Volvo XC40 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
It has been mentioned before that the rear view camera operates differently in the US and Canada. I suspect this is because of:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.111 said:
(b) Final requirements. Each passenger car with a GVWR of 4,536 kg or less manufactured on or after May 1, 2018, shall display a rearview image meeting the requirements of S5.5.1 through S5.5.7.
Where rearview image is defined by:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/definitions/index.php?width=840&height=800&iframe=true&def_id=6aea3bff4eebe1124eff0bf27b131205&term_occur=999&term_src=Title:49:Subtitle:B:Chapter:V:Part:571:Subpart:B:571.111 said:
Rearview image means a visual image, detected by means of a single source, of the area directly behind a vehicle that is provided in a single location to the vehicle operator and by means of indirect vision.
(emphasis mine)

Meaning that #2 and #3 on the list are intentional to stay compliant with current federal regulations.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Seems odd as the screen on the wife’s RDX was far smaller than the P8 or T5, they can clearly do a split screen and put the rear view image on top of a 360 image, like I said my wife’s car does that on a far smaller screen

·
Registered
92 Posts
- Persistently display the odometer. (the only way I can see total miles on the car is to press the button on the right/center of the steering wheel)

- Display a warning if you're driving and the hood is not fully locked closed (I drove across a windy bridge in Seattle and thought the hood was going to fly open ... turns out one side of the hood was not fully latched/locked closed)

·
Registered
188 Posts
What I used to like about my wife’s Acura is the 370 camera cam on by default when you hit reverse then stayed on in D until you got over 10mph. Would like something like that on the P8.

Put Auto hold in the menu somewhere without me needing to enable one pedal mode.

Put the odometer on the gauge cluster

add and miles until zero % range estimate, even gas cars do that.
Out P8 does that 360 when backing up and stays on when start to move forward till hit a higher forward speed. We like it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yes it is a picture of a small phone with curvey brackets around it.
Finally I saw it after all of you guys feedback -- it was soooOOOooo tiny i never even realized it. I'm hoping it would be "on your face" kinda bold indicator like "CHARGING" to clearly and undoubtly see it. Perhaps its old age eyes not helping either.. hahah

·
Registered
21 Posts
No doubt, majority of us agree it's been "Great Fun" thus far. But LISTEN up Volvo Marketing/Engineering/R&D......to further complete and hold on to your market share before Competitors come pouring in, continuous improvement is a GIVEN such as.......
1) On the phone charging pad: When the "charging is engaged", it's almost impossible to tell unless you literally bend down and squint your eye to try and catch the super small icon on your phone itself. Suggestion: When charging is engaged, display in BOLD LETTER on the main infotainment so there's zero guessing game of whether it's charging or not. It's a shame is you throw your phone there only to find out it hadn't been charging during a long drive!

2) When the Camera is engaged, show a FULL screen on the infotainment - there's almost minimal to no value for using utilizing half of the screen while the other visual of the "car" itself again, has minimal value

3) When the HomeLink is engaged, automatically also show the 360 degree on the Infotainment (Full screen, not half screen)

4) Incorporate a permanent "blind spot" mirror on the side mirrors as the Mirrors are quite large enough to incorporate. Lighted indicators are great, but doesn't hurt to have a secondary check point

5) "Allocate" or "Design" an ergonomic location for Sunglasses where it can be properly placed especially if within "dead spaces" vs. taking up space in on the arm rest compartment

6) Integrate dashcam camera for the Front and Back the minute the car starts moving. Keep the video feed for a week before erasing them. There are cameras to date to enable 360 so do enhance it ! Totally useful in case of accidents or fender bender

7) Like TSLA, Doggie mode !

8) The car has the functionality to "pre-heat" -- again, just like TSLA, automatically activate heating/cooling elements for a set period of time if the temperature gets to 100% or 20% (or whatever the threshold is) BUT de-activate it if battery is < 40% (or whatever is deemed as a conservative level)

9) This will be HEAVEN: Incorporate an internal vacuum cleaner ! There's more than enough space to allocate a small container - it's great to be abel to pick up dog hair, human dander etc

10) DO get the VOC function properly ASAP!

11).....12).....13)....ANYONE ?
Great ideas. Blind spot convex mirror installed by me is a very important safety addition. I have done so for all my cars the last 25 years. NAPA has one about 2.5 in with good adhesive that hasn’t failed yet. Factory version is standard on many smaller trucks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Finally I saw it after all of you guys feedback -- it was soooOOOooo tiny i never even realized it. I'm hoping it would be "on your face" kinda bold indicator like "CHARGING" to clearly and undoubtly see it. Perhaps its old age eyes not helping either.. hahah
I can’t figure out what the little covered compartment is, just in front of the shift and cup holders. My phone doesn’t fit into it. The little cover suggests it’s for storage but for what? I can’t find it in the “owners manual”.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I can’t figure out what the little covered compartment is, just in front of the shift and cup holders. My phone doesn’t fit into it. The little cover suggests it’s for storage but for what? I can’t find it in the “owners manual”.
Ashtray - mostly for Europe - I can stand my phone up in it nicely, or you can put coin change in it!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ashtray - mostly for Europe - I can stand my phone up in it nicely, or you can put coin change in it!!
I wonder about it being an actual ashtray; all my long-ago life (with smoker parents), ashtrays lifted out for dumping or cleaning. This one doesn't seem to want to come out, unless I'm missing some tab/button somewhere.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I wonder about it being an actual ashtray; all my long-ago life (with smoker parents), ashtrays lifted out for dumping or cleaning. This one doesn't seem to want to come out, unless I'm missing some tab/button somewhere.
Has to be an after thought “design” - to ur point, it doesn’t come out...then it’s way too close to the charging port, the location just isn’t convenient even for an ashtray. Haven’t decided yet how to best use the space.....

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would like a “use breaks only mode” that has option for 30 - 60 - 180 seconds.

So that when my disc breaks get wet or rusty I can heat them up/clean them off without doing the aggressive breaking from 40-10 method.

Why? Because living in the city it is either not safe to break like that or looks special doing it. And special can lead to the police having a word.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I'm going to put a glasses/panel wipe in there.
That’s a great idea. Even though I place a protective screen on the infotainment, it smudges JUST as much so yes that would be a perfect place for a wipe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That’s a great idea. Even though I place a protective screen on the infotainment, it smudges JUST as much so yes that would be a perfect place for a wipe.
Where did you find your protective screen?? Did you need to trim or was it already the correct size??

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Where did you find your protective screen?? Did you need to trim or was it already the correct size??

On Amazon - Custom Fit - just peel and stick. I got it as a protective layer, no issue swiping works well, just that smudges are still visible that’s all. see below....

Screen Protector Compatible with 2017-2021 Volvo XC40 XC60 XC90 V90 S90,HD Clear,Anti Scratch,Multimedia Display Accessories Compatible with Volvo 9” Touchscreen

21 - 40 of 62 Posts