Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
VW launches over-the-air software update coming to its ID electric vehicle lineup

Wolfsburg made a media splash by announcing it is rolling out its OTA updates, first to ID.3s in the “First Movers Club” in July. (Is there a Volvo analog? The Loki Club?) According to VW VP of Passenger Cars, “This makes us the first high-volume manufacturer to regularly deliver extensive Over-the-Air Updates.”

Clearly, Tesla is the leader in OTA updating its vehicles. And it does OTA updates frequently. As the Electrek article points out, no automaker other than Tesla has figured out OTA updating. Porsche has recalled all its Taycans for a software update that couldn’t be pushed out OTA. VW has been plagued with software bugs in the ID.3 and ID.4.

VW mass sw updates

So, given that no car maker other than Tesla knows how to do updates OTA, should we cut Volvo some slack for just now slow rolling its OTA network?

Nope!

BTW, VW also announced it was casting off Bugatti to a new Croatian JV. I guess no EV Bugatti’s in the pipeline. I was mistaken. The new JV plans a $2.4 million all-electric hypercar called the Rimac Nevera, which the company says has about 1,900 horsepower. And some people complain about the price of an XC40 Recharge P8.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Interesting, thanks for posting. Seems that it'll take 2-3 years for most automakers to iron out OTA startup issues and develop a sustainable release cadence/strategy.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge, Sage Green
7 Posts
BTW, VW also announced it was casting off Bugatti to a new Croatian JV. I guess no EV Bugatti’s in the pipeline. I was mistaken. The new JV plans a $2.4 million all-electric hypercar called the Rimac Nevera, which the company says has about 1,900 horsepower. And some people complain about the price of an XC40 Recharge P8.
Transport Evolved made a great video on Mate Rimac, the Nevera, and how his EV tech will trickle down to the rest of the industry.

On a side note, fellow Geely brand Lotus is making a similarly priced and spec'd EV supercar called the Evija.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I remember when this news first broke out, the wording seemed to imply that its the first to do OTA through Mobile-Data transfer and not because VW thinks Tesla isn't a high volume manufacturer. Tesla requires Wifi.

Its a pretty big deal because not everyone has a garage or wifi access for their cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts