Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Who has the car Software update and who is still waiting for it to magically download?

• Updated to latest June software, on my own

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Updated to June software, via dealership visit

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • Still waiting

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • Updated to August software, on my own

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Updated to August software, via dealership visit

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Trying to sort out 1) how widespread the software update is and 2) if it's just easier to take the dang thing to the dealership to get it done.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know I'm the first group thru OTA~
Just wonder why I could be able to be the first group.
Maybe I allow to share lot's of log file to Volvo thru the Volvo cars app. So after the update, they can analysis more data from my car.
Just my guess~

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just got mine yesterday. I wouldn't say that it's life-changing so probably not worth a trip to the dealership.
Agree with ShellyATX.
Unless it's related with safety or you experienced huge issue (and the update include to fix that bug), just wait until you get the OTA.
It's Super easy to install like your phone update.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I just got mine yesterday. I wouldn't say that it's life-changing so probably not worth a trip to the dealership.
Agreed, I was hoping they would have fixed the software to better repair with VOC when the car does not have all the keys or attempts were made with the old software without needing a car reset, but no luck. Other than the loss car centric mode I am not sure it did much of anything I have seen. Music restarts randomly since the update, but that is traded with often when it does not (most of the time) I need to hit the play button on the knob twice.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have not received the new update and I'm kinda happy about that. Beside the same missing features that we all have, my P8 seems to be functioning correctly. I wonder how many owners that installed (or had the dealer install) the update and experienced issues that previously didn't exist with their P8?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have not received the new update and I'm kinda happy about that. Beside the same missing features that we all have, my P8 seems to be functioning correctly. I wonder how many owners that installed (or had the dealer install) the update and experienced issues that previously didn't exist with their P8?
Installed by dealer last Wednesday - picked up car on Thursday - put VC on my phone and my wife's - added a profile for her - tied Key 1 to my profile and Key 2 to her profile - everything works flawlessly!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I received an email from Volvo on July 1st that I was "amongst the first group of customers to receive a complimentary software upgrade", coming on July 6th. I was rafting in Idaho until the 12th, but my wife had driven it enough to get the software downloaded. When I returned, the car was pestering me every time I got into it and with a persistent notification, to install the upgrade. I even got an email from Volvo asking why I hadn't installed the software. I relented on the 14th. Since then I have had numerous connectivity drop outs (solved each time by rebooting the IHU), and been angered by the removal of the Steering Assist control from the steering wheel. Nothing else has stood out as different.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I have not received the update but am thinking to schedule it with the dealership. I recently had to factory reset the car to resolve an issue with the VOC app (how dumb and annoying). After the factory reset, the steering wheel display still has 3 views but 1 is new/different/obviously a glitch (no car grid but same set of nav directions at top; lost the map view behind the steering wheel). So I'm debating a dealer software update, as a way to resolve this glitch? Blahhhh. I adore this car so much, the software and app issues are such a shame.

·
Registered
428 Posts
How does one determine the current software version in the Recharge?
Unfortunately Volvo doesn't have an actual version number system for our P8s - at least not one that's human-decipherable. (Sister vehicle Polestar2 actually does have this - eg, their current software update is version 2128, the next will be 2129, etc. ).

Best you can do is check Settings (gear icon) -> System -> About. You will see build information for a bunch of individual software components. Look for Kernel version (eg, the core Android Automotive OS version). Most of our US cars shipped with a kernel dated March 18 2021 (that's what I have - see photo below). This is commonly referred to here as the "April update".

The most recent update (which only a few have gotten via OTA update, most via dealer service visit) - has a kernel dated (I think) April 27, 2021. This is commonly referred to as the "June update" (confusing? Yep.)

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
143 Posts
Unfortunately Volvo doesn't have an actual version number system for our P8s - at least not one that's human-decipherable. (Sister vehicle Polestar2 actually does have this - eg, their current software update is version 2128, the next will be 2129, etc. ).

Best you can do is check Settings (gear icon) -> System -> About. You will see build information for a bunch of individual software components. Look for Kernel version (eg, the core Android Automotive OS version). Most of our US cars shipped with a kernel dated March 18 2021 (that's what I have - see photo below). This is commonly referred to here as the "April update".

The most recent update (which only a few have gotten via OTA update, most via dealer service visit) - has a kernel dated (I think) April 27, 2021. This is commonly referred to as the "June update" (confusing? Yep.)

View attachment 1130
My build number is the same as yours but my Kernel version just above Build number is Apr 27 which matches the build number and this is often referred to as June Update when the driver screen now only has 2 screens and the pilot assist was moved to IHU versus the left steering wheel pad.
And I have not had OTA update and picked up my car beginning of June and manufacturing date was in Feb.
But I did have it into dealer because of key issues and it might have gotten updated at that time in late June I believe.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
It feels like there was one and only one group of ota updates … then they stopped …

If anyone knows differently (got an ota after first group) please let us know.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It feels like there was one and only one group of ota updates … then they stopped …
I got the impression that was just an initial test group that got the OTA updates.

So why hasn't anyone else gotten them yet? Easy - the entire country of Sweden is on summer holiday from June 15 thru August 15, including most Volvo employees.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I got the impression that was just an initial test group that got the OTA updates.

So why hasn't anyone else gotten them yet? Easy - the entire country of Sweden is on summer holiday from June 15 thru August 15, including most Volvo employees.
Good point I forgot Europe’s sane work ethics which I should remember as I came from England.
Good for them. I can happily wait for them to come back from vacation :)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Just picked up my replacement P8 this week and here's my software info. View attachment 1136
Woah there was a july 27th kernel!
**** I am now two behind being on the March one and did not get the June one!

anyone have a list of what’s on the july 27rh kernel?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts