Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
My opinion is if you need more power to do something “safely” than what the XC40 has, then you probably shouldn’t be doing said activity.

However, do I want this power upgrade to become available for the XC40…..absolutely. Not for “safety”, but purely because it would be fun and you can never have too much power. 👍🏻

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
228 Posts
Hard to imagine a safety situation in which more would be better
My opinion is if you need more power to do something “safely” than what the XC40 has, then you probably shouldn’t be doing said activity.
Totally agree with upholding safety. I think the 'need' (or desire) for more power can also be thought of having more reassurance. An extra buffer. Basically, my threshold for deciding to overtake isn't much different than what I would do if I were in sluggish ICE vehicle. The benefit is that anxiety is much lower.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
The only danger is that with more power and the time to torque being pretty much zero it is possible to make a car loose control. The more power the easier it is to do. I would love to see a little change here so there is a ramp of power if you deck it. Not a big ramp but some would enhance safety.

Once I was passed by a sports car once on a straight bridge, dry conditions. They decked there accelerator when they were 60 meters ahead and traveling in a straight line. They promptly lost control of their car and put it into a spin.

Luckily they did a 360 and braked to a halt.

Can you have too much power?
Yes in terms of more power than you are trained to handle and
Yes if it is more than the car is designed to handle.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
228 Posts
The car has traction control turned on. You are already covered. Is it perfect? No, but everything I've seen and tried, it is safe especially in a straight line. On a curve, it is still pretty good, but it is easier for driver error to occur by overreacting to what the car does.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
The car has traction control turned on. You are already covered. Is it perfect? No, but everything I've seen and tried, it is safe especially in a straight line. On a curve, it is still pretty good, but it is easier for driver error to occur by overreacting to what the car does.
Sorry was responding to someone above saying you can never have too much power.

The car does indeed do great. The only weakness is if you are stupid and abuse the time to torque. As long as you are sane with the rate at which you depress the pedal it does great.

Honestly even if you just deck it most of the time it responds perfectly.

I like taking a car I do not know to a safe place and to test its limits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Went to Puente Hills Volvo dealer yesterday and they are running a special on Polestar Engineered Optimization Software which expires on December 31, 2021 for anyone who is interested. See pics. +67 hp and 15 ft-lb torque for $1K may be worth it?? For ICE, to gain 67 hp may take both intake and exhaust mods which is more than $1K, usually.

Font Line Material property Technology Rectangle

Font Gauge Commemorative plaque Gas Circle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Went to Puente Hills Volvo dealer yesterday and they are running a special on Polestar Engineered Optimization Software which expires on December 31, 2021 for anyone who is interested. See pics. +67 hp and 15 ft-lb torque for $1K may be worth it?? For ICE, to gain 67 hp may take both intake and exhaust mods which is more than $1K, usually.

View attachment 1862
View attachment 1863
They said this was available for your fully electric xc40? I see info for various polestar engineered updates available for other model volvos but I don't see anything for the recharge. I'm going to call my dealership on Monday and see if this is available.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Based on the graphics (tachometer, gas level), they have to be talking about the plug in hybrid and not the all electric. I had a S60 PHEV as a loaner while my infotainment system was being replaced and that is exactly what the gauge looked like.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts