Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These past couple of days I have been unable to disconnect the charging cable using the button beside the charging port on the car. I have to go to the info console and select “unlock cable” then it works
Anyone have any ideas on why this has suddenly happened?

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
569 Posts
I had kind of experience yesterday. Charging was done and I couldn't disconnect without the key. Anyway for second time a got 78% SOC with 80% set last evening. This morning I saw 81%. Car unplugged since last evening. I have to check the manual and eventually send email to Volvo.
Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel Steering part

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,492 Posts
I tried unplugging the cable the other day while the car was locked (the car had finished charging). I pushed the button and it went thru some colour flashes on the LED next to the charge port (including some red flashes) and ended up green. I assumed maybe car had to be unlocked...didn’t have my key with me, but did have phone...was able to unlock car with phone app (miracle!) and then using button by charger worked to unlock cable. I hadn’t thought about it in the past but I assume maybe the cable remains locked in place while the car is locked so you don’t get somebody randomly unplugging your car at a charger just to be a d**k.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That kind of makes sense. But it’s another Volvo surprise as it previously wasn’t locked without a key

I tried unplugging the cable the other day while the car was locked (the car had finished charging). I pushed the button and it went thru some colour flashes on the LED next to the charge port (including some red flashes) and ended up green. I assumed maybe car had to be unlocked...didn’t have my key with me, but did have phone...was able to unlock car with phone app (miracle!) and then using button by charger worked to unlock cable. I hadn’t thought about it in the past but I assume maybe the cable remains locked in place while the car is locked so you don’t get somebody randomly unplugging your car at a charger just to be a d**k.

· Registered
101 Posts
Yes I found I had to have the car unlocked and have the key with me in order to unplug the cable ... weird but alas, true

· Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,190 Posts
Yes I found I had to have the car unlocked and have the key with me in order to unplug the cable ... weird but alas, true
Not so weird - pretty sure this is true of every EV. The charging cable is locked in place and can't be removed while the car is locked.

· Read Only
71 Posts
These past couple of days I have been unable to disconnect the charging cable using the button beside the charging port on the car. I have to go to the info console and select “unlock cable” then it works
Anyone have any ideas on why this has suddenly happened?
The button next to the charge port has never worked for me at all.

· Registered
1,492 Posts
The button next to the charge port has never worked for me at all.
As far as I know (based on owning our car since September), the car has to be unlocked OR You have to have your key with you, otherwise the button won’t unlock the cable. If the button doesn’t unlock the cable with the car unlocked, then it sounds like there’s a problem with the car and you’ll need to take it to the dealer unfortunately. Note I’m basing this on using the provided AC slow charge cable. There may be differences with using DC fast chargers. I haven’t used them much and can’t recall if I had to push the button to unlock the cable or whether it unlocked when I stopped the charging session. I probably would have pushed the button to unlock based on the habit given I do 95% of charging at home.

· Read Only
71 Posts
As far as I know (based on owning our car since September), the car has to be unlocked OR You have to have your key with you, otherwise the button won’t unlock the cable. If the button doesn’t unlock the cable with the car unlocked, then it sounds like there’s a problem with the car and you’ll need to take it to the dealer unfortunately. Note I’m basing this on using the provided AC slow charge cable. There may be differences with using DC fast chargers. I haven’t used them much and can’t recall if I had to push the button to unlock the cable or whether it unlocked when I stopped the charging session. I probably would have pushed the button to unlock based on the habit given I do 95% of charging at home.
I don't have a dedicated car charger port at home ( the demand for these things is crazy right now and I can't get an install booked ), so I'm trying to charge at home from a standard 3 point socket in my garage. Being the UK, my garage is cramped and getting around the car when it's parked inside is tight going. At the moment to get the car off the charger I have to get all the way around into the driver seat, click the unlock on the dash then go all the way back around and unplug the cable. I assumed the external cable release didn't release when the charge was in progress. Although in which case I can't fathom when you'd ever use it. At fast chargers in the wild getting around the car isn't a drama (but why are tethered charge cables so short? and why did Volvo stick the charge port on the rear side of the car? ). I tend to end the charging session from the charger, or from the mobile app and at that point it seems to unlock the cable. So I guess I'd always assumed the unlock button was a feature useful in limited circumstances. That was my best attempt to pretend it wasn't just another broken thing.

· Registered
1,492 Posts
I don't have a dedicated car charger port at home ( the demand for these things is crazy right now and I can't get an install booked ), so I'm trying to charge at home from a standard 3 point socket in my garage. Being the UK, my garage is cramped and getting around the car when it's parked inside is tight going. At the moment to get the car off the charger I have to get all the way around into the driver seat, click the unlock on the dash then go all the way back around and unplug the cable. I assumed the external cable release didn't release when the charge was in progress. Although in which case I can't fathom when you'd ever use it. At fast chargers in the wild getting around the car isn't a drama (but why are tethered charge cables so short? and why did Volvo stick the charge port on the rear side of the car? ). I tend to end the charging session from the charger, or from the mobile app and at that point it seems to unlock the cable. So I guess I'd always assumed the unlock button was a feature useful in limited circumstances. That was my best attempt to pretend it wasn't just another broken thing.
Ahh, OK, well if you’re just using the home cable (as am I)…yeah, when you push the button next to the charge port, it will stop the charge and unlock the cable, then you can pull out the cable…so give that a try. A lot easier than getting in the car and pushing the release button on the screen, then going back to remove the cable! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.