Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 21 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 3/21. June update. White aka ORKA.
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No doubt, majority of us agree it's been "Great Fun" thus far. But LISTEN up Volvo Marketing/Engineering/R&D......to further complete and hold on to your market share before Competitors come pouring in, continuous improvement is a GIVEN such as.......
1) On the phone charging pad: When the "charging is engaged", it's almost impossible to tell unless you literally bend down and squint your eye to try and catch the super small icon on your phone itself. Suggestion: When charging is engaged, display in BOLD LETTER on the main infotainment so there's zero guessing game of whether it's charging or not. It's a shame is you throw your phone there only to find out it hadn't been charging during a long drive!

2) When the Camera is engaged, show a FULL screen on the infotainment - there's almost minimal to no value for using utilizing half of the screen while the other visual of the "car" itself again, has minimal value

3) When the HomeLink is engaged, automatically also show the 360 degree on the Infotainment (Full screen, not half screen)

4) Incorporate a permanent "blind spot" mirror on the side mirrors as the Mirrors are quite large enough to incorporate. Lighted indicators are great, but doesn't hurt to have a secondary check point

5) "Allocate" or "Design" an ergonomic location for Sunglasses where it can be properly placed especially if within "dead spaces" vs. taking up space in on the arm rest compartment

6) Integrate dashcam camera for the Front and Back the minute the car starts moving. Keep the video feed for a week before erasing them. There are cameras to date to enable 360 so do enhance it ! Totally useful in case of accidents or fender bender

7) Like TSLA, Doggie mode !

8) The car has the functionality to "pre-heat" -- again, just like TSLA, automatically activate heating/cooling elements for a set period of time if the temperature gets to 100% or 20% (or whatever the threshold is) BUT de-activate it if battery is < 40% (or whatever is deemed as a conservative level)

9) This will be HEAVEN: Incorporate an internal vacuum cleaner ! There's more than enough space to allocate a small container - it's great to be abel to pick up dog hair, human dander etc

10) DO get the VOC function properly ASAP!

11).....12).....13)....ANYONE ?

·
Registered
125 Posts
1) On the phone charging pad: When the "charging is engaged", it's almost impossible to tell unless you literally bend down and squint your eye to try and catch the super small icon on your phone itself. Suggestion: When charging is engaged, display in BOLD LETTER on the main infotainment so there's zero guessing game of whether it's charging or not. It's a shame is you throw your phone there only to find out it hadn't been charging during a long drive!
There is an icon that shows up on the upper right on the center Volvo screen with (( )) around it. That means it is charging 'something' wirelessly.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
4. I have been suggesting that cars add the blind spot mirrors for 2 decades. First thing I do with any car is to stick them on. I have no idea why they are not standard.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
WRT (4), how about being able to continuously display the blind spot camera, like Honda does?
Would they not be a visual distraction having a moving screen out of the corner of your eye? I assumed they turned off for safety reasons

·
Registered
83 Posts
Maybe. My wife says it makes her nauseous. It doesn't bother me, so it could be an optional setting. Tesla allows the rear view camera to be on while driving, which is almost as good.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Also, if the mirrors are angled out properly, the blind spot can be eliminated, but that's another discussion.
I agree with you about the passenger side mirror. It covers well but the drivers side? I have not been able to get it to cover all possibilities.

Reactions: Maribo

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
238 Posts
Also, if the phone moves and lost the wireless charging, it gives warning message.
And a message or warning that your phone is still in the vehicle when you exit. Without a light in that area it’s easy to overlook your phone. My Audi A3 had either a voice warning or a warning chime when you opened the door with the phone still plugged in — I liked the voice warning.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
257 Posts
And a message or warning that your phone is still in the vehicle when you exit. Without a light in that area it’s easy to overlook your phone. My Audi A3 had either a voice warning or a warning chime when you opened the door with the phone still plugged in — I liked the voice warning.
That would be nice. Out of maybe 15-20 times I've gotten out of the car so far, only ONCE did I remember to grab my phone on the way out. Never really a problem other than having to go back and fetch it when I realize it's not on me.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
That would be awesome. I have done that so many times.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I know it’s been said many times but I would like the option of a dynamic range being shown. The fact I can get it by asking google is nice but it would save my families sanity if I could just look on the screen.

Also MORE graphs.
So much fun data we could have for those of us who get excited at excel tables and or graphs. I hear Tesla does the nerd data a lot better.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I would also like someone at Volvo to read this forum. Every single post and to respond here. This is a perfect forum (no pun) for them to share and to learn from.

Reactions: Cuelaw57

·
Registered
428 Posts
2) When the Camera is engaged, show a FULL screen on the infotainment - there's almost minimal to no value for using utilizing half of the screen while the other visual of the "car" itself again, has minimal value
Yes, please. Taking a cue from Nissan/Infiniti - the default screen should be 360 view on top half, rear cam on bottom half. That covers everything I usually want to see: 1) things immediately around my vehicle, and 2) a clear view of the whole route behind me when backing up.

EDIT: the top-half view of just the car itself has no value except showing which Park Assist sensors are triggered - and those are ALSO shown in the 360 view anyway!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is an icon that shows up on the upper right on the center Volvo screen with (( )) around it. That means it is charging 'something' wirelessly.
Never even noticed that ! THANK YOU ! I will look for it

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would also like someone at Volvo to read this forum. Every single post and to respond here. This is a perfect forum (no pun) for them to share and to learn from.
You might wish to check out Recharge Drivers Connect

As I mentioned in another thread, I got email with an invitation to sign up there. The gist seems to be a Volvo-facing forum where the moderator liaises with Volvo teams. It does imply "research" and that some of your information will be shared with partners, so if that bothers you, perhaps avoid it.

Whether it pans out this way remains to be seen.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now in all fairness, we already have one **** of a product. Being human nature, it’s “more and more”. Just like Amzn before we were all ok with getting packages in a week. Then it’s 4 days...then it’s next day and now “hhmm...same day would be nice..”. Hahahahhahah

·
Registered
257 Posts
The links take me to a login screen for which I don’t have credentials and don’t see how to sign-up.
Sorry, I'm not sure how to help that along; I was emailed a link that I believe was specific to my car or my account, but eventually it ends up in "Recharge Drivers Connect", which appears to be a blog/forum/survey site. I was asked a number of survey questions to get there, including one asking if I accepted terms that allowed them to use/share information for sake of research. I figured it was mostly for allowing Volvo to put a finger on users' experiences than marketing. <knock on wood>

The main part of the email looks like this

Steven,
At Volvo, we know the future of driving doesn't just revolve around technology, but also around people. That's why we're inviting you, a new XC40 Recharge Pure Electric driver, to join the exclusive Volvo Community, Electric Drivers Connect.

Now that you've put your hands on the wheel, we would like to hear how you are experiencing your new car. Lend your insight to innovation as we imagine what lies ahead.

By participating in the online community, you will get access to:
  • Surveys and feedback sessions that will inspire our product developers
  • The Lounge, a forum where you can discuss and share your ideas, tips, recommendations and driving experiences with other new XC40 Recharge drivers
  • Exclusive news about what we're working on and where we're headed
Become part of the futuristic vision of Volvo by filling out our quick qualification survey now.​

Followed by a url/button "Get Started" which led me to the site. As I said before, I think it's tied to my account, so I won't share that URL itself.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
No doubt, majority of us agree it's been "Great Fun" thus far. But LISTEN up Volvo Marketing/Engineering/R&D......to further complete and hold on to your market share before Competitors come pouring in, continuous improvement is a GIVEN such as.......

3) When the HomeLink is engaged, automatically also show the 360 degree on the Infotainment (Full screen, not half screen)

4) Incorporate a permanent "blind spot" mirror on the side mirrors as the Mirrors are quite large enough to incorporate. Lighted indicators are great, but doesn't hurt to have a secondary check point

5) "Allocate" or "Design" an ergonomic location for Sunglasses where it can be properly placed especially if within "dead spaces" vs. taking up space in on the arm rest compartment

6) Integrate dashcam camera for the Front and Back the minute the car starts moving. Keep the video feed for a week before erasing them. There are cameras to date to enable 360 so do enhance it ! Totally useful in case of accidents or fender bender

7) Like TSLA, Doggie mode !

8) The car has the functionality to "pre-heat" -- again, just like TSLA, automatically activate heating/cooling elements for a set period of time if the temperature gets to 100% or 20% (or whatever the threshold is) BUT de-activate it if battery is < 40% (or whatever is deemed as a conservative level)

9) This will be HEAVEN: Incorporate an internal vacuum cleaner ! There's more than enough space to allocate a small container - it's great to be abel to pick up dog hair, human dander etc

10) DO get the VOC function properly ASAP!

11).....12).....13)....ANYONE ?
What I used to like about my wife’s Acura is the 370 camera cam on by default when you hit reverse then stayed on in D until you got over 10mph. Would like something like that on the P8.

Put Auto hold in the menu somewhere without me needing to enable one pedal mode.

Put the odometer on the gauge cluster

add and miles until zero % range estimate, even gas cars do that.

Reactions: MMK
1 - 21 of 71 Posts