Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Got my p8 on Monday and, so far, it’s a great vehicle. I upgraded from an xc40 D4 so i thought I’d be used to the car. But it’s a very different beast - have scared myself a couple of times with the acceleration already!

Sorry to come with the newbie questions, but I’ve learned lots here already so wondered if I could resolve some frustrations.

1) is there an equivalent to auto-hold (in other words the button that used to be next to the gear selector in my old car) when not in single pedal mode?

2) any way to tailor what’s on the driver display beyond the 3 modes? For instance the in car manual shows range as a distance rather than %. Anyone found how to toggle that?

3) also with regard to the driver screen, I can’t get info like the current Spotify track to come up. Maybe you can’t do that, but it was possible on Sensus.

hopefully I can share my own wisdom as I get to grips with the new wheels!

·
Registered
10 Posts
In response to your second question; I believe the range in miles only shows up when you're under 20% battery or thereabouts, although in my first week of ownership, I haven't been down to that level yet - I'm sure others can confirm.

However, as a workaround I learned from this review on YouTube that you can hit the voice control button and ask "What's my range in miles?" (or something similar - I'm not at the car to double check) and the Google Assistant will respond with an estimate. This was nowhere to be found in the user manual. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
261 Posts
I too would like to see range in miles. I read somewhere that Volvo wants to mitigate "range anxiety" but in my opinion it makes it worse. I really want to see a setting to show that along with SOC % number.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think one of the tips I learned here that as a rough approximation, "double the percentage" is close enough to range in miles, assuming an optimistic 208mi at full charge. But the Google Assistant workaround is fine for me most of the time so far.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
261 Posts
But the Google Assistant workaround is fine for me most of the time so far.
I haven't tried this, but I'm assuming it's verbal response? I'm actually hearing impaired to the point where I can't understand audible speech without lipreading to go along with it.

It'd be nice if (more) verbal responses were shown with text. I might be able to get Google/Volvo to allow this under the "ADA angle", hmmm...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't tried this, but I'm assuming it's verbal response? I'm actually hearing impaired to the point where I can't understand audible speech without lipreading to go along with it.

It'd be nice if (more) verbal responses were shown with text. I might be able to get Google/Volvo to allow this under the "ADA angle", hmmm...
Oh, that's super interesting. I just went to the car and confirmed: On an 87% SoC, I asked "What's my range in miles?" and it replied "You can drive for about 180 miles on the remaining charge." - although my spoken command was written out in text, the response was audio only - which for you is an accessibility fail. Now I'm curious about Automotive OS settings and how to file bugs/feature requests with Google...

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
You can target somewhere in navigation and it will tell you the remaining charge. This is one way to find out the dynamic range based on your current driving.

It would be lovely to have a visual remaining range. Volvo decided not to do this for reasons. However d they did put the google assistant line in perhaps you could approach them along the accessibility angle and ask they put it on a screen for the hearing impaired.

Reactions: blitzswede
1 - 7 of 7 Posts