Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up by Recharge three weeks ago (I love it so far). At delivery I was told that keeping the charge between 20% and 80% was optimal for extending the life of the batteries. I drive 10 - 60 miles a day. I've only dipped into the low 60% range once before recharging to 80% over night. Would it be better to let the batteries discharge into the 20% - 30% range before recharging or is plugging it in every day and essentially keeping it in the 60% - 80% OK? My goal is to extend battery life and secondarily to have as much range each day as possible.

Are these twin goals doable with my current driving/charging?

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
192 Posts

To make the most of the battery life in a pure electric car, we recommend AC charging the battery up to 90 per cent capacity for typical daily driving, and preferably not letting the charge fall below 20 per cent.
I read somewhere else that Volvo changed recommendation from 80% to 90% since preheating or precooling battery only happens if 90% or above is selected

·
Registered
130 Posts

To make the most of the battery life in a pure electric car, we recommend AC charging the battery up to 90 per cent capacity for typical daily driving, and preferably not letting the charge fall below 20 per cent.
I read somewhere else that Volvo changed recommendation from 80% to 90% since preheating or precooling battery only happens if 90% or above is selected
I mentioned this on another thread - Nissan dealers near me have free DC charging (CCS and CHADEMO).

I was down to 31% and it charged up to 83% in 1 hour, at over 400V, getting 110mi/hr in charging. For some reason, it shut down due to internal error (overheating of the battery maybe?), but it's awesomely fast.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Volvo recommends 90% max charge under normal use, so that is what I do. I usually recharge once it gets down around 50%, sometimes 60%. I usually charge Friday night for the weekend then sometimes Sunday or Monday night depending on how much I used it over weekend. My plan is never let it go below 20% unless I have to.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I mentioned this on another thread - Nissan dealers near me have free DC charging (CCS and CHADEMO).

I was down to 31% and it charged up to 83% in 1 hour, at over 400V, getting 110mi/hr in charging. For some reason, it shut down due to internal error (overheating of the battery maybe?), but it's awesomely fast.
Are they open for the free 24/7 do they talk to you for the hour?

I charge to 90 when ever time (it’s set to 90).I have been down to 15 once and I know that with long distance traveling sometimes you will have to go to 10% with a 55 mph speed cap.

The lower you go the faster it charges. Got perfect speed at 15% so for long journeys arriving at stations with 10-15% speeds up the journey.

Longevity wise I had read that fast chargers are bad but that is all I use as I do not have a charger at home (cannot until we move).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts