Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 Ultimate
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have issues with Pilot Assist always being on, even if you disable it in the menu? Been fighting the car for 2 months, since we purchased it, trying to figure out how to turn off this lane-keeping function.

The main road we drive on is not great for markings, and the car sometimes grabs the wheel when you least expect it to.

Have double and triple-checked the settings, all driving assist functions except for road-signs are turned off, even rebooted the IHU, and it STILL grabs the wheel.....recently went over some black ice when it grabbed the wheel and it scared the crap out of me, the car swung from one side to the other before it stabilized......

Is it just me or have others experienced this?

· Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge | Bursting Blue
157 Posts
Lane Keep Assist and Pilot Assist are 2 different things. My wife was having a similar issue. She had turned off Adaptive Cruise Control w/ Steering (Pilot Assist) but had left on Lane Keeping Aid and couldn't figure out why the car was "still trying to steer itself"

Hope this was your issue and this solves it. When I drive her car I use Pilot Assist but keep Lane Keep Assist turned off. She keeps both off.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lane Keep Assist and Pilot Assist are 2 different things. My wife was having a similar issue. She had turned off Adaptive Cruise Control w/ Steering (Pilot Assist) but had left on Lane Keeping Aid and couldn't figure out why the car was "still trying to steer itself"

Hope this was your issue and this solves it. When I drive her car I use Pilot Assist but keep Lane Keep Assist turned off. She keeps both off.
I wish this was the issue; I got the terminology mixed up, but all of this is turned off in the vehicle. I'll validate this evening and take a pic to show the settings, but I have every driving assist function turned off except road signs, and still experiencing this.

Thanks for the reply on your experience with it, much appreciated.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish this was the issue; I got the terminology mixed up, but all of this is turned off in the vehicle. I'll validate this evening and take a pic to show the settings, but I have every driving assist function turned off except road signs, and still experiencing this.

Thanks for the reply on your experience with it, much appreciated.
So I forgot to take a picture, but lane keeping is turned off, pilot assist is turned off, EVERYTHING is off except for road signs. Installed 1.8 update last night, haven't driven the car yet (charger issue) but will update after driving to see if the 1.8 update fixes the issue.

· Registered
118 Posts
So I forgot to take a picture, but lane keeping is turned off, pilot assist is turned off, EVERYTHING is off except for road signs. Installed 1.8 update last night, haven't driven the car yet (charger issue) but will update after driving to see if the 1.8 update fixes the issue.
That is bad then, an actual safety hazard. Definitely take it to the dealer if not fixed.

· Registered
White P8 aka ORKA * OTA V2.0 * MFD 1/21 * 20" ride.
989 Posts
Sorry to hear the scare, and hopefully 1.8 fixes the glitches. I remember back in summer, after a week or so driving the car, I was experiencing (i) Pilot Assist -- and decided immediately that it wasn't for me simply due to the overall "trust" factor (ii) Lane Assist -- was travelling 76mph on major highway that had forked 4 lanes to left and 2 lanes to right. I proceed to fork to the right and the car decided to grab on the 4th lane to continue going straight, it was SO strong fighting the steering wheel that at that speed, totally freaked me out. Since then, after owning the car for 2 weeks, I had NEVER used those 2 again.

However, if the Car detects a potential collision (i.e. someone cuts you off and vice versa at close range for comfort), it feels as though the steering moves a little (either left or right) while a sound beep and message pops up on the dashboard. Experienced that twice, and I totally appreciate the "precaution" aspect of it !

· Registered
316 Posts
In our xc90 we can toggle the steering assist on and off on the wheel. I always watch out for situations where it may have difficulty (split lanes, construction, exits...). I can feel in the wheel when it "goes stupid" and needs a little break. There is no way to know if it is guiding on the right or left lane line, and you never know which it will follow, but it is not difficult to over power the steering assist and go where you want to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.