Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mach E = Made in Mexico by Ford. hmm .think about it. It's a roundy station wagon more than a good quality SUV. It has loud electronics from the hood area, cheaper looking plastics with a moderately lower price?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Really? Good to know. All the car magazines seems to love it.
Honestly I’m getting sick of Audi dragging their feet
My buddy has one and love it, but he is not a car guy, more a mode of transportation. I wanted one until I drove it a few times when they came out. Did not like the seats nor ride quality. Also ground clearance was horrible, lower than the sedan I had just sold. Truthfully, it should be classified as s station wagon. I was impressed with Sync 4, but they have their fair share of bugs with the door locks and such. GM seems to be ready to have an onslaught of EVs starting in late 22 early 23. Lyric, Silverado, Blazer and Equinox as well as the Hummer. While the startups are interesting to watch GM probably has the most real world experience (outside of Tesla) that hopefully they can translate into these new vehicles. Once they fix the Bolt fires it is actually a great little entry EV for many people.

·
Registered
36 Posts
GM products...never again for me. Low quality all around. EV made by Chinese manufacturers would be on my list specially with their good build, lower cost and more electronics, but no administration would allow these to be sold in US otherwise GM would be gone.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
GM products...never again for me. Low quality all around. EV made by Chinese manufacturers would be on my list specially with their good build, lower cost and more electronics, but no administration would allow these to be sold in US otherwise GM would be gone.
Not sure I would say Chinese EVs would have better build quality. And agree, GM and Ford are typically lower quality materials as they are mainstream brands. As much as I like my XC40s I don't see that Volvo has their act together any better. Bolt owners overall seem very happy (factor out the LG battery issue).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not sure I would say Chinese EVs would have better build quality. And agree, GM and Ford are typically lower quality materials as they are mainstream brands. As much as I like my XC40s I don't see that Volvo has their act together any better. Bolt owners overall seem very happy (factor out the LG battery issue).
Didn't infer better build quality. But after living there for years and driving many cars built in China, these would be a very competitive product and in a few years could very well dominate the EV world.
As for Korean, forget those too cheapo. I will stick with a higher class unless Toyota proves differently with their BZ buzz.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Didn't infer better build quality. But after living there for years and driving many cars built in China, these would be a very competitive product and in a few years could very well dominate the EV world.
As for Korean, forget those too cheapo. I will stick with a higher class unless Toyota proves differently with their BZ buzz.

Very interested ot see Toyota/Lexus since they hopefully have been working diligently the last few years on their EV platform learning from their hybrids.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My buddy has one and love it, but he is not a car guy, more a mode of transportation. I wanted one until I drove it a few times when they came out. Did not like the seats nor ride quality. Also ground clearance was horrible, lower than the sedan I had just sold. Truthfully, it should be classified as s station wagon. I was impressed with Sync 4, but they have their fair share of bugs with the door locks and such. GM seems to be ready to have an onslaught of EVs starting in late 22 early 23. Lyric, Silverado, Blazer and Equinox as well as the Hummer. While the startups are interesting to watch GM probably has the most real world experience (outside of Tesla) that hopefully they can translate into these new vehicles. Once they fix the Bolt fires it is actually a great little entry EV for many people.

Lyric was interesting but it’s pretty big, like the size of a full etron or xt6. For me the xc40 is the perfect size. Good for me around town but also can transport two young kids if needed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Very interested ot see Toyota/Lexus since they hopefully have been working diligently the last few years on their EV platform learning from their hybrids.

I don’t trust Toyota to make enough of these to sell. Their debut numbers are always super low; just look at what’s going on with the rav4 prime. Also I think it’s kind of an ugly car

·
Registered
36 Posts
Lyric was interesting but it’s pretty big, like the size of a full etron or xt6. For me the xc40 is the perfect size. Good for me around town but also can transport two young kids if needed
XC40 rear doors don't open very far...is that a safety design. About the size of a CRV actually

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I would expect a XT4 sized EV next from Cadillac , I think the issue GM is going to face is getting all these models manufactured anywhere near enough to meet demand. I think GM would benefit most form a online ordering process since they will have so many offerings it will help them make sure the limited resources go to the right brand/models across their lineup. The need to limit options and consolidate around some trim level and then shorten the order to delivery time and that would be good. Then need to get down to 6 weeks (8 max) from order to delivery if the online model is going to work.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I don’t trust Toyota to make enough of these to sell. Their debut numbers are always super low; just look at what’s going on with the rav4 prime. Also I think it’s kind of an ugly car
I think that is a problem they all face. I think with Covid and the unexpected demand for EVs ramping up all brands are going to struggle to meet demand. I think there is hidden demand for EVs in the US as shown by how quickly new models are selling out and manufacturers are looking to add new capacity.

I am glad my C40 is coming soon as even if I wanted to wait the odds of getting one of the up coming EVs in any reasonable time is slim. Curious to see how fast Audi sells out the full year of Q4s. Ford and GM will not be able to make F150 and Silverado's fast enough.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts