts
The topic resonates with "How reliable are the EVs?", and that depends on some factors. Unfortunately no matter how many reviews or videos are there no one can answer that question with some confidence. These are journalists and influencers not engineers, and engineers do not write reviews or articles. It is like finding the elephant hiding in plain sight.
First going back to good old ICE and the computers responsible for the engine management and transmission controls. These computers are made mainly by two companies - Bosch and Denso. Software involved is more or less similar. Both companies were around for some time, their products are will refines and they are spatialized to make that product. Errors or defects are rarely present.
EVs are completely the opposite. Computers, software, hardware everything is developed by the manufacturers. Huge struggle for the car makers. They have to develop new departments, hire new consultants, create new lines and manufacturing facilities. That is very unusual, complicated and completely new for all. What is happening is that instead to have companies that traditionally will make the electronics (Bosch and Denso) now it is completely different. That is why we see TCAM module made by Continental, manufacturer known for making tires. It is a mess but actually it is not.
Computer power supplies (that one is good example to illustrate where the industry is heading) are made by 3 or 4 manufacturers in the world and there are hundreds of brands. Computer power supply developer lets say Corsair goes there says the specifications and what they want and they get the how much. That is why we can see 850W power supplies for $270 and $120. Depends on the parts inside and functions. It is very similar to EV electronics.
Software is another brand new frontier. New Volvo CEO said that Volvo needs to become high-tech company as well (more or less) and actually he has good reasons to say that. Certainly Volvo can pay to some company in Vietnam to write the code but than they have to check everything and put it to trial. They do not have a choice, they have to do that.
Before it was easy - make the engine, put the curb together, get the suppliers (logistics) and put the car together. Right now is develop the software for everything in the EV, and that is half of the car. Without reliable software the car is not going to work.
If someone think that other manufactures products are better is deadly wrong. Volvo is paying good money to suppliers to get good product and they are not trying to cut corners. I agree that XC40 has some cheap materials (carpets for example) but better have cheap carpets instead cheap battery management.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Ultimate, Sage Green
267 Posts
Manufacturer Ford Motor Company
Components VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL, POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected 464
Summary
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles equipped with all-wheel drive. The powertrain control module (PCM) functional safety software may fail to detect a software error, resulting in unintended acceleration, unintended deceleration, or a loss of drive power.
Remedy
The PCM software will be updated by a dealer, or through an over-the-air (OTA) update, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed May 30, 2022. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-800-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 22S29.

Manufacturer Hyundai Motor America (+9014 Kia EV6)
Components PARKING BRAKE
Potential Number of Units Affected 10,729
Summary
Hyundai Motor America (Hyundai) is recalling certain 2022 Ioniq 5 vehicles. A software error in the Shifter Control Unit (SCU) may disengage the parking mechanism, which can allow the vehicle to rollaway.
Remedy
Drivers are recommended to use the Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) when parking their vehicles until the remedy has been performed. Dealers will update the Shifter Control Unit software, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed July 10, 2022. Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-855-371-9460. Hyundai's number for this recall is 228.

Manufacturer Tesla, Inc.
Components BACK OVER PREVENTION, EQUIPMENT
Potential Number of Units Affected 129,960
Summary
Tesla, Inc. (Tesla) is recalling certain 2021-2022 Model S, Model X, and 2022 Model 3 and Model Y vehicles operating certain firmware releases. The infotainment central processing unit (CPU) may overheat during the preparation or process of fast-charging, causing the CPU to lag or restart.
Remedy
Tesla will perform an over-the-air (OTA) software update that will improve CPU temperature management, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed July 1, 2022. Owners may contact Tesla customer service at 1-877-798-3752. Tesla's number for this recall is SB-22-00-009.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Ultimate, Sage Green
267 Posts
And don’t worry, there’s lots and lots of non EVs! This is just a sampling of those who feel their Volvo is a lost cause. The parts replacement issue is universal and isn’t confined to cars. As for the software, ask any VW owner about their ID.4 - out since March 2021, updates in N America 0, while Europe has had quite a few. It could be worse.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
370 Posts
There's a couple local to Northern Virginia who regularly post EV videos from their personal experience. They had a number of issues with a Mach-E and got rid of it after a few months.

I subscribed to their vlog. At first they loved the MMe. They they started having problems that Ford couldn’t resolve. So the soldthe MME and bought a Kia EV6. They also have a Tesla.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
370 Posts
And don’t worry, there’s lots and lots of non EVs! This is just a sampling of those who feel their Volvo is a lost cause. The parts replacement issue is universal and isn’t confined to cars. As for the software, ask any VW owner about their ID.4 - out since March 2021, updates in N America 0, while Europe has had quite a few. It could be worse.
My neighbor recently bought MB EQS. He had a problem that required a replacement part. First, part wasn’t listed in the order system. Then, it took 2 weeks to receive the part.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I subscribed to their vlog. At first they loved the MMe. They they started having problems that Ford couldn’t resolve. So the soldthe MME and bought a Kia EV6. They also have a Tesla.
And the Kia replaced an Ioniq 5. They swapped the wheels between the two before getting rid of the Ioniq 5. I wonder if they’ll post a reaction to the Kia/Hyundai parking brake software recall.

·
Registered
463 Posts
YouTube is littered with videos of ev drivers with dead 12v batteries. This is what I have seen the most of and then infotainment software issues. Small potatoes compared to recall stuff but anyone that has these issues it’s not fun.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
YouTube is littered with videos of ev drivers with dead 12v batteries. This is what I have seen the most of and then infotainment software issues. Small potatoes compared to recall stuff but anyone that has these issues it’s not fun.
Talked to a tow truck driver the other day when he towed my flat tires car. He said he gets to go to a lot of dead evs from all different manufacturers. Dead teslas with dead 12 volts being the most common (of course as there are more of them). So the 12 volt issue is I feel a generic issue common to all for now :(

I wonder if the ev charging of the 12 volt is harsher than in an ice?

Reactions: Ces

·
Registered
463 Posts
Talked to a tow truck driver the other day when he towed my flat tires car. He said he gets to go to a lot of dead evs from all different manufacturers. Dead teslas with dead 12 volts being the most common (of course as there are more of them). So the 12 volt issue is I feel a generic issue common to all for now :(

I wonder if the ev charging of the 12 volt is harsher than in an ice?
Something going on there. Seems like such a simple issue but all the EV’s having issues. Mach E’s reporting loads of dead 12v too.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts