Volvo XC40 Forum banner

How often do you experience colored/black/white screens and/or reboots?

• Multiple times per day

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • About 1x per day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Couple times per week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Couple times per month

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Rarely happens

Votes: 23 76.7%
  • It's complicated (explain in thread)

Votes: 1 3.3%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has been polled before, didn't see it in a search. I was under the impression that the June/July updates would have reduced/eliminated the number of reboots. I'm seeing them a few times a day. I thought for sure this can't be a hardware issue, just some poorly written software. But this must be some really bad software if it can't even make it a couple hours between crashes.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Apologies if this has been polled before, didn't see it in a search. I was under the impression that the June/July updates would have reduced/eliminated the number of reboots. I'm seeing them a few times a day. I thought for sure this can't be a hardware issue, just some poorly written software. But this must be some really bad software if it can't even make it a couple hours between crashes.
Does not need to be really bad software. There are many pieces of software that makes up our entertainment system. Could be one piece has bad software or hardware.

When a system reboots itself it could be the result of needing to be re booted or just the way error exceptions for a specific part are being handled albeit badly.

If your getting multi reboots a day I would take it in to Volvo ASAP.

Other than that try and remeber and record what you did in the previous 15 to 60 mins before. I used to specialize in debugging. Partly because I can for free remember any similarities in what I did for an hour or two before crashes. Remembering that you did x try and z helps.

The information on what you did for one crash is relatively useless but if there is a pattern between crashes this could shed light on what is going on.

Good luck

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
121 Posts
If your screen are changing color while rebooting and/or HVAC fan shutting down, and its happening several times a day you will probably need a new IHW. Mine did. It was only 5 days that we had the car.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
219 Posts
For reference, my IHU hasn't ever rebooted on its own. (I couldn't answer the poll truthfully - the closest choice was "It's complicated", but that isn't true either)

Like @BikerBill, there have been others who have experienced frequent rebooting and after Volvo replaced the IHU, the problem disappeared. Therefore, I suspect there are more faulty IHU's out there. Good luck because there may be a wait trying to get a replacement due to limited availability.

·
Registered
2021 Sage Green XC Recharge & 2021 Metallic Silver XC Recharge
19 Posts
In the three weeks I’ve owned the car, none, but today a phone call came in and the contact “froze” on the IHU so I’m thinking my first is at hand…

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
First month none, then a few times within a week, brought car in and had IHU replaced. In the 12 days since I have it back so far everything is fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the responses. It's very encouraging to hear that most people don't have problems. I didn't provide a "never" option because I was under the assumption this was a universal truth for these cars. Hopefully the dealer can resolve it. At least the car drives really nicely!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts