Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why Volvo lists 19 XC40 (non-EV) wheels as not suited for the P8 (the list here has all these "Excl. pure electric" disclaimers)? I know the Recharge P8 wheels are designed to be more aerodynamic for range — is that the only reason?

I'm thinking of buying some take-offs from an XC40 R-Design to use as a winter wheel set, and the parameters all seem right. I just wanted to double check if anyone knew of a fit issue that wasn't obvious.

I'm also interested if anyone has anything to say about the fact that the R-Design has different sized front and rear wheels. If I got a set of take-offs that had new XC40 tires on them, I wonder what the impact would be of throwing them on the Recharge. Trying to suss out if there's a potential hit to sportiness or range, vs. an actual safety issue.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
P8 wheels are different widths for front and back.
I get that, I'm just trying to figure out why and what the implications are.

Browsing around Volvo's site, I see they say:
Important
Vehicles with different tire or wheel dimensions on the front and rear axles must always have the wider tires and/or wheels on the rear axle. Switching between front and rear wheels, e.g. to obtain more even tire wear between the front and rear tires, is not allowed.
So that's pretty no-nonsense, even though it doesn't give the reasoning. Maybe weight distribution is unusual because of the batteries? Volvo seems pretty clear about it so I won't tempt fate.

Reactions: Ces

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
222 Posts
I guess I don't understand the question? I think all the non-P8 sets on that page would be the same width for front and rear. Or are you asking why Volvo is recommending that?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I don't understand the question? I think all the non-P8 sets on that page would be the same width for front and rear. Or are you asking why Volvo is recommending that?
Yeah, I was just trying to figure out if was a performance v. safety thing.
If performance, I wouldn't have minded breaking the rule.
If safety, I wouldn't ever.

Reactions: Ces

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yeah, I was just trying to figure out if was a performance v. safety thing.
If performance, I wouldn't have minded breaking the rule.
If safety, I wouldn't ever.
Typically, EVs are running wider tires to accommodate the weight. If you look at the load rating of the tires used on the P8 compared to other XC40 you'll see they carry a higher load rating. This is also the most likely reason why we have a wider rear wheel/tire combo; to accommodate the greater battery weight, but also the GVWR max load allowable. Going with non-P8 wheels would be a problem if:
1- the wheels are not appropriately load rated
2- the tires you could fit to those narrower wheels could not also be load rated
I'd "tread lightly" (no pun intended) when it comes to this matter.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd "tread lightly" (no pun intended) when it comes to this matter.
Yeah, full agreement.

I'll just have to keep an eye out for take-off wheels from an XC40 Recharge, which I imagine is going to be a more elusive prey than the normal XC40 wheels. I'm too cheap to pay Volvo's retail price for wheels.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yeah, full agreement.
I'll just have to keep an eye out for take-off wheels from an XC40 Recharge, which I imagine is going to be a more elusive prey than the normal XC40 wheels. I'm too cheap to pay Volvo's retail price for wheels.
Back when I had my model X ... I had wanted different wheels. I did my homework on the whole "load rating" thing (hence why I was aware to reply accordingly, above). This is not a shameless plug for my blog site, as I don't really make new posts anymore, anyhow. But as example, see my link end of this reply.

TL;DR
There are some aftermarket wheels out there that would be appropriately load rated. I'd stay at 2000-LB load rating if you can, as that is overhead/safer that way. And of course same with tires, figure out what we need for our cars, and go same-or-higher. A little google searching of the right offset/width/bolt pattern, you may find options exist.

PS:
Since the Polestar 2 is the same platform, I'd be willing to bet those wheels would fit. And more PS2 owners are going with fancy aftermarket options than XC40 owners. So as you search eBay/etc for used Volvo wheels, check for those PS2 options too-- both the 19s and 20s would be / should be load rated, right size, etc!

LINK:

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
222 Posts
Since the Polestar 2 is the same platform, I'd be willing to bet those wheels would fit. And more PS2 owners are going with fancy aftermarket options than XC40 owners. So as you search eBay/etc for used Volvo wheels, check for those PS2 options too-- both the 19s and 20s would be / should be load rated, right size, etc!
Likewise for C40 wheels, which look quite nice.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
225 Posts
The part that bugs me is the internal programming that the vehicle stores for the wheel/tire performance. If you look at the wheel accessories for each wheel size, they have a different part number for the software application. This is important not just for ride quality, but also tire wear. Since the sizes are slightly different for front/rear, they probably bias the ratio of power distributed to each axle.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Leaving this here for my future self (buy them from Riley Volvo when they're having another sale)

Reactions: arijaycomet

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
698 Posts
Leaving this here for my future self (buy them from Riley Volvo when they're having another sale)

View attachment 1175
That's a shockingly deep Dealer discount !
I'd be interested in swapping out current 20" with 19" rims. For me, in terms of the staggering variation of sizes between front and back, for psychological peace of mind, I would just stick with the sizes recommended.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a shockingly deep Dealer discount !
I'd be interested in swapping out current 20" with 19" rims. For me, in terms of the staggering variation of sizes between front and back, for psychological peace of mind, I would just stick with the sizes recommended.
Riley has great discounts and ships super fast.

Reactions: MMK

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The original prices are insane. I bought nice aftermarket wheels for my Audi for like $300-$400 each shipped. Even my Acura factory wheels were like $400 list price.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
From what I have read Ev tires to be:

A. More sticky/have more traction due to the instant on power from the lights.
B. More durable due to the Insta power
C. Quieter as there is very low engine noises
D. More efficient in rolling friction.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I am not sure I would call the P8 tires quiet. They are not bad, but they are no quieter than any other tire I have owned. While low rolling resistance and sticky are not mutually exclusive that is a rather delicate balance. Sticky by nature indicates more resistance. I think the stock Pirelli are decent EV tires, would be curious to see Michelin and Congo to offer something for the P8.

I would love to see Michelin release these in our size and load;

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
No they are not quiet. But I was talking about ideal even tires. Not sure if we have them or they even exist for our setups yet?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The biggest problem with SUVs is the rear tires are in the cabin. Every SUV my wife has owned has always had more road noise than my sedans. While I have moved to SUVs I do mis the sedan ride and quietness. They really need to learn how to make the rear section of SUVs quieter. We put back on that rear panel that open and closes with the rear hatch to help squelch some of the noise.

Reactions: SeattleCat
1 - 20 of 38 Posts