Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with the colder temperatures coming I am wondering how this works. If my car is say charged to 100% ready for a long trip and I want to precondition it for the cold weather before I leave in the morning do I just set the timer for departure time? If the car is fully charged is the battery able to still pull from the plugged in car charger to pre-condition?

thanks!

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
388 Posts
So with the colder temperatures coming I am wondering how this works. If my car is say charged to 100% ready for a long trip and I want to precondition it for the cold weather before I leave in the morning do I just set the timer for departure time? If the car is fully charged is the battery able to still pull from the plugged in car charger to pre-condition?

thanks!
My understanding is yes. If the car is plugged in, even if it has reached the charge limit and the charging switches off, the charging should switch back on when the climate pre-conditioning switches on so it only draws current from the wall. Also, as mentioned above, with the new V1.7 software it should also pre-heat the battery at the same time.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Timers can work to precondition the cabin (interior) of the vehicle, or you can manually use the VOC app/software to initiate a cabin precondition. In either case, no matter how you start it, the car will always favor “wall power” where feasible. However, if the power supplied at the wall is shy of the power needed by the car, it will also use the big battery pack. In other words, preheating the car plugged into a lower power source might also use some battery power to achieve the preconditioning goal.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Timers can work to precondition the cabin (interior) of the vehicle, or you can manually use the VOC app/software to initiate a cabin precondition. In either case, no matter how you start it, the car will always favor “wall power” where feasible. However, if the power supplied at the wall is shy of the power needed by the car, it will also use the big battery pack. In other words, preheating the car plugged into a lower power source might also use some battery power to achieve the preconditioning goal.
Preconditioning can use more power than the crapiest wall mount?

So this means either a) preconditioning uses way more power than I thought or b) wall mounts can be way crappier than I thought :)

I am hoping (b) as preconditioning for me always occurs when it is not plugged in :(

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
86 Posts
Not an expert by any means, but I would think pre-conditioning might use battery power if you are on a 110V outlet (vice a 240) or the car is in a colder temperature (or both). I saw a video from a Tesla owner who lived in the US northeast (Vermont?) and parked his car outside and only had a 110V outlet to plug into who would lose range overnight in the winter when the car was plugged in.

·
Registered
158 Posts

So this means either a) preconditioning uses way more power than I thought or b) wall mounts can be way crappier than I thought :)

I am hoping (b) as preconditioning for me always occurs when it is not plugged in :(
I played around when using the granny charger the car comes with and yes preconditioning can use more power then the 2.4kw supplied charger feeds in, Will be preconditioning mine on Thurs morning with the 7kw house plug.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I played around when using the granny charger the car comes with and yes preconditioning can use more power then the 2.4kw supplied charger feeds in, Will be preconditioning mine on Thurs morning with the 7kw house plug.
I was just thinking how we have a large super-efficient reverse cycle (AKA heat pump) heat/AC unit in our house...it can heat or cool the large open-plan living area easily in about 5 minutes, and it never draws more than about 2 kW....so I though how can this tiny car use more than the 2 kW the wall connection is providing? My partner then pointed out the size of the heat pump’s evaporator and condenser plays a big part in the efficiency, so I guess with the car’s much smaller units, it might take more energy (or time, or both) to condition a very small space. Interesting!

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Onyx, 01/21, v1.8
61 Posts

I have a power meter on my EV circuit (60 amp hardwired ChargePoint), and I have seen power usage during preconditioning spike up to 7.5 kW.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I have a power meter on my EV circuit (60 amp hardwired ChargePoint), and I have seen power usage during preconditioning spike up to 7.5 kW.
For all those who have shown it is (a) Thankyou. Always good to learn stuff :)

I wonder how much power post charging cooling uses?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Interesting - I wonder how much of that 7.5 kW is going towards pre-conditioning vs. battery charging? I guess basically all for pre-condition if the battery has already reached the charge limit. Our charging at home is just a 10A 230V standard socket, so max is about 2.2 kW through the charge cable. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Interesting - I wonder how much of that 7.5 kW is going towards pre-conditioning vs. battery charging? I guess basically all for pre-condition if the battery has already reached the charge limit. Our charging at home is just a 10A 230V standard socket, so max is about 2.2 kW through the charge cable. :)
I got a 32 amp plug fitted so i could use a portable charger cable that will give me 7kw at home and charge at the 11kw max of the car elsewhere where I can plug it in. Thought this was a better option then just a wall charger.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I got a 32 amp plug fitted so i could use a portable charger cable that will give me 7kw at home and charge at the 11kw max of the car elsewhere where I can plug it in. Thought this was a better option then just a wall charger.
We don't drive long distances every day so the slow change on 10 amp power point works fine for our needs. It would be nice to be able to schedule charge times so we only use the EV rate from midnight to 4 AM, but we usually just plug in before bed as we have off peak from 9 pm to 3 pm the following day, with EV rate in the middle.

·
Registered
158 Posts
We don't drive long distances every day so the slow change on 10 amp power point works fine for our needs. It would be nice to be able to schedule charge times so we only use the EV rate from midnight to 4 AM, but we usually just plug in before bed as we have off peak from 9 pm to 3 pm the following day, with EV rate in the middle.
I chose to go with the faster charger in case i need to go to perth 2 days in a row, from 9pm to 7am is my off peak 15c/kwh and could fill the car up totally in that time

·
Registered
462 Posts

Per link above, v1.7 does not automatically pre-condition the battery. However, if you use the "Timers" feature then it should try to precondition the cabin & battery (or so it sounds like) using those timers.

• Smarter pre-conditioning timers: The battery will be pre-conditioned prior to departure in order to increase range.

That quote is taken from the above link. This indicates that using the climate timers will also impact battery. As for the power draw, how many kW the climate uses will likely directly depend on ambient outside temps, interior cabin temps, and so forth. Using a Level 1 110v charger you may find that the kW supplied from the wall falls short of the car's needs, and it will then use both the wall power AND the big battery. However, on most Level 2 220v chargers, you should not be drawing more power than the wall can supply (though even that can be the case in very low amperage situations).

Hopefully this helps clarify -- the bottom line is that, especially under v1.7 -- preconditioning is always beneficial. One might surmise that manually preconditioning the car, even w/o the timer, might still warm the pack too, which is how it works in many other EVs owned (by me) - and that benefits your driving experience. If you park in a garage where perhaps the temps are still 40-60F then it may be less useful to precondition versus outdoors, but it still can have benefits at those temps.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
249 Posts
The other day it was 11c (52f)and my car was in garage plugged in for 2 days @90% , I set timer that I was leaving in 15 mins. I got to my car which was toasty warm and SOC had increased to 92%, which leads me to believe that the car and app are working nicely.
Normally when I first drive away from home I notice my initial average Kwh/100km is high in the 50 -70kw before it comes down into the 20's, but after preconditioning this time it was only 27 -30kw/100km which is my normal so preconditioning really does make a difference.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
The other day it was 11c (52f)and my car was in garage plugged in for 2 days @90kw , I set timer that I was leaving in 15 mins. I got to my car which was toasty warm and SOC had increased to 92kw, which leads me to believe that the car and app are working nicely.
Normally when I first drive away from home I notice my initial average Kwh/100km is high in the 50 -70kw before it comes down into the 20's, but after preconditioning this time it was only 27 -30kw/100km which is my normal so preconditioning really does make a difference.
It might be me but I think some of your kw’s aren’t meant to be percentages?
When you wrote plugged in at 90kw did you mean plugged in and charge max set to 90% or am I missing the point as i am sleepy and it is bed time :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
The other day it was 11c (52f)and my car was in garage plugged in for 2 days @90kw , I set timer that I was leaving in 15 mins. I got to my car which was toasty warm and SOC had increased to 92kw, which leads me to believe that the car and app are working nicely.
ahhh thanks that explains why I see that stupid high consumption when i first take off. For us oldies I guess it is like driving with the choke on till it warms up!!
Leaving for a long trip on Thurs morning where it is forecast to be cold so will be trying this out :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts