Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Opening Tailgate With Foot Movement

19K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  nbg 
#1 ·
Is anyone having trouble getting the tailgate to consistently open using the foot-kick movement? Our success rate is less than 20%. Note that we have the trailer hitch installed - I'm not sure if that somehow plays into it. We've tried everything that we can think of - slow kicks, fast kicks, kicks in a sweeping motion, kicks closer to and farther from the bumper sensors. Nothing seems to consistently work. The key fob is always in one of our pockets. We haven't checked with the dealer yet but that is our next step if no one here has a suggestion.

#2 ·
So we tried it again last night and think we've found the sweet spot. The sensors seem to require the leg/foot kick action between the right side of the left exhaust port and the left-most side of the rear diffuser. It takes some practice, or at least it did for us. :smile

#3 ·
So we tried it again last night and think we've found the sweet spot. The sensors seem to require the leg/foot kick action between the right side of the left exhaust port and the left-most side of the rear diffuser. It takes some practice, or at least it did for us.
That sounds right, the guide shows a diagram of the the sensor that is left of center under the bumper to the right of the exhaust pipe.

#5 ·
We struggle with the foot action tailgate. But I have come to the conclusion that it is the proximity of the key fob that is key. Hold the key fob close to the car and wave your foot under the sweet spot and it'll open every time (Or that seems to be what I have found). What's frustrating is to be in a parking lot with your arms full of bags, etc. that are in front of your body (blocking the key fob) and you want that rear gate to open and it doesn't. :|

#20 ·
Our dealer also taught us to use a side-to-side motion, which the manual doesn't mention at all. From left-to-right to open, from right-to-left to close. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but it seems to work for us.

The standard kick motion, as described in the manual, also works to open, but it's less effective than left-to-right, as far as I can tell.

#15 ·
Hands Free Tail Gate

My XC 40 Inscription model hands free tail gate also didn't work no matter what I or the salesman did. Get this... When I brought the car in for them to investigate I was informed that the factory put on the WRONG bumper. So hands free sensor not there. I think they put a bumper from another model on it. I was shocked at this poor quality control. Waiting now for the dealer to get the correct bumper in. It is taking a while for them to locate the parts. Anyone else have this sad story.

#17 ·
Like the voice control, this is essentially a useless feature. After 3 months, I'm still not sure I've ever gotten it to respond on the first attempt. Sometimes even after many attempts it just won't open. So now I don't even bother. Besides just being outright frustrating, you look like a fool standing there holding grocery bags and waving your leg under your car. ?

#19 ·
Reviving this old post. Discovered something today. The kicking motion will also CLOSE THE HATCH. Be careful when standing at the rear of the car with the hatch open. If you slide your foot under the car at the “sweet spot” unintentionally, the hatch will hit you in the head. OUCH!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.