Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has me a little confused. I hate to start a new thread about this. I'm just trying to figure out what's what. I'm wondering if others are noticing this, and or, if this relates to the accelerator pedal corrosion recall? My car is in the recall VIN range and is going in Thursday for an "inspection". It sounds like repairs are only occurring if there is evidence of water intrusion. Similar to the roof antenna recall protocol.

I started with software 1.6 I believe. At that time I noticed the pedal would click a lot at lower speed when "charging"/decelerating. No big deal really, but noticeable. During one of the OTA updates the clicking seemed to lessen or even disappear. As of 2.1 it's back, and clicking a lot. A scenario would be maintaining a modest speed on a slight grade, slight regeneration at 30 mph. You also pick it up as the vehicle is approaching a stop. Is this the machine working as intended, or something else? The fact that it seems to correlate with software seems intended and possibly evolving, but today it was clicking so much It seemed unlikely that they would intend the car to behave that way. It is somewhat subtle and maybe most people don't notice? If you have the radio on and the windows open it is harder to sense it.

I can't recall if in regular drive mode slight brake pedal operation induces any clicks, but I don't think it does. This is a one pedal thing. I think Kyle (out of spec) mentioned it in an XC40 segment, but I'm not sure about that. I can't be the only one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
has me a little confused. I hate to start a new thread about this. I'm just trying to figure out what's what. I'm wondering if others are noticing this, and or, if this relates to the accelerator pedal corrosion recall? My car is in the recall VIN range and is going in Thursday for an "inspection". It sounds like repairs are only occurring if there is evidence of water intrusion. Similar to the roof antenna recall protocol.

I started with software 1.6 I believe. At that time I noticed the pedal would click a lot at lower speed when "charging"/decelerating. No big deal really, but noticeable. During one of the OTA updates the clicking seemed to lessen or even disappear. As of 2.1 it's back, and clicking a lot. A scenario would be maintaining a modest speed on a slight grade, slight regeneration at 30 mph. You also pick it up as the vehicle is approaching a stop. Is this the machine working as intended, or something else? The fact that it seems to correlate with software seems intended and possibly evolving, but today it was clicking so much It seemed unlikely that they would intend the car to behave that way. It is somewhat subtle and maybe most people don't notice? If you have the radio on and the windows open it is harder to sense it.

I can't recall if in regular drive mode slight brake pedal operation induces any clicks, but I don't think it does. This is a one pedal thing. I think Kyle (out of spec) mentioned it in an XC40 segment, but I'm not sure about that. I can't be the only one.
I drive 99% of time using OPD, but I also have the radio playing most of the time. Last night I drove 60 miles (mixed driving of interstates, two lane highways, residential areas, etc.), the radio was turned off for the entire trip, did not notice any clicking sounds coming from use of OPD.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drive 99% of time using OPD, but I also have the radio playing most of the time. Last night I drove 60 miles (mixed driving of interstates, two lane highways, residential areas, etc.), the radio was turned off for the entire trip, did not notice any clicking sounds coming from use of OPD.
Interesting. You can't pick it up over about 30-40mph. But I would think one would hear this at slow speeds around town if using ODP a lot. I guess they don't all do it.

·
Registered
White P8 aka ORKA * OTA V2.0 * MFD 1/21 * 20" ride.
976 Posts
Just to add to it - i use OPD 99% of time, and have never heard any "clicking" sounds regardless of speed.
Having that said, probably a good mention to Volvo -- it may not be a bother now, but....it shouldn't be doing that either ....without the clicking, it will surely be one **** of a driving experience !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im confirming for the original post that there is a click on OPD mode Once you let off the peddle and go into regenerative braking with the Car (XC40 Version 2.2 and on the original software) that came with my vehicle 1.6 I think. It's a very light clicking sound but you will hear it when creeping around town. There is a road I take with 6 stop signs so it became very apparent to me in the neighborhood daily drive. I got used to it now. Im going to check some settings to see if there is any "feedback" setting that might turn it off.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
812 Posts
I've never heard it in ours and we do 100% OPD. One theory would be the brake lights coming on? Maybe there's a small relay for the lights and depending on the relay it may or may not be an audible click? If those who hear the click could somehow correlate with what would be the brake lights coming on or off, that could confirm my theory? Otherwise no idea!

Reactions: houkura

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have it too. but I don't use OPD. Volvo told me it might be related to a relay.
it's very annoying. would be happy to hear what's the solution.
I'm divining on a C40 with version 2.1.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've never heard it in ours and we do 100% OPD. One theory would be the brake lights coming on? Maybe there's a small relay for the lights and depending on the relay it may or may not be an audible click? If those who hear the click could somehow correlate with what would be the brake lights coming on or off, that could confirm my theory? Otherwise no idea!
Ya know what, I think that it is. It happens right at the point of regen where the brake lights activate. The click very much sounds like a relay. You don't even have the symptom but you might have just pinpointed the cause. Thank you! Car is going in today and I will mention and see if they have any feedback. I'm sure they will say they have never heard of it, as dealers often do. Why some cars do it and others not is strange though. Unless it's simply too subtle for some to hear. Any radio, windows, or speed disguises it.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
812 Posts
Ya know what, I think that it is. It happens right at the point of regen where the brake lights activate. The click very much sounds like a relay. You don't even have the symptom but you might have just pinpointed the cause. Thank you! Car is going in today and I will mention and see if they have any feedback. I'm sure they will say they have never heard of it, as dealers often do. Why some cars do it and others not is strange though. Unless it's simply too subtle for some to hear. Any radio, windows, or speed disguises it.
Interesting. I suppose if it is a relay, depending on the tolerances of the relay, the location, how it interacts to the surrounding components (mounting in fuse/relay centre, sound insulation, trim, etc.) could play a role in whether it can be heard or not. Let us know how you go!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Interesting. I suppose if it is a relay, depending on the tolerances of the relay, the location, how it interacts to the surrounding components (mounting in fuse/relay centre, sound insulation, trim, etc.) could play a role in whether it can be heard or not. Let us know how you go!
Yes could be relays from different suppliers and that is why not every car has the sound.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Ultimate (Red), v2.1
10 Posts
I have a new 2022 that came with 1.8 loaded. I do not recall the clicking at first but I have noticed it after installing 2.1 update. I have a hard time believing it’s the tail lights because when I decelerate slightly in opd, sometimes the blocking is quite rapid. I don’t think our tail lights ever flicker like that with opd(but I’m always inside the car). I was actually trying to figure this problem out and happy to see others hear it too. Looking forward to hearing what dealers say.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also noticed clicking noise on my C40 with 2.1 software. Today i was at the dealer to check this out and drove demo C40 with 2.1 - there was also clicking noise which i know for sure that wasn't there before because i was driving this demo for couple of times (even for whole weekend) so it looks like the problem is software related.
i hope that 2.2 will resolve this but the dealer didn't have option to upgrade software in my car just yet.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge (P8 - USA)
58 Posts
I heard this clicking a couple weeks ago and I don't use OPD. I didn't know if it was always there and I just didn't notice cause I normally have radio on and didn't for that couple minutes or what.

(FWIW my car is affected by the recall about the wire/accelerator problem and waiting on parts though I haven't experienced any accelerator issues the recall warns of.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a new 2022 that came with 1.8 loaded. I do not recall the clicking at first but I have noticed it after installing 2.1 update. I have a hard time believing it’s the tail lights because when I decelerate slightly in opd, sometimes the blocking is quite rapid. I don’t think our tail lights ever flicker like that with opd(but I’m always inside the car). I was actually trying to figure this problem out and happy to see others hear it too. Looking forward to hearing what dealers say.
Yes, you're right. It's not the brake light engagment When i replied this morning my memory was not serving me correctly. It clearly does it throughout the regeneration levels, and as you say, can be quite rapid.
As an update, my car is being kept at the dealer longer until they figure out what the clicking is, so it sounds like it's not intended. It's interesting that you also notice it post 2.1, because that's when mine started up again. 1.6 and 2.1 are the only times I noticed it. It has to be software linked. Had my car done it after the other updates I would have noticed. I'm sure they will sort it out. I'm not sure if there is any relation to the recall, but I suspect not. The car seems to drive normally. Overall my car has been really solid over 10 months, with basically zero issues. I am incredibly sensitive to things functioning outside of specification in cars, and everything seems to be working in this car incredibly well. This pedal thing is the only issue and it's pretty subtle. I've owned over 20 new models in the past 7 or so years so i have a good amount to compare to. The recharge is an impressive vehicle.

·
Registered
Fusion Red ‘22 C40
19 Posts
I replied to another post about the same issue. I started noticing the clicking after 2.1 in OPD, when decelerating. I initially thought it was a brake light relay also, but determined that it’s too fast to be the lights. Hoping to hear what your dealer says. I’d decided to take it in if it was still happening after 2.2.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts