Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an XC60 T8 on lease. Got a message from the dealer they would like to buy it. Went in, test drove a XC40 Recharge and loved it. Said I would be happy to switch.
The dealer said the only way to get the configuration I wanted (Ultimate) was to put in an order online. I did, on 9/18. Then on 9/20 it switched to Design submitted.
It's been stuck on Order confirmation since then, despite the website saying "We will contact you within 1-2 business days to confirm your order and place your car in line for production."
I tried calling the phone number on the order twice, nothing but a nice support rep saying "I'll have to open a ticket."
Dealer seems confused.
Is this... normal? Anyone have any background info on how this is supposed to work? The car I test drove at the dealer is the exact color & configuration I want. I'd be happy to take that one but per the dealer it's owned by Volvo corporate as a test drive unit.
Any thoughts?
Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
35 Posts
I told my dealer what I wanted. They did laced the order with my information. It was quite the headache for them. They reported to their representative how this is not satisfactory (not the luxury/Volvo experience they want to sell) actually got their new demo car a day or two before my "ordered" car came in. They took care of me and I appreciate it. They dealt with the headache if the new ordering system. Good luck, maybe your dealer can help.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have an XC60 T8 on lease. Got a message from the dealer they would like to buy it. Went in, test drove a XC40 Recharge and loved it. Said I would be happy to switch.
The dealer said the only way to get the configuration I wanted (Ultimate) was to put in an order online. I did, on 9/18. Then on 9/20 it switched to Design submitted.
It's been stuck on Order confirmation since then, despite the website saying "We will contact you within 1-2 business days to confirm your order and place your car in line for production."
I tried calling the phone number on the order twice, nothing but a nice support rep saying "I'll have to open a ticket."
Dealer seems confused.
Is this... normal? Anyone have any background info on how this is supposed to work? The car I test drove at the dealer is the exact color & configuration I want. I'd be happy to take that one but per the dealer it's owned by Volvo corporate as a test drive unit.
Any thoughts?
View attachment 1353
I am not responding to your question but making a suggestion.

I decided to buy my XC60 T8 at the end of the lease because the market value was a few thousand $ more. I got an offer of $4000 more than the end of lease purchase amount in the lease. The used car market is even more expensive now, and you could easily get a few thousand dollars more for your XC60 T8 if you bought it back from Volvo Financial Services and sold it yourself. Yes, some work is involved, but it may be worth it—just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
170 Posts
@Wiverson — the way this is meant to work is a rep from Volvo calls you to reaffirm that the configuration you’ve made is 100% for sure what you want. Basically, it Is your last chance to change something (color, options, etc). Because, after that, the design gets submitted to production. Then, the status changes, and the car will show approved config, headed to production. It will probably still be a few weeks (or more) b4 car is produced, and then in transit.

In my case, I got my call one business day later on this C40 (twin to XC40) but then oddly again about 3 days later. Even though the first call/person submitted design, some hiccup internally didn’t show that on their end even tho my web link had showed it was already approved. This was a month ago, and for a few reasons, I have subsequently cancelled that order. Now when I login, it shows order cancelled/refunded (my deposit).

Anyhow, the phone number listed on that page SHOULD work, but during normal weekday hours only from what I can discern (and not sure which USA time zone, EST?). Give them a try to call mid-day one week day and see if that works? My understanding is your car wont enter production if you dont affirm the config, so def make sure that happens. This is Volvo’s attempt to move car buying/ordering online and more Tesla-like.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not responding to your question but making a suggestion.

I decided to buy my XC60 T8 at the end of the lease because the market value was a few thousand $ more. I got an offer of $4000 more than the end of lease purchase amount in the lease. The used car market is even more expensive now, and you could easily get a few thousand dollars more for your XC60 T8 if you bought it back from Volvo Financial Services and sold it yourself. Yes, some work is involved, but it may be worth it—just my 2 cents.
Hey Seattleman, hope all is well from Kirklandman... ;)

AFAIK there's a tax break for sales tax on a trade in, so when I did the math it kind of seemed like a wash. Technically I'm on the lease until June 2022, but everything is a mess right now RE: cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Wiverson — the way this is meant to work is a rep from Volvo calls you to reaffirm that the configuration you’ve made is 100% for sure what you want. Basically, it Is your last chance to change something (color, options, etc). Because, after that, the design gets submitted to production. Then, the status changes, and the car will show approved config, headed to production. It will probably still be a few weeks (or more) b4 car is produced, and then in transit.
Was the call to confirm from Volvo corporate or the dealer?

Give them a try to call mid-day one week day and see if that works? My understanding is your car wont enter production if you dont affirm the config, so def make sure that happens.
Yeah, I called at around 11am on Thursday each week. A rep answered the phone each time very quickly, but both times they said that they would have to escalate and someone would get back to me. The first time I got nothing, the second time I got an email saying that it had been escalated again and someone would get back to me.

This is Volvo’s attempt to move car buying/ordering online and more Tesla-like.
From a high level, I'm all in. Let me just place the order online, then give me updates, etc. It makes me a bit nervous placing a $500 deposit and then it just... sits... in corporate limbo.

Exciting times for the car industry, I guess. 😅

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sorry you've had trouble connecting with someone @Wiverson -- my call came from corporate. As a matter of fact, my dealership only became aware of my deposit because I told them. When I cancelled the order, I called that same phone number (corporate) and got my refund processed in a timely fashion. Hopefully you're able to reach someone who can help you out soon!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to follow up - I placed the reservation on 9/18/2021. Design submitted 9/20. The website said it would take 1-2 days to flip to order confirmed. After calling ~once/week to both the dealer and the corporate phone number, finally flipped to order confirmed on 10/8.

In the emails and on the website it seems corporate (roughly) estimates that the car will be available in five months, which roughly works out to March 2022. That's fine by me as my lease is up in June 2022.

Corporate mentioned in an email that they have been very surprised by the demand. Given the number of locales that are going to ban new ICE cars in ~2030, I personally wouldn't want to buy an ICE and then have the value fall off a cliff in, say, five years. My guess is that as EVs become cheaper than ICE over the next few years ICE will fall off pretty dramatically.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup. IIRC Model Y is saying delivery in April, not sure but I think Mach e is similar. No regular e trons anywhere in my area (a few of the $100k supercars are available).

Crazy days. It's why I test drove the Recharge and decided to put an order in even though my lease isn't up until June. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yup. IIRC Model Y is saying delivery in April, not sure but I think Mach e is similar. No regular e trons anywhere in my area (a few of the $100k supercars are available).

Crazy days. It's why I test drove the Recharge and decided to put an order in even though my lease isn't up until June. 🤷‍♂️
You didn't want to order one of the readily available ones? Was it a custom order? I got my 2022 recharge plus in seven days.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, first off they don't have any of 'em regardless. Second, I want an Ultimate, not a Pure. Want the heat pump, adaptive cruise, HK sound system, other stuff. Once I'm in for all that (less than $3k more) if I order I can get the color I want as well. First time in over a decade I actually am getting the color I want (denim blue) instead of the variant of gray/black that happens to be on the dealer lot, lol.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Oh, first off they don't have any of 'em regardless. Second, I want an Ultimate, not a Pure. Want the heat pump, adaptive cruise, HK sound system, other stuff. Once I'm in for all that (less than $3k more) if I order I can get the color I want as well. First time in over a decade I actually am getting the color I want (denim blue) instead of the variant of gray/black that happens to be on the dealer lot, lol.
Oh are you not in the US? Here in California I could order whatever combo and color I wanted with only a 10 day wait. Only thing I couldn't get in California was the 19" wheels.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We ordered our 2022 ultimate from the pre-built stock the first week that they were available. Took delivery on September 20th. Actually got the brand new demo at our local dealer once the order was accepted, so they could use our order to replace their demo. My wife detests white cars, of which they still have one in stock from 2021. We got the loaded denim blue that she wanted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh are you not in the US? Here in California I could order whatever combo and color I wanted with only a 10 day wait. Only thing I couldn't get in California was the 19" wheels.
I'm in Washington state, just outside Seattle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We ordered our 2022 ultimate from the pre-built stock the first week that they were available. Took delivery on September 20th. Actually got the brand new demo at our local dealer once the order was accepted, so they could use our order to replace their demo. My wife detests white cars, of which they still have one in stock from 2021. We got the loaded denim blue that she wanted.
When did you order? I get the sense there was a big wave of early orders that came in quick, but per corporate it's been a lot more popular than they expected and they are running way behind.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My dealer actually submitted it. We are in agreement that the customer service experience that they typically provide is far better that the direct order provides. They said that they would submit the order and took my CC on Sept 10. I think that they had to try a few times, with a code being sent from Volvo cars...expiring, sending again... They finally got it to work on Thursday September 16. This is our second Volvo from them. Super low pressure sales compared to the local Ford dealership when I checked out a mach-e. That felt like sharks circling their next meal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
When did you order? I get the sense there was a big wave of early orders that came in quick, but per corporate it's been a lot more popular than they expected and they are running way behind.
Oh wow I just checked and they're all sold out except a crystal white plus here. I ordered 9/16 and every option was available.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
124 Posts
Here in NY the allocation storage lots are empty right now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts