Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
201 Posts

I wonder if this will be offered to Volvo like the polestar upgrades in the ICE cars were.
I mentioned that before in some of the other topics that XC40 has a lot of potential and we are going to see some boost in power ahead in the future. Polestar is getting it. Good.

·
Registered
298 Posts
As a Polestar owner I’ve been following the threads on their forums on this for a few days. It is said to probably not be coming to the USA till “mid 2022” based on regulations. Volvo is far more conservative than Tesla as it pertains to rolling out features like this, so it will take time. I suspect it will NOT come to the Volvo lineup, as that really isn’t their MO and doesnt seem necessary (the XC40 is already by far the fastest XC40 variant, and the buyer likely would not spend that kind of money; most CUV/SUV owners aren’t as performance oriented as the Polestar brand/image aligns with comparatively speaking).

And yes, as soon as it hits US shores, I’ll be clicking the check box and downloading the upgrade LOL

·
Registered
148 Posts
As a Polestar owner I’ve been following the threads on their forums on this for a few days. It is said to probably not be coming to the USA till “mid 2022” based on regulations. Volvo is far more conservative than Tesla as it pertains to rolling out features like this, so it will take time. I suspect it will NOT come to the Volvo lineup, as that really isn’t their MO and doesnt seem necessary (the XC40 is already by far the fastest XC40 variant, and the buyer likely would not spend that kind of money; most CUV/SUV owners aren’t as performance oriented as the Polestar brand/image aligns with comparatively speaking).

And yes, as soon as it hits US shores, I’ll be clicking the check box and downloading the upgrade LOL
What’s another $1000-1500 for more go fast ability? My wife can then get to Starbucks quicker!! 😂

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

im hoping that they will continue the ability to 'upgrade' volvos with polestar engineering - in this case with an OTA update. ill for sure buy it! more swooshing? yes please.

·
Registered
298 Posts
im hoping that they will continue the ability to 'upgrade' volvos with polestar engineering - in this case with an OTA update. ill for sure buy it! more swooshing? yes please.
For years now Volvo has offered Polestar engineered upgrades for vehicles. So this would be nothing new, and it is quite possible this would roll out. I just have to wonder if the XC40 (read: SUV) market would really care enough? Of course that is the beauty here-- the same underpinnings of the CMA-platform Polestar are what lies under the XC40, so it would presumably be easy to port over a version for the Volvo. In which case, an extra ~$1k USD per owner even if only a few may very much make sense. Our XC40 is leased, so I'd prob not spend the $$ ... but I do hope they offer it, for those who would want it.

Oh and ... @Rousie13 ... haha yes that would make those coffee runs a bit more fun ;) ... though it was interesting to see that the official UK announcement talks about 44-60 MPH increased power, and the ~15% HP increase only has a small torque increase. However, I suspect the Polestar will drop to a 3.9 sec 0-60 overall, in the right conditions, seeing as they already under-rate the car's ability. More power is always more fun ;)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Is anyone seriously feeling a lack of power in their P8?

That said I hope we get it for the xc40 so I can get it :)

Thinking further we will need improved tires/traction to soak up the extra power, especially from the lights.

Even now any degradation in traction will make the wheels loose traction at maximum power so more power will just exacerbate this will it not?

Reactions: Gaffaa

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
219 Posts
Thinking further we will need improved tires/traction to soak up the extra power, especially from the lights.
Even now any degradation in traction will make the wheels loose traction at maximum power so more power will just exacerbate this will it not?
I think you're missing the point of this particular power boost upgrade. The benefit is not really at the gate, but further along the speed curve.
My 'use case' scenario for wanting the boost is when I'm driving on a country road and I need to overtake the car in front of me before oncoming traffic arrives. I had a case in the past with my ICE vehicle where the other driver sped up to prevent me from passing. I don't want the power available to me to be a hinderance.

FYI: A person in the Polestar thread has already installed the update. I hope it eventually becomes available to the XC40 P8, although I won't hold my breath.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think you're missing the point of this particular power boost upgrade. The benefit is not really at the gate, but further along the speed curve.
My 'use case' scenario for wanting the boost is when I'm driving on a country road and I need to overtake the car in front of me before oncoming traffic arrives. I had a case in the past with my ICE vehicle where the other driver sped up to prevent me from passing. I don't want the power available to me to be a hinderance.

FYI: A person in the Polestar thread has already installed the update. I hope it eventually becomes available to the XC40 P8, although I won't hold my breath.
never felt short of power!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Bingo!
That is why our cars have potential for more hp. If we want to tap in we have to pay. Perhaps it will come to XC40 in the future. It makes sense.
It should not be free--- this is not a "software update" -- this is a power increase that came with R&D etc--

If you want to read my two cents go here:

TL;DR
  • Tesla offers a $2,000 Acceleration Boost for the LR AWD Model 3 that you can NOT add to your sale price; you can only download/purchase it AFTER the vehicle is built and yours, and its TWICE what Polestar charges
  • Polestar has been offering software/tuning upgrades for years, for similar pricing, and similar power gains

Again people can argue all they want about it being free, but the fact of the matter is that XC40 and Polestar owners bought the car based on the specs (and frankly both the XC40 and the Polestar 2 actually are under. rated and perform better than their published acceleration numbers suggest). Expecting "free" upgrades for power is unfair to the mfg-- you don't go back to Honda with an AP1 S2000 and complain that the AP2 S2000 changes should be a free upgrade to your motor, do you? Same argument-- new R&D was done after to improve the product.

Software updates that enhance features (ex: range assistant) makes sense, and will add to the UX, and make customers happy. Unlocking promised features (SXM, eventually ACP) are obviously part of what you signed up for. But nobody bought na XC40 or Polestar 2 and was "promised" it'd be faster some day. So, if you want that, you should pay for it. Seems completely reasonable to me.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts

Nope was not missing the point. I did read about the later in the curve I was just pointing out the traction loss out of the gate.

Does the polestar have the same 112 speed wall we have because there is no noticeable lack of acceleration anywhere near 112.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Does the polestar have the same 112 speed wall we have because there is no noticeable lack of acceleration anywhere near 112.
Volvo limits their cars for safety. It is not the limit of the tires, or the aero of the car, simply Volvo’s thinking as it pertains to “no need to go that fast”—-

There was a YouTube review a year or two ago where they tested the Polestar 2 and it got about 5-10 MPH higher; forget the actual number. I think on paper there is no listed “top speed” for the Polestar, or if there was it was listed same as XC40 - but in reality it can do slightly more. Again, computer limited By the mfg.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
219 Posts
there is no noticeable lack of acceleration anywhere near 112
I agree for the most part. The car has more punch than many vehicles in its class. But under scrutiny, I'm able to notice some loss after 40mph or so. Try accelerating from zero. Then coast at 40mph and floor it again. The sensation of G's seems a little less. Look up Bjorn's dragy results on his videos. Sure enough, the acceleration falls off a bit after 70km/h:

XC40 (@6°C):
Rectangle Azure Slope Font Plot

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
201 Posts
I agree for the most part. The car has more punch than many vehicles in its class. But under scrutiny, I'm able to notice some loss after 40mph or so. Try accelerating from zero. Then coast at 40mph and floor it again. The sensation of G's seems a little less. Look up Bjorn's dragy results on his videos. Sure enough, the acceleration falls off a bit after 70km/h:

XC40 (@6°C):
View attachment 1821
Model 3 performance diagram:
Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

For reference. There are similarities. Just needs more G`s :LOL:
The beginning of the curves is where the mass of the vehicles plays it`s role.
Both cars should not be compared but I was thinking that would be interesting anyway.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Agreed it is a little less but I go to pass a truck at 40 and by the time I am passed I am doing 105 … does not feel lacking in power.

Would more mean I hit the speed cap in that time?

Some cars do not have enough power to safely overtake. This has plenty but compared to what I suppose.

Hard to imagine a safety situation in which more would be better :)

Reactions: arijaycomet
1 - 20 of 27 Posts