Volvo XC40 Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
P8 owner for one month. Life long Volvo owner (50 years)! Awesome addition to my Volvo experience. However..... 1) being told that VOC, Google automotive, Sirius XM, and Apple Car Play are waiting software updates that may be not until late summer or the fall is unacceptable. IT IS SOFTWARE! How can that require months to resolve and distribute? 2) our delivery options were fixed at the time of order, being told that other than the color and tire size all vehicles distributed in the US (Northeast) would have a heat pump, HK audio, heated front/rear seats, etc. No complaint there, all great to have. However there is no instruction on the heat pump operation in the owner's manual or provided by the dealer at delivery. How does it work in hot weather vs. cold weather, is there any action needed in its use or non-use??? I look forward to the software updates and bug (of which there are many) resolutions! Other than that, the P8 is our retirement adventure to enjoy.
Echoing SeattleCat re. HeatPump -- its an integrated mechanics on the overall design. Nothing for Drivers to engage with -- "assuming" it's working, it's supposed to recycle the heating/cooling portion back into the system resulting in "saved energy" - what does that equate to ? Perhaps a few extra miles.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nothing for Drivers to engage with -- "assuming" it's working, it's supposed to recycle the heating/cooling portion back into the system resulting in "saved energy" - what does that equate to ? Perhaps a few extra miles.
EV's don't have a hot combustion engine to provide heat for the cabin, so they normally have to use electrical (resistive) heating which can waste a lot of power. Rather than "creating" heat, a heat pump moves it from the outside to the inside, with the help of some refrigerant and a compressor. It uses a lot less electricity, and works in both directions for both heating & AC.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Another good option is: Seats material -- Provide options of Leather, Nubuck, Beige etc.
Not a fan of Nubuck, it's like a magnet to fury baby hair, overall cleaning is not as efficient.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Another good option is: Seats material -- Provide options of Leather, Nubuck, Beige etc.
Not a fan of Nubuck, it's like a magnet to fury baby hair, overall cleaning is not as efficient.
I almost did not get the car becasue of the Nubuck. This is the new fad, any sport car has some sort of suede like material in seats. Give me full leather or simulated leathers, anything other than nubuck is how. Also if they had gone full leathers or similar they could have offered vented seats.

Reactions: MMK

·
Registered
72 Posts
(1) The lowest setting for the AC fan seems quite high for being the lowest setting. I wish it were so quiet that it could be barely heard. The remaining four levels should be able to provide ample flow when necessary. (2) The blind spot indicators on the mirrors are on nearly all the time. It seems to me that they need to tweak the programming.

·
Registered
974 Posts
(1) The lowest setting for the AC fan seems quite high for being the lowest setting. I wish it were so quiet that it could be barely heard. The remaining four levels should be able to provide ample flow when necessary. (2) The blind spot indicators on the mirrors are on nearly all the time. It seems to me that they need to tweak the programming.
1. My low fan seems low. Makes me wonder if there is a variance in the low setting. Do you have a sound meter on your phone. Would be interesting to know the level and frequency of your sound.
2. my blind spot indicators only light up when appropriate. Perhaps yours has a malfunction?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Interesting about the blind spot. I will compare to other P8s, maybe at the dealer. And I will look for a sound meter app. Thanks.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I find the auto setting for the AC is decent, at times I think it needs to run the fan a tad higher, but otherwise my biggest complaint is the 2 degree temp selection. My blind spot indicators seem to come on as expected and comparable to other cars I have had.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Even in manual mode, I was surprised that the fan speed is also determined by the set temperature value. If it is far from the measured temperature, it will rev higher. I wish it didn't do that.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Interesting about the blind spot. I will compare to other P8s, maybe at the dealer. And I will look for a sound meter app. Thanks.
Agree with Maribo on the "sound level" of the AC. At the lowest setting, it's still quiet however the next setting up the "level sound" is amplified. When compared to previous Audi, yes that was the first thing I'd actually noticed when i took delivery of the Car. For that sound level, it gives the perception that very quickly, artic blast will do its part. PERHAPS psychologically i don't "feel" like the car is cooling down "as much" given it's blowing so hard ? HHHmmm.....

I have to admit the AC appears to be functioning better and steady since the latest update. I used to set it up 64 and it was barely cold (that's when i'd started another AC thread here about not being up to par). But a few days after the update, I had noticed the Car cooling off much faster. Now, the setting is at 68 and I'm super comfortable. As a point of reference from 64 to 68, that's a great improvement. So hope it continues to stabilize itself.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Even in manual mode, I was surprised that the fan speed is also determined by the set temperature value. If it is far from the measured temperature, it will rev higher. I wish it didn't do that.
Thank you. I didn't realize that it did that. I will just tweak the temperature setting to lower the fan speed. I like to run without AC for as long as I can stand it.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts