Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I generally park my car next to my house with the wing mirror a few inches off the wall. However my xc40 refuses to let me do so and brakes violently!
How do I overcome this problem?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Johne,

Good question. I am still a new owner (just bought my 2020 XC40 this past May). One of the reasons I bought the XC40 was that it would fit inside of my garage. I think I have experienced what you are describing. When I first came home and pulled into my garage, I attempted to pull all the way in like I had with my previous car and the sensors picked up on objects at at the front of the garage and slammed on the brakes. I knew the items were there and have been there. I always knew how to slowly approach it and stop my vehicle within a few inches. This assured me of having plenty of room in the back for the garage door to come down and close without damaging my vehicle. I was not able to do that with the Volvo and had to rearrange a few things in the front of the garage to allow me to get closer. I assume there is something we can turn off to disable that front sensors when we do not want them on. Same as disabling the auto start/stop and folding in the sideview mirrors, etc. Will follow this topic to see if someone else figures this out. I solved the problem by cleaning up the garage, but can now see that it might be a problem in some other area where I don't have the option of removing things in the way. I wonder how this impacts parallel parking? I have not yet had to do that, but in many cases, it is a tight fit to get in a parallel parking spot, and you can easily be right up on the other vehicle in front or in the rear's bumper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds exactly the same! I have overcome it by braking when the warning gets loud, and then moving forward again making sure i'm running parallel to the wall.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your issue sounds like it is related to the Park Assist feature. Although I have never turned this off, doing so will probably solve your problem. That said, I have found that when I ease the car very slowly toward obstacles, I am warned, but the brakes are not applied. I actually have a railroad tie in the garage to stop my front wheels, leaving only about a foot between the front bumper and the wall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My suggestion is that you ask your Volvo serviceman about this. I had similair issues with autobraking to the extent that the car did not felt safe as it were.
It turned out to be a safety camera calibration issue. Going through food drive-ins was almost impossible without disabling the safety feature.

After the calibration, things worked out exactly as intended, and i don’t need to park my car to get some fast food anymore:) Happy days!

Have you tested the autopilot feature and noticed the car to be slightly un-aligned on the road?(try this on a straight and flat road) This is the same camera that collects the information to be processed. The calibration was very quickly done by my Volvo serviceman.

·
Super Moderator
179 Posts
Interesting. I have never had this issue when parking. It usually happens when driving and the system doesn't like how close I get to the car ahead of me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts