Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have an electrician coming to install a Nema 14-50 outlet to try out the new dual voltage charger before buying a wallbox. Right now I'm just slow charging off the 12-volt dongle that's included. Will our Volve EVSE charge at 40 amps, assuming you have the supporting hardware to make it happen? And if so, is anything else special required? Thought I'd give this a shot before splurging for a dedicated or hardwired wallbox. Cheers, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all, I have an electrician coming to install a Nema 14-50 outlet to try out the new dual voltage charger before buying a wallbox. Right now I'm just slow charging off the 12-volt dongle that's included. Will our Volve EVSE charge at 40 amps, assuming you have the supporting hardware to make it happen? And if so, is anything else special required? Thought I'd give this a shot before splurging for a dedicated or hardwired wallbox. Cheers, thanks in advance!
I am getting between 38-45a with level 2 charging in my garage with the charger it comes with. I think it was charging between 25-30 miles/hour

·
Registered
42 Posts
100% get a Wallbox (plug not hardwire). Worth it for the management features alone, especially if you have TOU rating (and probably everyone will have that at some point ). Let Wallbox determine when you charge, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks, Snoopy! I imagine it will only be a matter of time until I grab a box just to have for the future and also as a added layer to the charging equation, just thrilled that Volvo includes the dual voltage unit with the vehicle, that's a nice touch for sure

1 - 5 of 5 Posts