Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread, someone commented that the backup camera defaults to the last-used view, but I'm not seeing that. I can manually choose the 360 view - but next time I put it in reverse it usually reverts to split-screen, showing the rear cam on the bottom + the (useless) picture of the car on top. Occasionally it will bring up the 360 view when reversing - but ONLY if one of the distance sensors is triggered.

Does anyone know a trick to get the 360 camera view to "stick"? Thanks!

My real preference would be split-screen showing BOTH 360 view AND the rear cam. That's the default view I was used to on my Infiniti FX that I traded in for the XC40. It lets you see both the immediate surroundings/clearances, plus a longer/wider view of what's behind the car. That static image of the car I find nearly useless. Unless I missed something, it just lights up a corner of the car if a distance sensor is triggered. But the 360 view also shows that information!

Also nitpicking on the 360 view: can we please get a better stitching algorithm in a future software upgrade? Do other Volvo models show the same extreme distortion as the XC40? Anything outside a couple feet away is badly warped and appears 20 feet tall. Obviously there will be some distortion when stitching together 4 separate cameras into a simulated overhead 360 view. But even my 10-year old Infiniti did a much better job at 360 view with less distortion.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I am shocked that is not the default viw when backing up. My wife's Acura that is the default view as you need to concentrate on getting into the spot , not fidgeting with the camera.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am not shocked.

The federal regulation prevents most 360 cameras by default.

When the Volvo is in 360 degree camera mode, the size dedicated to showing the rear camera view does not meet this requirement. So it must default to the rear camera view only.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I am not shocked.

The federal regulation prevents most 360 cameras by default.

When the Volvo is in 360 degree camera mode, the size dedicated to showing the rear camera view does not meet this requirement. So it must default to the rear camera view only.
Makes sense, but with the tall screen they can do backup up top and 360 bottom half.

·
Registered
546 Posts
360 view pops up when you are stopped and someone walks too close to your car triggering the sensors … which is kind of nifty

·
Registered
96 Posts
So I back in pretty much always. I’m just not a fan of pull in parking. I get the 360 view when I stop the car in the road in front of my driveway and put it in reverse. There is nothing but grass and my driveway (we don’t even have curbs).

I don’t think I ever changed a setting, but there must be one if we have different experiences. I’m wondering if the dealer did something and we‘re just benefitting from it. The test car was showing 360 by default, but they also had a very busy parking lot so that may have been obstacles activating it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm in Victoria, BC.
IN the US owners have a dealer/corporate program where they can get $1000 (US $) in accessories as compensation for frustration with the cars really not being 100% market ready - ie. VOC not functional yet, no siriusXM etc. has your dealer indicated that anything is available in that regard? here is a link to the US bulletin.
MC-10188883-9999.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I sent the dealer a copy of that letter two days ago and along with a list of issues that I've had so far. He said he would bring it up with his regional director and ask why the US gets this and not us. I am still waiting to hear back on that issue as well as a few other minor things.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I sent the dealer a copy of that letter two days ago and along with a list of issues that I've had so far. He said he would bring it up with his regional director and ask why the US gets this and not us. I am still waiting to hear back on that issue as well as a few other minor things.
Ok Thanks - keep us posted so then we can go after our dealer as well!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts