Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgraded my iPhone (which was working fine with app) to iPhone 13.

Can't get it to unpair old phone and pair with new. Keep getting "already paired" message even when I disconnect old phone in app.

Anyone done this? Suggestions or pointers appreciated.

· Registered
45 Posts
Hey there! Did you sort out the fix? It happened to me once before and I had to get instructions from app support. I just emailed them for the fix, will post it here once i get a reply. I think it's that you have to factory reset the car (ughhhhhhh) but that's why i emailed, to confirm before hitting the nuclear option haha

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did get it to work, but it was one of those trial-and-error situations where one of my many tries suddenly worked. Unfortunately, can't remember what I did... I'd be interested in what support says. Would believe that phone upgrades would be a fairly common thing that Volvo should have anticipated.

· Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
219 Posts
Yup, speaking from experience, you need to unpair what ever primary phone is for your Volvo, then add the new phone afterwards as the "new" primary phone. Kinda stinks since people swap out phones without thinking about its coupled to my car. Poor planning on Volvo's part. What if you lost your phone or it was stolen/destroyed Volvo makes you start over with the car.

· Registered
181 Posts
Yup, speaking from experience, you need to unpair what ever primary phone is for your Volvo, then add the new phone afterwards as the "new" primary phone. Kinda stinks since people swap out phones without thinking about its coupled to my car. Poor planning on Volvo's part. What if you lost your phone or it was stolen/destroyed Volvo makes you start over with the car.
You don't need your old phone. All I did was go into bluetooth on the car picked my old phone and delete. Then paired my new phone with Bluetooth on the car.

· Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,191 Posts
You don't need your old phone. All I did was go into bluetooth on the car picked my old phone and delete. Then paired my new phone with Bluetooth on the car.
It sounds like you transferred your old iPhone's data, apps, and settings over to your new phone directly, using one of Apple's transfer tools - either wireless Quick Start or iTunes backup/restore. It therefore wasn't a "new phone", it was basically a "clone" of your old phone. If you do that, then you shouldn't have to un-pair the Volvo Cars app first. The existing VC app data and car-pairing security tokens would transfer over to the new phone.

EDIT: but if you actually set up a new phone from scratch, then you WILL need the old phone. You'll need to go into the Volvo Cars app on the old phone, and un-pair the VC app from your vehicle. Otherwise the VC app won't be able to pair with the new phone, and you may have to do a factory reset on your car's settings.

· Registered
181 Posts
It sounds like you transferred your old iPhone's data, apps, and settings over to your new phone directly, using one of Apple's transfer tools - either wireless Quick Start or iTunes backup/restore. It therefore wasn't a "new phone", it was basically a "clone" of your old phone. If you do that, then you shouldn't have to un-pair the Volvo Cars app first. The existing VC app data and car-pairing security tokens would transfer over to the new phone.

EDIT: but if you actually set up a new phone from scratch, then you WILL need the old phone. You'll need to go into the Volvo Cars app on the old phone, and un-pair the VC app from your vehicle. Otherwise the VC app won't be able to pair with the new phone, and you may have to do a factory reset on your car's settings.
Yes I did quick start. As mentioned I deleted my 'old' phone from bluetooth. Was it necessary? I don't know but everything works in the car and on the app. It was a simple thing to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.