Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Polestar will offer paid performance update by OTA update. For $1,300 the owner get an additional 67 hp and 15 f-lbs torque.This update will be available early next year. Tesla is the leader in this model.

Waiting to see whether Volvo adopts this model. It. has already released an OTA update that increased range.The jury is still out whether the subscription for features model will take off.

SlashGear | Polestar 2 EV Reveals Paid download to Add Horsepower

· Registered
White P8 aka ORKA * OTA V2.0 * MFD 1/21 * 20" ride.
989 Posts
Perhaps I haven't sip enough coffee yet so a little grumpy.......SoooooOO....instead of delivering great news of the possibility to increase power/range through efficiency etc, Manufacturers are taking advantage of it by only extending such benefit IF you're willing to pay.....hhmmmm.....not liking the thought of it.....

· Registered
4,154 Posts
It is sad but polestar has made software upgrades to increase your cars performance, power, handling for a good while.

Only difference here is not having to go in.

Originally the chipping voided the warrantee but now at least it does not.

It does bite Volvo a bit as they boasted about how with ota the car would just get better and better …

I would though of been shocked if they gave this software update away for free. I just hope we get it :)

· Registered
989 Posts
I hope Volvo is not thinking of putting Buyers in a position to pay for EA upgrade later on....and worse still, that each new upgrade is only possible in sequence, in other words, you don't even have a choice to skip the upgrades!
Hopefully it has a sense to keep Customers happy for a while !

· Registered
549 Posts
This upgrade is old news in the Polestar forums. This "upgrade" has nothing to do with your software version (eg: 1.7 1.8 etc). This is basically the same as going in with your petrol-powered Volvo and getting the "Polestar Engineered" tuning, which might add more boost to add more horsepower. ECU tuners have been doing this (aftermarket) for years, and Volvo like others simply offered a "with warranty" version too. It is a brilliant marketing move.

For those who want to complain about the cost--- you have no legs to stand on. Now before you go off on your tangent explaining how Tesla offers power increases, you should be aware that is for the "Performance" trim version of the Tesla S/X/3/Y which are cars that go far faster than anything Volvo (or Polestar) offers. To that end, the "performance pack" on the Polestar offers better suspension and brakes, but it does not increase power.

But wait, there's more....

If you go into a Tesla store today and buy a non-Performance model 3/Y .. (in the case of the Model 3, you'll get a 4.2 second 0-60)-- then the moment you drive off the lot, you'll see a $2,000 upgrade listed in your Tesla App. This will shave about a half second off your 0-60 time, nothing more/less. And guess what? Not only does it cost nearly TWICE what Polestar wants (for nearly the same benefit)-- it also cannot be built into your loan/lease. It is only available AFTER purchase. So what Volvo/Polestar are doing is simply copying Tesla's legacy.

So yes, if you bought a 2018 Model 3 "Performance" there was a free upgrade that took your 0-60 time from 3.2 sec down to 3.1 seconds. But if you bought a LR AWD Non-Perf Model 3 ... then you've always had a $2k upgrade option that was only offered "After purchase" -- and that, my friends, is what Volvo/Polestar are trying to mimic here. And at less money. So IMO, its a brilliant move on their part. (and with or without the upgrade you'll still get software upgrades)

· Registered
989 Posts
btw @arijaycomet ..... I was at lunch yesterday....and parked right next to me was the Polestar, which for the first time, I got to admire it from all four corners....then I noticed across the parking lot....another one.....when return to parking after lunch, there was YET a 3rd one ! It HAS to be the Polestar lunch get-together ! 3 located at same parking lot, and time ? One is white, grey and the 3rd one (no pic) was a midnight blue - absolutely gorgeous color !
After seeing it in person, hands down, prefers it than Tesla (no offense, still a sexy car....just wayyyyyYY too many on the road these days.....)

Car Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

· Registered
514 Posts
@arijaycomet I completely agree with you on this. I gladly paid the $2k for the acceleration boost on my Model 3. The car was advertised with a specific 0-60 time/power and if I wanted more, than I needed to pay for it. Like you said it’s no different than the old days where you went to an aftermarket company and paid to tune your ECU for more hp/torque or put an aftermarket exhaust on, etc.

However, if Volvo said starting next year you need to pay a fee for your heated seats to work, then that’s a different ballgame. But they aren’t doing that.

Long story short, $1300 is a bargain for more go fast. Haha

· Registered
549 Posts
@MMK .... part of why I got my Polestar 2 was because Tesla vehicles are ubiquitous now as you said. They exist on every street corner and are just too popular. Which is not a bad thing per se, and I'm glad to see EV adoption going so well. But I prefer my cars to be more unique. BTW, mine is the same as that grey one in your photo (same spec/wheels/brakes/etc). I wish Polestar offered more fun colors (there is no red or blue like Volvo offers; so as muted as Volvo colors are, Polestar options are even worse).

· Registered
4,154 Posts

· Registered
4,154 Posts
150? Not sure which Recharge you have but yes, total kW for a P8 is 300.
Ugh brain fart. Was this thinking charge rate vs power out out. Right then I will get excited at the possibility of A 17% power boost :)

Thanks for the clarification.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
Anything more than the current 402hp will be too fast for my own good! BUT, it's always great to have OPTIONS !
I know right !!!! I also wonder whether 17% more will mean it spins out from start with Max accel. At the moment it has a small buffer.
Did you see the 670hp options coming!! Part want and part not want. Anyways happy with Margo with or without a new 17% hair do :)

Reactions: MMK

· Registered
117 Posts
When I spoke to the tech guy on my local dealer a couple weeks ago, I told him I read the Polestar would have this power up option OTA and asked if he thinks Volvo could make it available for the XC40 too, he told me that once Volvo tests it and think it is safe, they should make it available... 🙏

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.