Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since getting the P8 I have noticed that I have had sharp skin pains in my hands (think paper cuts or splinters). I have not been able to visualize the injury (micro cut or plastic splinter?) nor at first could I work out where it is from.

Over time I saw a pattern. That being these happened after I used the car. On further reflection it might be a function of interacting with the hidey panel in the trunk/boot Which I have to remove to go between do not steal my gym bag (again) mode and dog friendly mode.

I wonder if is this a function of the recycled plastic? Does it have sharp micro fibers sticking out that are causing this? Is it just the hidey panel?

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this? Or maybe it is just me and my princess skin.

Cheers

• Wow
Reactions: improvius

·
Registered
95 Posts
Since getting the P8 I have noticed that I have had sharp skin pains in my hands (think paper cuts or splinters). I have not been able to visualize the injury (micro cut or plastic splinter?) nor at first could I work out where it is from.

Over time I saw a pattern. That being these happened after I used the car. On further reflection it might be a function of interacting with the hidey panel in the trunk/boot Which I have to remove to go between do not steal my gym bag (again) mode and dog friendly mode.

I wonder if is this a function of the recycled plastic? Does it have sharp micro fibers sticking out that are causing this? Is it just the hidey panel?

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this? Or maybe it is just me and my princess skin.

Cheers
Have you considered keeping your gym bag in the frunk? I can't imagine would-be thieves would think to open the front hood, would they?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like your describing extremely fine fiberglass splinters though I haven't experienced that from the car yet.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there anything one can do about them ?

I will try gloves when moving the hider.
Alas the frunk is already full of emergency aid gear.

I wonder if I can get a hider made it better material …

·
Registered
23 Posts
The hatch cover in the rear is to blame for sure. I got little fiberglass splinters in my 2019 XC40 as well. I keep a pair of gloves under the rear floor I put on if I ever need to handle the rear cover. The fiberglass splinters are the worst. You're not crazy, they're real.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you!
Started to think I was falling apart even more than usual!!!
Are there any after market higher quality rear covers? I looked but could not find any.
Cheers

·
Registered
83 Posts

Cheers
Just experienced this as well. It was pretty painful. It's only from the hider in the trunk and not the rest of the fabric areas. Did you ever contact Volvo about this? Not too great if touching the trunk gives splinters.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YeH I use rubber gloves when I remove it to convert car from life/gym mode to dog mode. Alas last time I did this I accidentally brushed forearms on it.

Anyone know of an aftermarket not fiberglass one? I would pay a few hundred for a non staby part :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
OK, I experienced this too, and wow: very sharp, stabbing pains soon as touching the trunk liner!! Happened a couple of weeks ago as I touched the liner material covering the trunk floor when moving the sliding floor panel into its upright position! It took at least a week to get over the awful pain. I will be contacting my dealer about this.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I experienced this too, and wow: very sharp, stabbing pains soon as touching the trunk liner!! Happened a couple of weeks ago as I touched the liner material covering the trunk floor when moving the sliding floor panel into its upright position! It took at least a week to get over the awful pain. I will be contacting my dealer about this.
Doh I did not contact my dealer. I stupidly thought it was just the way it is once we worked out what it is. I need to learn to complain more.

Please please let us know if they find a solution. Keeping gloves in the car just incsse I have to touch that … I wonder what it is like for children.

Really confused as to why any car would have such a nasty material as part of it whether it is a cheap or expensive. Being able to touch every surface inside your car without pain seems to be a very low bar like your car NOT spontaneously catching fire
Or electrocuting you :)

Cheers

Reactions: blitzswede

·
Registered
83 Posts
Doh I did not contact my dealer. I stupidly thought it was just the way it is once we worked out what it is. I need to learn to complain more.

Please please let us know if they find a solution. Keeping gloves in the car just incsse I have to touch that … I wonder what it is like for children.

Really confused as to why any car would have such a nasty material as part of it whether it is a cheap or expensive. Being able to touch every surface inside your car without pain seems to be a very low bar like your car NOT spontaneously catching fire
Or electrocuting you :)

Cheers
I mean it wouldn't normally be a huge issue but I'd like to be able to lay in the back at the beach or at a drive-in movie theater. I don't want to get shards of fiberglass material embedded in my skin. This is a potential health concern. We should all reach out to Volvo to see what they say. It only seems to happen with the trunk because I tried rubbing the felt in the front seat and it was fine.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And does it shed on to the bed my dog lays on ….

And yes we should reach out and I will.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
137 Posts
I've posted this in another thread, but this might be a possible solution: Canvasback cargo liner. My wife and I both have this in our BMWs and have been pretty happy with the product. It's good at keeping dog fur out of the actual carpet lining, too. Plus it looks like it retains the fold in the cover.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice just Wish they would make a hidey panel.
I want the fiberglass gone from the car.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Let's see what Volvo says but I just checked and the underside of the hidey panel is actually visually fiberglass. So the felt material might not actually be different and it is just the fiberglass underside. Maybe it is just covered in fiberglass remnants from the factory and a thorough vacuuming could be our solution? Poor quality either way here unfortunately.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Interesting that it has just happened. You have had the car since May. You will have to get the dealer to give you the truck mat that I sent you a picture and the part number of.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
141 Posts

In the case of the all-electric XC40 Recharge, there’s a big focus on sustainability, so the door insert is made from recycled plastic bottles.”

The increased use of such materials represents one pillar of Volvo’s drive for greater sustainability. For the door-insert material in the XC40 Recharge, 97 per cent comes from recycled PET bottles (colour forms the remaining 3 per cent). Recycled PET also features in the floor carpet, on the sides of the console and in the headlining, parcel shelf and pillars, while the seats contain recycled polyester.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Let's see what Volvo says but I just checked and the underside of the hidey panel is actually visually fiberglass. So the felt material might not actually be different and it is just the fiberglass underside. Maybe it is just covered in fiberglass remnants from the factory and a thorough vacuuming could be our solution? Poor quality either way here unfortunately.
I must make a point.

No one has confirmed there is fiberglass in the interior. Volvo does not list this as a component of the carpet.

I am not certain why comments about quality is stated as poor when there is no proof of the claims other than "visual inspection." Please provide how you are able to visually confirm fiberglass.

I realize that quality control is always an issue but I do not believe forums are open platforms for unsubstantiated criticism.

Those hand issues may be caused by a variety of factors. Synthetic fibers come in a variety of compositions.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts