Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Do you like the black rims?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
As much as I've tried to learn to appreciate them over the years, I just never found all-black wheels to look good. Too reminiscent of someone who just discovered Plastidip at their local AutoZone.

Same is true of the current trend Volvo offers to black out their logo on the front grill. There's something about it that just looks.... amateurish, or something?

But, in defense of the Photoshopped idea presented above, I will admit that the blacked-out wheels, coupled with the black tires and dark plastic cladding, do give the car's form a color massing that counterbalances the black roof and tinted windows.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I like your balanced opinion. I'll count you as a "maybe"! Although I get the feeling that the style just isn't for you.
I don’t know that I’ll be in the market for it anytime soon, but I can say I like it better on this car than any of the other Volvos and most other cars. The XC40 can pull off a sort of neo-noir sci-fi aesthetic, like something out of Blade Runner, that I think looks silly on their other models. It’s got that combo of futurism and blockiness that lends itself to this. The dark cladding along the bottom gains a kind of continuity with those dark wheels (almost like a modular sled platform that the rest of the car is inserted on top of).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts