Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Team,

My 2021 XC 40 was delivered with the rear parking sensors set on low. Consequently, my wife hit a pole in the famous XC 40:mad: blind spot area. Has anyone else had a problem with the sensitivity of the rear parking sensors being incorrect?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Where is this blind spot ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Passenger side rear, Cargo area..no glass makes this a confirmed blind spot and if the sensors do not work, you will hit something. I did.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've driven cars for 40 years without ANY sensors and I've never driven into anything.

This is my first car with a camera and sensors and I like them as an aid to driving and parking.

But I'm still using my eyes to keep from hitting objects, so even if the sensors completely fail I will still not hit objects.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've driven cars for 40 years without ANY sensors and I've never driven into anything.

This is my first car with a camera and sensors and I like them as an aid to driving and parking.

But I'm still using my eyes to keep from hitting objects, so even if the sensors completely fail I will still not hit objects.
I have been driving 40 yrs as well. The object was in a blind spot of the car. I could not see it. I trusted the Volvo people had correctly set up the sensors & alerts, as BMW had. I was wrong. The dealer checked & found the sensors & alerts to be on the wrong setting. I was charged AUD $5,000 or pre-delivery. Now the dealer knows they need to set up these items, which everyone assumes the factory does!

Can you see things in your blind spot? happy to learn how.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sensors may be a great assist, but they don't replace proper settings on the mirrors and correct driving technique to prevent such mishaps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you have missed that the dealer confirmed the sensors & alerts were incorrectly set up after charging $5,000 for the pre-delivery. BMW sensors worked from day 1. Volvo failed. Has been lots of other issues with the "so-called"safety system"

·
Registered
48 Posts
The incorrect setup was NOT the cause of the accident. Over-reliance on the system was a contributing factor added to the human error causing the accident.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am curious how the dealer verified the parking sensor setup. Seems like something we should all know how to do. Maybe walk around the car with a box while some sits in the car in drive with a foot on the brake?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am curious how the dealer verified the parking sensor setup. Seems like something we should all know how to do. Maybe walk around the car with a box while some sits in the car in drive with a foot on the brake?
My 2021 XC40 Momentum T5 experience has been fantastic.

I just drive around, close to cars when I park, close to curbs when I parallel-park and the car alerts me at all times with beeps, boops, images in the center console of which sensor is alerting, bars in the backup camera that change location and color all while keeping me completely informed about my location.

Frankly, I wish it were a little LESS fussy about my parking. I'm capable of larking 2 inches from another car without hitting it, but the car get ANGRY! when I get closer than about 18 inches to another car.

I can deal with it.
I like the help it provides, but I still do not DEPEND on it solely to keep me from hitting objects in my path. I still use the windows, mirrors, and sometimes even stick my head out the window to see what's up.

OH, I also asked it to tip the passenger mirror down while I'm in reverse so I can see the curbs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi All. I thought the value in this forum was to share issues with the Volvo XC-40. Some, however, want to lay blame.

The dealer has accepted blame for the accident. He is a new Volvo dealer who handles many other brands and may be the dealership had not fully understood how to check sensors etc. Another problem with the same car is the cruise control adaptive radar gets confused about which lane it should be looking in and slows the car, when no car is ahead of U. This has happed 20+ times....hmmm. In a stationary car, parked, the open bonnet alarm scares the **** out of you - In Error. Happened 3 times. The overriding of the driver is very invasive and scary. Love the idea of an AI car that improves safety but it needs to be set up properly...Volvo & the dealers need to get better at it. I am not paid to be part of Volvo TQM. Hard to trust a safety system that scares you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I thought the value in this forum was to share issues with the Volvo XC-40. Some, however, want to lay blame.
I agree with you, however, I shared my experience and you laid the blame on the Volvo dealer several times.

I'm sorry your wife drove into a post and damaged your vehicle.
I'm happy (for you) that you convinced Volvo to repair it for free.
I hope in the future your wife will be able to avoid driving into posts and damaging the vehicle by using all the built-in safety features of your Volvo XC40 as wll as human sensation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am replying to all the posts, not just yours. Yes, the dealer has accepted blame..now to see if they pay. Again this forum is supposed to be about faults with Volvo XC-40...not who is the best / worst driver. Or are U confused as to what this forum is about?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts