Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm considering ordering the 2022 XC40 Recharge EV version. Our local dealer is supposed to have a test vehicle in next week so we can go for a spin. Assuming we fit in and like what we see, we'll order one through the website. I'm curious about order-to-delivery times for the US east coast. What was your experience? And, did you work with Volvo's electrician contractor for the garage charger? How did that go?

Thanks!

George
Lake Frederick, VA

· Registered
598 Posts
Hello,

And, did you work with Volvo's electrician contractor for the garage charger? How did that go?

Thanks!

George
Lake Frederick, VA
In answer to your questions as captured above, the following might be helpful.
Once I placed my order for a C40 on November 8, it was time to begin the home charging station setup. The actions below are the steps I have taken as of 11/25/21.
  1. Researched charging stations via Google and settled on a ChargePoint with the NEMA 14-50 plug.
  2. Determined a place to install the charger within my garage. Knowing the length of the cable and the location of the charging plug on the C40, I settled on a spot for the ChargePoint. The spot also will allow for charging the C40 when parked in the driveway as well as in the garage.
  3. One advantage to the ChargePoint is having WiFi enabled. With that characteristic in mind, I began testing WiFi receptivity within my garage.
  4. I currently have a virtual private network (VPN) utilizing an EERO mesh network. With a 110V plug located next to my ChargePoint location, I installed a beacon range extender to improve coverage. My goal is to utilize the WiFi to control times when the charger will send electricity to the C40.
  5. With the location established I utilized the Qmerit install guide as outlined on the Volvo website to aid in locating an installer. The Qmerit application is very thorough in aiding the user to establish a detailed proposal for the installer. It is best to utilize a smart phone so you can easily pull in the required photos. It is important to note a fee is charged as part of the proposal.
  6. Once the Qmerit install guide is finished and submitted, you receive back a tentative cost figure.
  7. Qmerit has an installation partner for your location and sends your request to them. In my case the partner stated they would need to create a custom proposal after visiting my home and would be in touch.
  8. Five days later, the partner contacted me to determine if I was still interested. By that time, I had obtained a proposal from a more local electrician with prior install experience. In my case the cost outlined in the Qmerit proposal was helpful in determining if my local proposal was reasonable. I derived no additional value from utilizing Qmerit.
  9. At this point, the install is scheduled for December 13, and I am optimistic it will go well. Update to follow.

· Registered
829 Posts
I also currently use Chargepoint's charge scheduling feature. But with the 1.8 software release which includes charge scheduling, it's not critical any more. Last month, out of curiosity, I used the Chargepoint's charge monitoring to see how much it had cost me to charge over the preceding month. Other than those two past needs, seems that wifi is nice but far from essential.

· Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,171 Posts
Update on my ordering:

I placed a custom build order on Thursday last week (12/2) by somewhat "gaming" the XC40 availability page* to bring up the ordering options. I received an automated reservation number, but as of this afternoon I still had not heard back from Volvo CC to confirm my order. So I just emailed VCC and asked them if there was problem:

I placed this reservation order almost a week ago, but I haven't heard anything back regarding the status. Reservation number is US-xxxxxxx. I just wanted to check and see if there was any problem with the reservation, or if things are just generally delayed right now.
Well, less than two hours later VCC emailed me back to confirm my build. It is tracked for production. I will add an update when I get a delivery date estimate.

The takeaway is that custom build for MY2022 for US buyers may still be available, but it's probably going to close very soon. The UK site already has 2023/refresh build options and is estimating deliveries for August or September. If you want one, I suggest trying to order ASAP.

UPDATE on my ETA from VCC:

Typically, it can take up to 4 to 5 months from the date of order until delivery. However, I have seen a number of customers receive their XC40s in less time than that.

*To game the website to get the "hidden" custom ordering options, you can either change the filter until you select an unavailable combination of options, or directly modify the URL with an impossible or unavailable color and/or price option. For example: Don Beyer Volvo Cars Winchester Dealership Winchester | Volvo Car USA

· Registered
514 Posts
I put a deposit on an XC40 that was almost at port, so it said 4 weeks for delivery. That was 11/15 and it’s been radio silent from the dealer for about the last week, so I think it should be there this week. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I know the purchase bonus was $1000 when I requested the vehicle and it’s $500 now, so we’ll see how that goes when the vehicle actually comes in.

· Registered
'22 C40 Fjord Blue in & out
323 Posts
*To game the website to get the "hidden" custom ordering options, you can either change the filter until you select an unavailable combination of options, or directly modify the URL with an impossible or unavailable color and/or price option. For example: Don Beyer Volvo Cars Winchester Dealership Winchester | Volvo Car USA
It looks like you can also just choose "Build your Volvo" from the main menu in the upper-right corner of the site, does this take you to the same car configurator page?

· Registered
2,537 Posts
The day a XC40 I wanted showed on the website for my region I put $500 deposit the it was 1-2 days before the delay processed that and had the car rated to them. It was almost 2.5 weeks after that before car hit dealership. I ordered my C40 on October 9 and Volvo confirmed it on October 12. I was originally told build in early December, but they somehow screwed the color up and had to reassign another car slotted for early January to me. So right now if they stay on track I will see it in February.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In answer to your questions as captured above, the following might be helpful.
Once I placed my order for a C40 on November 8, it was time to begin the home charging station setup. The actions below are the steps I have taken as of 11/25/21.
  1. Researched charging stations via Google and settled on a ChargePoint with the NEMA 14-50 plug.
  2. Determined a place to install the charger within my garage. Knowing the length of the cable and the location of the charging plug on the C40, I settled on a spot for the ChargePoint. The spot also will allow for charging the C40 when parked in the driveway as well as in the garage.
  3. One advantage to the ChargePoint is having WiFi enabled. With that characteristic in mind, I began testing WiFi receptivity within my garage.
  4. I currently have a virtual private network (VPN) utilizing an EERO mesh network. With a 110V plug located next to my ChargePoint location, I installed a beacon range extender to improve coverage. My goal is to utilize the WiFi to control times when the charger will send electricity to the C40.
  5. With the location established I utilized the Qmerit install guide as outlined on the Volvo website to aid in locating an installer. The Qmerit application is very thorough in aiding the user to establish a detailed proposal for the installer. It is best to utilize a smart phone so you can easily pull in the required photos. It is important to note a fee is charged as part of the proposal.
  6. Once the Qmerit install guide is finished and submitted, you receive back a tentative cost figure.
  7. Qmerit has an installation partner for your location and sends your request to them. In my case the partner stated they would need to create a custom proposal after visiting my home and would be in touch.
  8. Five days later, the partner contacted me to determine if I was still interested. By that time, I had obtained a proposal from a more local electrician with prior install experience. In my case the cost outlined in the Qmerit proposal was helpful in determining if my local proposal was reasonable. I derived no additional value from utilizing Qmerit.
  9. At this point, the install is scheduled for December 13, and I am optimistic it will go well. Update to follow.
Thank you for this detailed and valuable information!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered the XC40 Recharge yesterday and heard from Volvo customer service to confirm within a couple of hours. I've ordered the ChargePoint Flex Charger from Amazon. Supposedly it will arrive by 12/18. We'll go from there!

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge
416 Posts
I ordered the XC40 Recharge yesterday and heard from Volvo customer service to confirm within a couple of hours. I've ordered the ChargePoint Flex Charger from Amazon. Supposedly it will arrive by 12/18. We'll go from there!
Check your local electric company, they might have some rebates/charger install deals.

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Ultimate | Thunder Grey
55 Posts
In my recent experience QMerit was 4 times as expensive as a local electrical contractor. Like others I purchased the ChargePoint from Amazon and the contractor had the install done in 1.5 hours. The install experience and post install use of the ChargePoint have been top notch. We ordered a Recharge Ultimate that noted a 10 day delivery to our local Volvo dealer. Actual delivery time was 15 days for reference. Overall a great order and delivery experience.

· Registered
598 Posts
Thank you for this detailed and valuable information!
ChargePoint Home Flex station installed and tested. Good-to-go!

One additional key point. After careful review of the installation guide, the decision was made to go with the hardwired installation. Since I live in a thunderstorm prone area, a GFCI breaker would have been required if the plug-in option were used. ChargePoint does not recommend using a GFCI breaker as the Home Flex has charging circuit interrupting device (CCID) protection. Using a GFCI breaker in the panel can cause nuisance tripping. Therefore, the hardwired option eliminated the GFCI breaker.

Now all I need is the C40. :giggle:

Electrical wiring Cable Audio equipment Gas Electricity

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.