Volvo XC40 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Maybe it’s there as a conundrum.

Boorn the intern was feeling ornery the night he slipped the useless thing into design plans. He sat back laughing at how people would try and work out what on earth it is …

·
Registered
571 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wonder about it being an actual ashtray; all my long-ago life (with smoker parents), ashtrays lifted out for dumping or cleaning. This one doesn't seem to want to come out, unless I'm missing some tab/button somewhere.
The UK handbook confirms it is an ashtray and is removable. I have in fact managed to pull it out (just pull firmly upwards, although it wasn't easy!) to see if the space in which it was fitted was more useful but couldn't think of how best to utilise it. Perhaps at some point in the future there will be a third-party unit purpose-made to fill the space and hold coins or phone or whatever. My old Saab had something to replace the ashtray and provide extra storage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, please. Taking a cue from Nissan/Infiniti - the default screen should be 360 view on top half, rear cam on bottom half. That covers everything I usually want to see: 1) things immediately around my vehicle, and 2) a clear view of the whole route behind me when backing up.

EDIT: the top-half view of just the car itself has no value except showing which Park Assist sensors are triggered - and those are ALSO shown in the 360 view anyway!
I guess they figure, why do you need 360 if going in one direction ;-)

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
19 Posts
P8 owner for one month. Life long Volvo owner (50 years)! Awesome addition to my Volvo experience. However..... 1) being told that VOC, Google automotive, Sirius XM, and Apple Car Play are waiting software updates that may be not until late summer or the fall is unacceptable. IT IS SOFTWARE! How can that require months to resolve and distribute? 2) our delivery options were fixed at the time of order, being told that other than the color and tire size all vehicles distributed in the US (Northeast) would have a heat pump, HK audio, heated front/rear seats, etc. No complaint there, all great to have. However there is no instruction on the heat pump operation in the owner's manual or provided by the dealer at delivery. How does it work in hot weather vs. cold weather, is there any action needed in its use or non-use??? I look forward to the software updates and bug (of which there are many) resolutions! Other than that, the P8 is our retirement adventure to enjoy.

·
Registered
571 Posts
There no proof one even has a heat pump …

It is though not something we operate it is just there to improve efficiency in heating or cooling or both depending on how they implemented it.

As to software taking time … software has always taken a long time to work.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I guess they figure, why do you need 360 if going in one direction ;-)
I'm hopeful this is actually a software limitation they will eventually fix - eg, current software release doesn't allow 2 live camera streams on a split-screen screen or something like that - so they just stuck that useless static car picture there as a placeholder.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm hopeful this is actually a software limitation they will eventually fix - eg, current software release doesn't allow 2 live camera streams on a split-screen screen or something like that - so they just stuck that useless static car picture there as a placeholder.
I imagine 360 will only work in full screen due to portrait layout, and by law you need the direct reverse camera displayed. So having the car with radar alerts on the top half, makes sense.

I get 360 automatically when pulling forward slowly into a parking spot for example.. which is helpful... I don't see how 360 would be more helpful then rear cam when going in reverse .

·
Registered
39 Posts
I imagine 360 will only work in full screen due to portrait layout, and by law you need the direct reverse camera displayed. So having the car with radar alerts on the top half, makes sense.

I get 360 automatically when pulling forward slowly into a parking spot for example.. which is helpful... I don't see how 360 would be more helpful then rear cam when going in reverse .
My 2020 Toyota RAV4 has simultaneously on the screen 360 view and forward (or reverse) view. It can be done and done well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't see how 360 would be more helpful then rear cam when going in reverse .
Once you get used to having BOTH 360 and rear cam at the same time, it's hard to do without. I've had that combo on my previous Infiniti cars for the last 15 years. It's just software. Volvo will figure it out eventually.

Rear view cam of course is required by law, and always good to see entire path behind you. But I also need 360 cam when backing out of my garage, to see clearance with garage doors & know just when to turn to avoid wife's car parked outside garage.

Side note: so far the BEST thing about the P8 is that I finally get to be the one parking inside our single garage stall. Because that's where the (previously-unused) wall charger is! :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Sometimes whilst reversing you are also risking smacking the front or front sides of your car.

Sometimes I reverse with 360 on. Sometimes with reverse. The option for both would be nice.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think the issue is how Volvo renders the 360 image. They use the entire center screen for 360 to keep the proportions of a long car in the tall screen. If they split the screen the 360 ration would be more wide than tall and screw up their image. I guess I see their issue in how to render them both on a vertical screen. Most of my cars have had wider than taller screens to it was easier to do.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think the issue is how Volvo renders the 360 image. They use the entire center screen for 360 to keep the proportions of a long car in the tall screen. If they split the screen the 360 ration would be more wide than tall and screw up their image. I guess I see their issue in how to render them both on a vertical screen. Most of my cars have had wider than taller screens to it was easier to do.
No, I don't think that's the ultimate issue. Cropping a portrait-mode image to fit in a landscape aspect-ratio is not exactly rocket science. Their stupid useless static car image fits in there just fine, with plenty of room to stitch in the surround video on all sides. I think the current view is just what they happen to have implemented so far, possibly because the OS and or graphics hardware doesn't yet support split-screen live video streams.
EDIT: plenty of room around the car for surround video:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, I guess Volvo owes me $350 😜
I think this is correct. I recall someone else saying that if a feature/option is listed on the window sticker then, by law, it must be in/on the vehicle. So ... window sticker is the proof.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Cropping a portrait-mode image to fit in a landscape aspect-ratio is not exactly rocket science. Their stupid useless static car image fits in there just fine, with plenty of room to stitch in the surround video on all sides.
They could easily just stack the portrait-mode camera view on top of the landscape-mode one, if they didn't want to mess with the stitching algorithm:

41 - 60 of 64 Posts