Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mesh on the sunroof...does it baffle the sunlight/heat out enough? In scalding hot weather that would be a tough sell. TIA!

·
Registered
609 Posts
The mesh on the sunroof...does it baffle the sunlight/heat out enough? In scalding hot weather that would be a tough sell. TIA!
I went ahead to get the Sunroof tinted as well when all other windows were done w/ 98% heat rejection - there's ZERO shade at work, I had to do everything possible within my control to reduce heat in any manner even for 1 second ! I'm in TX, outside temp. been reading 105-110 last week easily when not moving AND summer hasn't even officially arrived yet. Compared to previous years, this one will be a brutal summer.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I went ahead to get the Sunroof tinted as well when all other windows were done w/ 98% heat rejection - there's ZERO shade at work, I had to do everything possible within my control to reduce heat in any manner even for 1 second ! I'm in TX, outside temp. been reading 105-110 last week easily when not moving AND summer hasn't even officially arrived yet. Compared to previous years, this one will be a brutal summer.
How much improvement did tinting roof make? And overall you did clear on the factory tinted with added heat rejection? I have been debating that, especially the roof.

·
Registered
609 Posts
How much improvement did tinting roof make? And overall you did clear on the factory tinted with added heat rejection? I have been debating that, especially the roof.
TINT: The Driver and Passenger windows ARE factory tinted. You can run your fingers at the edge of the window and you can feel there's a "layer". Where else the sunroof, passenger windows and rear are only what's called "Privacy screen", there's min to no heat rejection back there in some cases. The front shield has UV protection already so no worries.
1) I went ahead to apply a "clear" tint on the Front shield, that's 75% heat rejection - about 2 hours
2) Followed by the rest of the passenger windows and rear with the highest heat rejection (Brand used: XPEL) nano ceramic at 98% heat rejection
3) NOW...... I had initially left the Driver & Passenger window factory tinted, BUT I did notice a difference when i put my hand on/close to the window between the Factory tint and the new applied ones at 98%. So immediately, I made another appointment to get them replaced with the 98% as well. In order to do this, they will first remove the factory tint layer, then apply the new ones.

HEAT: The reality is no matter what, when a Car is baked out there for hours, it WILL get hot regardless what you put on. The main differences are:
1) It is indeed STILL cooler when higher heat rejection tints are utilized
2) Because it's cooler, it takes NO time to cool off the vehicle
Example: Since the tints, even though its been clocking min > 105 outside temp, but I pre-cool the car through VOC about 15 mins before I actually step into the car., by time I enter the Car, it's already "comfortable" inside. BEFORE, my Audi had regular factory tints and no pre-cooling.... when I step into the car, I would literally be sweating already and with AC cranked up, it's still blowing HOT air for the next 5 miles. I'm esctatic to say I no longer have this issue.
3) Especially when you're driving, say long traffic light or stuck at traffic with the sun beating down on you, the 98% heat rejection is when you absolutely feel the difference - it's almost cool to the touch

I take my fury baby with me often in the Car, so that's one of the reasons I need it to be comfortable for him. And, I'm super prone to migraine in heat and humidity...so for those reasons, hands down a great investment overall.

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I may do the sunroof as it is always in the sun usually when driving where either side may not be. thanks

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Are there currently good options to get the paint treated to reflect?

would you paint or have your paint treated to make it cool to the touch?

I am curious :) we treat our cars paint as almost sacred :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
attached a long standing issue with the sunroof "gurgling". I noticed it on my 2021 and was surprised to see it was a known issue in the 2019 and 2020 models. dumb they didn't fix this by now.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts