Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in May of this year we traded in my wife’s 8 month old ‘20 Tesla Model Y (LR AWD) for a ‘21 XC40 P8 Recharge. She has been madly in love with the XC40, and I always enjoy driving it. When we did our 1,000+ round trip journey from Ohio to the Smokey Mountains, I did 99.9% of that driving, and when we go out as a family I drive. So of the 10k+ miles on the car now, more than half of those were with my piloting the Volvo. Needless to say, I’ve loved it too!

Tomorrow I’m picking up the cousin to the XC40 P8, on the same platform — a 2022 Polestar 2. This one is a dual motor AWD fully loaded (Pilot, Plus, Performance packs). It is “Thunder“ gray over charcoal black interior. I’ll share a few photos here in the coming days for anyone interested. NOTE: The Polestar is NOT replacing the Volvo, but will instead be my car, to park along side my wife’s XC40 P8.

But the reason for this thread as follows:

Having been a lurker on the Polestar forums, but an active member here (as an XC40 household), I’ve been well aware of many of the features that the Polestar has gotten first. For example, the PaaK (phone as a key) functions, or the fact that apps like A Better Route Planner can be downloaded on the Polestar (but not yet our XC40). Little tidbits like that should be interesting, as well as the fact that OTA updates were working on the P*2 long before the XC40.

Bottom line: if you have any questions feel free to ask in this thread. I’d be glad to share my thoughts. Since I won’t actually be picking the car up for 26 hours, I’ll refrain from any comparison until I’ve had a chance to drive/enjoy it. But since the nearest Polestar “Space” (store) is 180 miles away, I’ll be getting an instant 3 hour drive home (including 1x DC fast charging stop). So it should be a great way to really throw myself into the thick of it.

We’ve had plenty of BEVs before… looking forward to having a Polestar, and putting it through the paces. Ciao!

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Nice! Look forward to comparisons especially interested in glaring differences and similarities.

I cannot wait to get to move so we can get a second ev.

Good luck with the new car :)

Reactions: arijaycomet

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
236 Posts
Great to have the insights of a Polestar owner here too! Look forward to hearing about it! FWIW Polestar have announced pricing in Australia, but a friend who is interested in one was told he can't test drive in Brisbane until early next year! I told him just order the Volvo LOL! He just wants the single-motor long-range model as he said he sees no reason for the AWD performance...I say OK...I love the performance even if I rarely use it! :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great to have the insights of a Polestar owner here too! Look forward to hearing about it! FWIW Polestar have announced pricing in Australia, but a friend who is interested in one was told he can't test drive in Brisbane until early next year! I told him just order the Volvo LOL! He just wants the single-motor long-range model as he said he sees no reason for the AWD performance...I say OK...I love the performance even if I rarely use it! :)
Totally agree—- here in the US the price difference is $4,000 USD and while that is about 9% of the MSRP of the base price car, so not a “small” hike per se—- the delta in performance, and the safety of traction in inclement weather makes sense. Do you not get snow in your part of the world? I realize a lot of dry climate in Australia though — no sandy roads / rock roads / gravel where AWD would benefit? Perhaps your friend should look at Volvo C40, are those headed your way? They are about to arrive to USA and those look very pretty, especially in the launch Blue color ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will they do delivery to your house or did you have to pick it up in Detroit? I’ve been eyeing the polestar as a possible replacement for my model 3. I’m definitely interested in your thoughts.
Back in the spring time they wanted $500 to transport a car. This went for either direction (if you had a trade-in, then it was $500 each way or $1,000 total to have your trade shipped to the store and the new car shipped to you). Since this is only a 3 hour drive each way, I wasn’t going to bother with the added cost to ship, but I -assume- it was still an option. Though I think they said the price for that had gone up? Plus with friends who have shipped cars over the last 12-18 months it seems like transit is very delayed, so I’d not have wanted to wait. Instant gratification!

Taking the day off work to drive for 6 hours might not sound fun to some people, but for me, it sounds like a lot of fun. Most of the drive is expressway though — but that will give me a chance to see how Pilot Assist works on the Polestar, as compared/contrast to the XC40. And with the car doing some of the driving, i can fiddle with the center display options in tandem :p

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Back in the spring time they wanted $500 to transport a car. This went for either direction (if you had a trade-in, then it was $500 each way or $1,000 total to have your trade shipped to the store and the new car shipped to you). Since this is only a 3 hour drive each way, I wasn’t going to bother with the added cost to ship, but I -assume- it was still an option. Though I think they said the price for that had gone up? Plus with friends who have shipped cars over the last 12-18 months it seems like transit is very delayed, so I’d not have wanted to wait. Instant gratification!

Taking the day off work to drive for 6 hours might not sound fun to some people, but for me, it sounds like a lot of fun. Most of the drive is expressway though — but that will give me a chance to see how Pilot Assist works on the Polestar, as compared/contrast to the XC40. And with the car doing some of the driving, i can fiddle with the center display options in tandem :p
Total fun!! Instill take margo for a drive just to drive her :)

Good luck and enjoy your new swoosh.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
236 Posts
Totally agree—- here in the US the price difference is $4,000 USD and while that is about 9% of the MSRP of the base price car, so not a “small” hike per se—- the delta in performance, and the safety of traction in inclement weather makes sense. Do you not get snow in your part of the world? I realize a lot of dry climate in Australia though — no sandy roads / rock roads / gravel where AWD would benefit? Perhaps your friend should look at Volvo C40, are those headed your way? They are about to arrive to USA and those look very pretty, especially in the launch Blue color ;)
Yeah, interesting on pricing. Here in AUS the XC40EV currently only comes in one spec - totally loaded dual motor - so I assume similar to “Ultimate” spec, although our cars also get leather seats. The Polestar 2 with the same options is about $5000 MORE than the Volvo...but yes, you can get the stripped-down single motor standard range (smaller battery pack) Polestar 2 for AUD$59,900+on-road costs...the XC40EV is AUD$76,990+ORC.

The friend who is interested in the P2 is in Brisbane...weather kinda like Florida I suppose. Here in Victoria we have a lot more varied weather, including a few light dustings of snow, and we’re in a rural area so some unsealed roads. I like the AWD traction. We had a Volvo C30T5 before this car - it was FWD and 6-speed manual and it was easy to break traction in the wet and dry. The XC40EV is bonkers in comparison - foot down and go-go-go!

Edit: C40 pricing and specs have not yet been announced for AUS...will be interesting to see what they bring in and at what price points.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here's my question - a list of interesting apps, please (interesting = not podcast or radio station apps!), that are available on Polestar, but not Volvo, like ABRP that you mentioned. So that we can all watch and wait impatiently!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you get a chance, could you check to see if the wheel lugs are the same type and dimensions?
Both cars are on the same CMA platform. Both cars (Polestar 2 and XC40 P8) are using 5x108 (4.5) wheels. So it would seem to reason that you’d find them using the same lug bolts/nuts hardware. I have DEFINITELY seen people on the Polestar Forums talk about fitting XC40 wheels to their cars, so I’m going to go out on a (rather sturdy) limb here and say that yes, they are highly likely the precisely same hardware.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
222 Posts
Both cars are on the same CMA platform. Both cars (Polestar 2 and XC40 P8) are using 5x108 (4.5) wheels. So it would seem to reason that you’d find them using the same lug bolts/nuts hardware. I have DEFINITELY seen people on the Polestar Forums talk about fitting XC40 wheels to their cars, so I’m going to go out on a (rather sturdy) limb here and say that yes, they are highly likely the precisely same hardware.
Nice. I think the 19" P2 wheels will be my winter set if I go with the XC40.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im hoping there is a big photo dump coming on this thread ;)
ASK and thou shall receive — see above — I’m going to wait until TOMORROW to give you guys my “feedback” as I want to sleep on/digest some of what I saw and experienced. And also I had a long day on the road (delayed by a few things) so going to unwind for now. But my first impressions are “GREAT CAR!” — really happy with it.

In a sentence or two though, a preview:
Imagine your XC40 P8 converted into a sports sedan with German tuned (BMW’esque) handling, a larger screen, some minor changes for both the better, and the worse, but with all the major components you already love about your Volvo. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts