Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Getting there! Top one (kWh/100 mi) seems right. Bottom one (kWh/100 km) the values should be only 0.62x the kWh/100 mi numbers...since a km is less than a mile, the usage to go 100 km will be less than the usage to go 100 mi...need to divide kWh/100 mi by 1.6 to get kWh/100 km. I'll give you a C for effort! ;)
I got it, just had so many iterations of the graph on the desktop and grabbed the wrong one! It's matching up with yours.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,019 Posts
I got it, just had so many iterations of the graph on the desktop and grabbed the wrong one! It's matching up with yours.
Yay! Gold stars all around! I guess with yours since the drive/trip was the same each day, then temperature is the main factor that changes, so that makes sense as to why you have pretty good correlation with higher temp being more efficient. We only note the temperature on the screen at the end of the drive when we take the pic, so that could be a bit misleading as well (sometimes it starts off really cold in the AM, then by the time we get home it's warmer, so our temp reading may not be too accurate). All very interesting though! I kinda hope we have a warmer summer this year so we can see what it does for efficiency.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Volvo released an api for accessing certain car functions. I need to have a look but maybe that will allow access to data from the car that we can use such as temp, bat temp, average speeds and power consumption and charging info. When I get my car (supposedly sep\oct) I have a good look to see if I can write an app for our phones that automatically collects this data and provides us with the metrics that we can all compare.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Volvo released an api for accessing certain car functions. I need to have a look but maybe that will allow access to data from the car that we can use such as temp, bat temp, average speeds and power consumption and charging info. When I get my car (supposedly sep\oct) I have a good look to see if I can write an app for our phones that automatically collects this data and provides us with the metrics that we can all compare.
That would be awesome! The Sensus cars (pre-AAOS) had a lot more data available. My dad has an XC60 T8 plug-in hybrid and can get nice graphs of average fuel economy/efficiency etc)...sure hope all this data we've been generating in our cars over the past year(s) is stored somewhere and may be able to access one day!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’m following this with interest but don’t have any data to contribute. Based on recent experience could I suggest possible additional explanatory variables.

Wet roads seem to have a big impact so either a dummy variable to represent a rainy day or rainfall data might be helpful.

Yesterday we did a short run from home (approx 20 metres elevation) to a restaurant (approx 500 metres elevation). The 60 km round trip used 16% - 11% up and 5% down. By the time we got to the bottom of the range we had more charge than we had at the top. So I’m thinking another possible variable could be maximum elevation gain or average gradient.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I’m following this with interest but don’t have any data to contribute. Based on recent experience could I suggest possible additional explanatory variables.

Wet roads seem to have a big impact so either a dummy variable to represent a rainy day or rainfall data might be helpful.

Yesterday we did a short run from home (approx 20 metres elevation) to a restaurant (approx 500 metres elevation). The 60 km round trip used 16% - 11% up and 5% down. By the time we got to the bottom of the range we had more charge than we had at the top. So I’m thinking another possible variable could be maximum elevation gain or average gradient.
Yes, that's a good thing to consider (elevation change in particular). We notice when we drive down to Melb from home (~650M down to sea level) we get much better efficiency than coming home. I guess that's obvious! But our average efficiency for going down and back is about the same as our long-term average (~22.5 kWh/100 km). I think one of the most important things to record (or when discussing range) is the car's efficiency in kWh/100 km (or miles if you're in a non-metric country) as that is a much easier number to compare than things like "I drove 100 km and my range went from 72% to xx%", or "my range is 350 km, what's yours?" The former requires a secondary calculation, and the latter is basically meaningless unless more detail is forthcoming.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts