Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I ordered a R design Pro in mid June, to be delivered early September.

I have noticed that they keep removing spec from the car. The latest worries me a little, the Orange Safety key.

Has anyone got one?
Does the key function EXACTLY like the normal key? Particularly interested to hear if it remembers the owners seat position like the standard key. My wife and I had a Volvo S40 and loved the fact that we had our own keys, which when used, moved the seat, altered temperature and even the media to what the driver had set.
Also, has anyone changed the plastic bits as I think it is very cheap looking for such a premium car. if anyone has any pics of the orange key and any of them with different sides fitted I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
FWIW, here in the US, we have two fobs. Both are black or very dark gray. Maybe the color thing is a UK "feature"? Also, unless I've missed something in scouting out the XC40, I've never heard about a Pro. Any idea about the differences between "only" an RDesign and an RDesign Pro?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FWIW, here in the US, we have two fobs. Both are black or very dark gray. Maybe the color thing is a UK "feature"? Also, unless I've missed something in scouting out the XC40, I've never heard about a Pro. Any idea about the differences between "only" an RDesign and an RDesign Pro?
Think the key issues is worldwide from 2021 models on.

The R design comes in 2 flavours in the UK, Standard and Pro, Pro gets 20"alloys, heated seats, heated windscreen, active headlights etc. It might be that the US ones are all "pro" and you dont have the standard there?

·
Registered
100 Posts
There is no "Pro" model offered, only changes in rims, exterior trim, spoiler, packages (heated seats and wheel - Advanced: Pilot Assist, headlights, 360 view, headlight washers), and options (Polestar, mats, mud flaps, etc.). Here's the basic RDesign compliment for the '20
Compass
HomeLink (c)
Inductive Charging For Smart Phone
Leather Remote Key
Keyless Entry with remote tag
Park Assist Front and Rear
Dual Integrated Tail Pipes
Sport Chassis
19" 5-Double Spoke Matt Black Diamond-cut Alloy wheel
Auto Dimming Interior Mirror
Black Rear View Mirror Caps
Glossy black Skid Plates, Front & Rear
Handle side door body color, w/o damper, keyless and illumination
High gloss black decor side windows
R-Design Grille
Retractable Rear View Mirrors
Roof rails integrated Glossy black
Solid black (019) exterior roof colour
Automatic Climate Control + CleanZone
Charcoal Headliner
Cutting Edge Decor inlays
Foldable floor hatches with grocery bag holder
Gear Shift Paddles
Gearlever knob, leather R
Interior illumination high level
Panoramic Roof w/ Power Sunshade
Mechanical Cushion Extension, Front Seats
Pedal R-design
Power Front Passenger Seat w/ Memory
R-Design Leather / Nubuck Upholstery
R-design steering wheel with perforated leather, 3 spoke
Rear Scuff Plate
Storage Box Under Drive Seat Cushion
Blind Spot Information System & Cross Traffic Alert W/ Autobrake
Rear Collision Mitigation Support

·
Registered
2020 Volvo XC40 T5 R-Design
44 Posts
Hi,

I have noticed that they keep removing spec from the car. The latest worries me a little, the Orange Safety key.

Has anyone got one?
Does the key function EXACTLY like the normal key? Particularly interested to hear if it remembers the owners seat position like the standard key. My wife and I had a Volvo S40 and loved the fact that we had our own keys, which when used, moved the seat, altered temperature and even the media to what the driver had set.
Also, has anyone changed the plastic bits as I think it is very cheap looking for such a premium car. if anyone has any pics of the orange key and any of them with different sides fitted I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Mine came with 4 keys. Was surprised when i was handed 4 keys but i'll never use them as im single. Crying :cry:

IMG_1582.jpg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Doh!!!! I totally forgot three of these rascals. The two black keys have full authority (unlocks everything), the small black whatsit is the "sports" key - waterproof and unlocks the car (may allow starting??), and (guessing...) the orange key has limited authority (locked glove box IIRC). There's a fifth key without a fob. IIRC that's the valet key. BTW there are metal keys inside the black fobs. Handy if the battery goes flat.

Save Key #2 for the hottie who'll see you in this hot car and develop a serious case of lust. Woohoo!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

Has anyone got one?

Thanks in advance.
MarminUK, There has been some real confusion over this since Volvo announced it, with Volvo themselves providing conflicting statements.
Some MY21 owners were advised that the Care Key had full functionality but these owners could not get the key to save a setting.
Volvo have finally confirmed that the Care Key does NOT have any driver settings functionality and are offering owners an additional key for £75.
Volvo’s statement is as follows;

"On further investigation, it appears the orange Care Key is not programmable. This is how all new cars will now be supplied with one programmable key and one Care Key.
To recognise and respond to customers concerns, Volvo have reduced the price of remote key fobs to £75 (including VAT and labour). Please note this key will not include the emergency key blade."

Pretty poor imo. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I spoke to my dealer, where I ordered. He was very good, said he had tested an XC60 as that was the only one they had in that had electric seats and an orange key. He said it worked, but either way, I would have 2 working keys, even if they had to buy me one.

Still think Volvo have lost the plot with all the spec downgrades on such a high priced car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh well done. I’m going to have to try this but I don’t hold up much hope!
Mine’s due to be delivered in September. I was pretty miffed tbh as I spoke to my salesman about the key and also how good the exhaust trim looked and that they actually had the exhausts in them. He said nothing about either. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The exhausts miffed me, but the key is the worst for me. We specifically went for the Pro because of the convenience of the seats moving. We had it on our old S40 and it really worked for us due to our height difference.
They have even removed the parking ticket clip! Must've saved them pennies!

·
Registered
5 Posts
👍👍
I believe as a consolation prize they’ve added something on the sun visor but I’m not sure the traffic wardens will notice as easy. I imagine there’ll be lots of parking fines issued as tickets will either not be noticed or ignored as they were upside down and illegible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Has anyone got one?

Thanks in advance.
in the us the the safety key and all 21 models don’t exceed 112mph

·
Registered
1 Posts
MarminUK, There has been some real confusion over this since Volvo announced it, with Volvo themselves providing conflicting statements.
Some MY21 owners were advised that the Care Key had full functionality but these owners could not get the key to save a setting.
Volvo have finally confirmed that the Care Key does NOT have any driver settings functionality and are offering owners an additional key for £75.
Volvo’s statement is as follows;

"On further investigation, it appears the orange Care Key is not programmable. This is how all new cars will now be supplied with one programmable key and one Care Key.
To recognise and respond to customers concerns, Volvo have reduced the price of remote key fobs to £75 (including VAT and labour). Please note this key will not include the emergency key blade."

Pretty poor imo. 🤷🏻‍♂️
We just received our XC40 with one black key and one orange key. I read your post about Volvo offering a second programmable key for £75. Can you let me know where you got this information from? Do you have anything official from Volvo? Would be greatly appreciated as my dealer wants to charge me €400 for a new key and he said if I can prove the £75 then he could potentially offer it to us. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts