Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took advantage of the $500 ChargePoint credit promotion. Does anyone know if you can use your ChargePoint account balance to pay at Electrify America stations?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Nope no option to use at EA. There was talk of it but it never happened.

You can however use charge point card at EVgo.

Remember that the 150 speed only helps you if you have a low charge. When topping off choose a place can go shop and use up your chargepoint credit.

·
Registered
170 Posts
As noted above, ChargePoint seems to either own or have stake in other networks but NOT the Electrify America, sadly. Just recently, I charged at a "GreenLots" charger using my ChargePoint $500 credit -- and a 62.5 kW max charger. As @SeattleCat notes above, depending on your SOC (State of charge) the benefit of a 100 or 150 kW speed charger may be minimal. And if you can find something to do (shop, eat, etc) the time delta may not even matter.

PS: This payment system splintering is one of the main reasons that EV adoption is going to be "tough" for n00bz in the future. Those of us on here are likely early adopters, and willing to bend a bit to be some of the first. Although many of us have had EVs before -- many on these forums have not. To some degree as more charging stations add RFID/CC readers, that is really the "best" way to charge. That said, if you travel often, and the EA network is available, the $4/mo subscription will benefit you (the savings is worthwhile; if you charge often enough/add enough kW monthly to offset it).

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 20", Heat Pump.
45 Posts
The best long term solution is a global "plug and pay" system. One central payment location. Plug in your car at any high speed charger, it knows you and your car, bills the central location accordingly. No need for cards, apps, voodoo sacrifices, phone calls, etc. Ford is mostly successful with this on EA. VW is supposed to support it at EA soon.

Reactions: arijaycomet

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
149 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 20", Heat Pump.
45 Posts
Yes - thanks, the official name of that standard is "Plug and Charge". However, it is currently limited to the specific models you list and specific charging networks. With "plug and pay" I was referring to a much broader hypothetical approach that is not such a small subset. Maybe plug and charge will become that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That'd be cool if Plug-and-charge would work more globally. I've experienced it with one of the 2x Porsche Taycan that I had, and it just bills directly to your EA account. That was my only experience, and in the states, EA is the only one I know that supports that (beyond Tesla, who doesn't use the ISO standard, but their own).

Since the baseline for most people is swiping a credit card, I think leaving it with that is fine. Going to a contactless system would be nice, too -- but as noted, a more globally accepted system might need to exist. People may be wary of that, though, as then one central place has ALL the fuel costs and all the data, and data is $$ and selling people's data is lucrative. So.... doubt we'd see that.

For now, I would just be happy to more parity on charging. My one EV buddy and I always bemoan the fact that people don't understand the kW differences. Charging at a Chevy dealer? Some of them have 25kW chargers. Versus the 50, 62, 100, 150, 350 kW chargers out there. Gas pumps dont have this issue, and trying to get global adoption will be hard otherwise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts