Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks.

I finally got my auto-bending-lights (ABL) issue sorted out with the dealer service department. They ended up replacing the headlamp control unit and at least one (?) headlight, per the service documentation. So now I have active bending and also now realize the auto-level is working. (In retrospect now that it IS working, I think auto-level stopped working somewhere along in there too, so it was both ABL and auto-level).

HOWEVER!!!

I drove in the dark this morning and I can see that the well-defined upper line of the light beam while in low beams is higher than I would expect from experience with other cars. That is, I drive down my tree-lined street and the upper edge looks like it's 6-8 feet up on the trees along the street. From memory with other cars, I believe it should be around waist high. Indeed, someone flashed their high beams at me.

So I'd like to ask any of you for an observation -- how high does your low beam 'line' extend while you drive, eg 100 feet away?

And any techies -- my service advisor isn't sure there's an adjustment to be made with auto-leveling, but he did offer to check with the techs. Google searching has some references to adjustments for auto-leveling lights in general, I just haven't found any specific to XC40 or Volvos in general.

I do like all the light but I don't want to risk blinding other drivers or causing problems if my low beams are indeed too high.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
You have me curious now whether my auto balancing has stopped or whether I just no longer notice it doing it :)

I have found my lights to be perfect on dark country roads.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you start (shift into D or R) it with lights on, you should see the beams dip down, then up past normal, then settle into some semblance of normal. That's the auto-level doing it's thing. Before my headlight warnings started coming on, I saw this, but for the life of me I can't remember if the auto-level stopped working coincidental with the error code for ABL.

As far as the beam level, I'm just feeling uneasy that my beams 'level' a bit higher than they should. I'll take our '21 Ridgeline out at night and photograph where the level is, and repeat with the XC40 and see what's different, if any. Maybe I'm just having "automatic rough" symptoms.

If you or anyone else isn't sure about auto-level, I'd be happy to capture a video snip, and also a photo of the beam height on both vehicles. I want to get it for myself and the service advisor if I decide I'm not crazy in my perception of the beam level.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I checked it last night and it still does it auto leveling. I had just gotten used to it.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I really wish there was a way to disable the bending headlights, I can only imagine how expensive repairing those are out of warranty. I would also like to disable the folding mirrors like I can on the T5.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I really wish there was a way to disable the bending headlights, I can only imagine how expensive repairing those are out of warranty. I would also like to disable the folding mirrors like I can on the T5.
Perhaps when bugs are ironed out they can add in more options for things like disable folding mirrors.

Would be nice to be in the big free place where they had that time :)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Something tells me the Volvo software team is overwhelmed right now chasing gremlins. Glad I don’t use XM seems people are saying that does not work well. I wish Audi had their car ready to try. Dealer emailed yesterday and still no ETA on when the Q4 will be in US, best guess is December. They have no details on which cars are coming or the configs.

Reactions: SeattleCat

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm curious why about bending headlights? Don't like them?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The lights throw wide enough beam that to me the advantage is not worth the risk of them failing 5 or 6 years down the road and coasting a few grand to fix. Same with folding mirrors, no real advantage for me and in 5 or 6 years a costly repair. My guess is those headlight assemblies can get very expensive with all the parts in them and I know my Audi A6 they ran upwards of $2800 each, but I think they were completely sealed assembly.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I will check again in AM, but I notice it when I go around the traffic circle how it bends.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
236 Posts
We have our light switch in AUTO since day 1 as well and the ABL and auto level work fine. The only thing you don’t get in AUTO mode is the high/low beam automatic function (high beams automatically dip to low beams when it sees a car in front or at low speeds). I think that has to be switched on every time you take a drive - it can’t be left on permanently.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
OK on way to work today with switch in Auto leveling and bending occurred. Even switching to Auto high beams the bending still occurred.

Reactions: Greg S

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Not sure. Headlight bending is not a big deal to me, I travel well lit roads and where it would provide value in 90% of cases for me there are street lights in those areas. This is my first car with hem, and I would be fine if I could disable them. I actually find the light pattern the lights throw to be very good, probably better than most cars I have owned.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Headlight bending can be turned off… the switch has to be taken out of “auto”. By putting the switch in the position below “auto”, (light symbol), headlights come on and do not bend.
Aren't they on all the time in that position?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts