Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By chance, has anyone done any plasti dip on the Emblems ?
If so, would you mind sharing some pics ?

Some have shared of ceramic cover on the front grill -- nice touch !

Was thinking of removing the "XC40" and "Recharge" emblems as well.....hhhHmmm.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Exact same ideas here. I have Glacier Silver, and I have a can of plastidip in the basement, so maybe I can give it a try. In general, I should be able to quickly remove if it looks bad. Removing the minor badges (We don't need no stinking badges) is not as easily returned to stock.

Perhaps a replacement badge, such as the word "RECHARGE" in a Volvo-ish font.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Totally agree ! While I value simplicity and not go too crazy with space age designs for EVs, except for the front grille.... i wish there was a tad more differential.....

The Range Rovers have pretty nice black-out on emblems against White/Silver.....looks pretty darn good !

I was even thinking of being totally unconventional by plastic dip it with WHITE !!!! It would look like its "EMBOSSED"........

If you decide on the plasti dip, please do share pics !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did my Cayenne. It turned out great and lasted 3 years (until I traded it in on the XC40). It's very easy to do: just mask off the area, spray it on, let it dry, and peel it off.

Before:
Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Electric blue

After:
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yesterday I pulled the trigger and JUST DID IT......and the outcome.....
Messed up 3 letters on the side.....if look REALLY close enough can see the uneven coverage.....

Automotive tail & brake light Grille Window Hood Automotive lighting

Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

Automotive lighting Window Bumper Communication Device Automotive design

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update! Following up on previous post of me "messing up 3 letters" -- it had been bothering me ever since.....and truly when up close, it's just unsettling.....so with the footstep of another individual here who had (i) replaced all the emblems (ii) replaced all the emblems in black for a black-out look, I decided to do the same......ohhHHH how HAPPY I am with the results.....

I had completely removed the "XC40" all together, and replaced the "VOLVO" with the proper black ones which were purchased through Ali Express (took a good 2 months to arrive from CHINA)....for $10.
The removal process was such a breeze it's not even funny...... between REMOVAL and ATTACHMENT of the new ones, it took me like 45 mins.....

And the results....... LOVE IT !

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Water Sky Rectangle Mode of transport Font
Vehicle Automotive tire Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design Bumper
Window Table Bumper Rectangle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
58 Posts
Update! Following up on previous post of me "messing up 3 letters" -- it had been bothering me ever since.....and truly when up close, it's just unsettling.....so with the footstep of another individual here who had (i) replaced all the emblems (ii) replaced all the emblems in black for a black-out look, I decided to do the same......ohhHHH how HAPPY I am with the results.....

I had completely removed the "XC40" all together, and replaced the "VOLVO" with the proper black ones which were purchased through Ali Express (took a good 2 months to arrive from CHINA)....for $10.
The removal process was such a breeze it's not even funny...... between REMOVAL and ATTACHMENT of the new ones, it took me like 45 mins.....

And the results....... LOVE IT !
Looks fantastic. I'm now tempted to plastidip mine. Are you saying you decided to replace the letters altogether? What is the process? I think I would prefer to just spray mine..

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks fantastic. I'm now tempted to plastidip mine. Are you saying you decided to replace the letters altogether? What is the process? I think I would prefer to just spray mine..
Initially, if you scroll up to previous posts on this thread, I did the plastidip - perhaps it was a different brand of spray - followed instructions, process took half a day -- mostly due to ensuring proper coverage of the car - the spray DOES travel a lot further than you think, and you wouldnt want to get them on the car even though removal, it's a pain. Through the process, 3 of the letter had "jagged" coverage on the ages, only noticeable if you look close -- From far, it looks great - I had it in gunmetal. BUT, because the 3-letters had bothered me (psychologically) AND I wanted to remove the "XC40" badge (...just because...).... At the same time of the plasti-dip process, I had also place an order for the actual black emblem through Ali Express as a back-up in case I mess up the Plasti-dip. Fast forward, almost 3 months later after the plastidip, the emblem finally arrived. That was when i decided to replace them.

The Process
1) Hair-dresser is great enough - like drying your hair, move it across the letters some and literally within a minute you should be able to "wiggle" the letter just by gently tugging it with your finger. If it doesn't move, more dryer time few more seconds. Once it wiggles, it's ready....
2) Use regular floss (double up the strand) to slide it through the letter -- just like flossing, let it do it's job - don't try to pry the letter (even though you can) because the edges might damage the paint job. So rely on the floss and the letter just slides right of
3) Use your finger to rub off the residue
4) Apply the rubbing "compound" - wax-like texture (by Turtle Wax, Mequiers) - and polish the spot well -- DONE

For Emblem Attachment
1) BEFORE any hair dryer usage, place painter's tape right underneath each letter to help guide the placement of the new one. I'd also use a marker to lightly mark the "middle" position
2) Now perform Step #1-4. After removal of the letter, what's left is the painter's tape (and the marker point) - Now place the NEW letter by sitting it above the painter's tape.
TIP: This time when polishing the spot, I purposefully leave a super small silhouette that's left by the original emblem. Together with the tape, I could easily now place the new one on the exact same spot (of course with the tape and marker for precision as well)

The whole process took me less than 45 mins !

Next Project: This will be professionally done - powder coating the rims to metal gun shade (matte) - it will be properly done with proper "baking" process etc. Est. $180/rim...I've seen estimation as low as $90 BUT I want to go with super reputable shop. Soo.....this is NOT a need by all means.....just a "want" :)

If anyone has had those rims powder coated, do share your experience !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts