Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
In wide lanes on high speed roads, my XC40 tends to wander left and right, looking, I assume for the edge of the lane. Has Volvo come up with a firmware mod to dampen this search?

At this point, this one of my few remaining gripes about the car. Otherwise, I'm a very happy camper. 馃檪

Registered
Pilot assist sucks. Mine can't even make through a gentle curve. Have to touch the wheel every 15 seconds or whatever it is stupid to.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
The Pilot Assist in my '20 handles surprisingly tight turns on even secondary roads. It's wide lanes that show up the wandering issue. Very exciting to see a drift towards an "eighteen wheeler" at 70+ MPH. I forget how long PA will run before showing "hands on the wheel, dummy", but its waiting time more than enough to change from regular to sunglasses, for example.

One general downside to PA is it's easy to get out of sync with driving, and losing focus on traffic. OTOH, during long haul limited-access roads, it does make the trip easier to endure. While I'm not shy about dropping into manual shifting and Polestar to play in the "twisties", for "making miles" I'm 90% pleased with PA.

BTW, at the dealer, a tech said even little "micro" motion is enough to register for the computers. Sensing "hands on" is not done with a capacitive sensor.

Registered
I find the PA more stressful than driving without it, the trouble is by the time I realize that it's not working you're already headed off the road to a certain degree. Maybe I just need to get used to it but so far I don't like it at all.

Now the adaptive cruise control is the bomb!

Cheers.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
You've touched on something I don't understand about any car with lane holding. There's no ding! when the computer lets go of the steering wheel. OTOH, in XC40 the driver must keep his hands on the wheel. That means keeping in touch with what the car's doing. Zoning out, texting, eating lunch instead of monitoring the car is IMHO a very bad idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts