Volvo XC40 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 83 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 ·
Just picked it up this afternoon. We weren’t expecting it until Monday, but got a call asking if we could make it in for the last delivery of today. Super excited to play with it, but also we are in a snow storm so I pretty much parked it and ran inside. Charging light turned green though, so that’s promising.
Congratulations! What color? Did the salesperson take the time to go over what to expect in terms of timelines regarding any missing features such VOC?
And finally, did you get the Monroney window sticker? Seems that some of us north of the border have NOT been given our window stickers.

Congratulations! What color? Did the salesperson take the time to go over what to expect in terms of timelines regarding any missing features such VOC?
And finally, did you get the Monroney window sticker? Seems that some of us north of the border have NOT been given our window stickers.
The colour is sage green. Gonna take some time tomorrow to go see what it’s like to use a charge station, and try to capture the green in a photo 🙂. We went over some of the things that weren’t working/coming later, but the sales person also thought the chargepoint app wasn’t available yet, but I knew it was just that I needed to go into the app store. Overall the handover was pretty good, even with a blizzard going on around us.

We did not get the window sticker. Never even occurred to me, but I never saw one in the dealer at all (not even on the test car).

Discussion starter · #63 ·
I think the XC40 looks great in all colors - it's particularly becoming that Sage Green is the signature color of a green EV.
Apparently there's no window sticker requirement for Canadian cars currently. This is a shame because the Monroney window sticker provides some interesting and useful details pertaining to the vehicle that are unavailable on a standard sales document.

I do like the green. It seems impossible to capture what it actually looks like to my eyes, but this is a decent attempt.
View attachment 636
Looks Great - The colour is very nice - it will be unique - we have the Fusion Red - had a 2019 xc40 Momentum that was the same but did not have the black roof - so we were used to the Red and liked it with black on the new one.
How did your second charge last? Better than the first? Are those the 19 inch wheels or 20"? So before you picked it up on Friday did the dealer install the latest software update and have you downloaded the VOC app? any functionality there yet?

Our second charge was at a 50kW charger, where the first was a 6.6kW charger. Significant speedup in charging. We only stuck around long enough to eat our ice cream (we always had plenty of charge to get home - just wanted to try it). We took in 27.75 kWh in 34 mins, and it seemed like it was going full tilt on the charger. Still only 1/3 the capacity of the car, but not bad if stopping for a bite.

We have the 19” wheels, and yes the dealer did install the latest update before we picked it up. I tried the VOC app, but I’m still getting the “p8 not available yet” message. Hoping that will come soon as we do have time of use rates and I’d really like to schedule it.

Discussion starter · #67 ·
Our second charge was at a 50kW charger, where the first was a 6.6kW charger. Significant speedup in charging. We only stuck around long enough to eat our ice cream (we always had plenty of charge to get home - just wanted to try it). We took in 27.75 kWh in 34 mins, and it seemed like it was going full tilt on the charger. Still only 1/3 the capacity of the car, but not bad if stopping for a bite.

We have the 19” wheels, and yes the dealer did install the latest update before we picked it up. I tried the VOC app, but I’m still getting the “p8 not available yet” message. Hoping that will come soon as we do have time of use rates and I’d really like to schedule it.
Here's the latest April 2021 update. Is it what's installed in your car?

Model: Volvo
Android-version: Android 10
Android-securitypatch level: 1 maart 2021
Kernel-version: 4.19.152-PKT-201102T090902Z-gd38365ca3532
Kernel-version date: #1 Thu Mar 18 21:54:58 CEST 2020
Build-number: QA1A.210116.001.ARTINFO.QAB.5-13-g7441a9224

Here's the latest April 2021 update. Is it what's installed in your car?

Model: Volvo
Android-version: Android 10
All of my numbers match your exactly.

The dealer told us they had put the April update in, but I was curious why a late April update would still have a mid March date. Guess it takes Volvo a long time between build and release.

All of my numbers match your exactly.

The dealer told us they had put the April update in, but I was curious why a late April update would still have a mid March date. Guess it takes Volvo a long time between build and release.
I believe Chris the Volvo Cars guy had indicated that the update info as shown above by Blitzswede is not related to the software build for the vehicle itself - in fact if I remember he stated that it is not noted anywhere we would be able to see if we had the latest vehicle software build - other than where on the centre display screen it states your software is up to date or in need of an OTA update.

Discussion starter · #70 ·
I believe Chris the Volvo Cars guy had indicated that the update info as shown above by Blitzswede is not related to the software build for the vehicle itself - in fact if I remember he stated that it is not noted anywhere we would be able to see if we had the latest vehicle software build - other than where on the centre display screen it states your software is up to date or in need of an OTA update.
Chris did state that, no argument. However, it's perplexing - as reported by owners who've just gone into the dealership for the April update, their car's system info screen is displaying a couple of dates that seem to have changed since upgrading to the more recent software version. In the absence of any other version number specified on the car's center display or elsewhere, are we to ignore the only source available to the owner? Example:
Settings> System> System Details> About>, my screen shows the following:

Android-securitypatchlevel: 1 december 2020
Kernel-version: 4.19.143-PKT-200914T053350Z-gd5525b619f0f
Kernel-version date: #1 Fri Jan 8 16:53:12 CEST 2021
Build-number: QA1A.201017.002.ARTINFO.QAB.1-163-ge59708ebe

The above appears to be the old port-installed version that came with the car nearly three weeks ago The latest dealer-installed version that Chris accurately documented last week and in fact the version that goatsweater got installed in his car at his Canadian dealership last week reads out as follows for his P8:

Finally, to add this nugget: my dealer's service department here in Ontario just informed me that according to Volvo Canada, there are no updates outstanding for my car despite the fact that the car has none of the improvements outlined in the April software update, which requires a visit to the dealership for installation.

Chris did state that, no argument. However, it's perplexing - as reported by owners who've just gone into the dealership for the April update, their car's system info screen is displaying a couple of dates that seem to have changed since upgrading to the more recent software version. In the absence of any other version number specified on the car's center display or elsewhere, are we to ignore the only source available to the owner? Example:
Settings> System> System Details> About>, my screen shows the following:

Android-securitypatchlevel: 1 december 2020
Kernel-version: 4.19.143-PKT-200914T053350Z-gd5525b619f0f
Kernel-version date: #1 Fri Jan 8 16:53:12 CEST 2021
Build-number: QA1A.201017.002.ARTINFO.QAB.1-163-ge59708ebe

The above appears to be the old port-installed version that came with the car nearly three weeks ago The latest dealer-installed version that Chris accurately documented last week and in fact the version that goatsweater got installed in his car at his Canadian dealership last week reads out as follows for his P8:

Finally, to add this nugget: my dealer's service department here in Ontario just informed me that according to Volvo Canada, there are no updates outstanding for my car despite the fact that the car has none of the improvements outlined in the April software update, which requires a visit to the dealership for installation.
definitely looks like software build info and obviously it has changed - interesting that your dealer indicates no outstanding updates? Either they do not know what to look for or the updates are being rolled out dealer by dealer and they will then notify customers - rollout and communications are quite inconsistent - not sure what to do or how to handle/manage this!

Reactions: blitzswede
Discussion starter · #72 ·
definitely looks like software build info and obviously it has changed - interesting that your dealer indicates no outstanding updates? Either they do not know what to look for or the updates are being rolled out dealer by dealer and they will then notify customers - rollout and communications are quite inconsistent - not sure what to do or how to handle/manage this!
I think I'll just "wait and see" for now - maybe another week (or two) ?

I’m not really an Android person, but I am a software person so I’m taking this vehicle as my introduction to Android stuff. After looking at the Android kernel documentation it does appear this information is at least partially useful. It may not be the good Volvo release info, but it does give some insight that I think is valuable: our vehicles are running the last of the “dessert” series of Android releases. 🍰🍦

Finally got my car!!! May 12. Not without some drama but better left unsaid. I do love he car.

Question for anybody......I am using a plug-in 240V outlet. Should the charge cable be removed from the outlet after charging is done and cable is removed from car? Bright white light on charger is on but that won't bother me. Any reason to unplug?

shouldnt matter if you leave it in. one reason i can think of to remove it is if you are worried about power surges frying it, but honestly a lot of other stuff will likely fry first or together so it will be the least of your problems.

Discussion starter · #77 · (Edited)
Finally got my car!!! May 12. Not without some drama but better left unsaid. I do love he car.

Question for anybody......I am using a plug-in 240V outlet. Should the charge cable be removed from the outlet after charging is done and cable is removed from car? Bright white light on charger is on but that won't bother me. Any reason to unplug?
You can just leave the charge cable plugged in. It has internal protection against that sort of eventuality (that white light says everything is healthy). Also, if there's a power failure, the circuitry will power up safely in the correct order when the power is restored. From the Owners Manual:
"The charging cable has a circuit breaker that helps protect against current overloads and thermal overheating."

shouldnt matter if you leave it in. one reason i can think of to remove it is if you are worried about power surges frying it, but honestly a lot of other stuff will likely fry first or together so it will be the least of your problems.
Have you had your service appointment at the dealer yet? How did it go? Did you get the software update? Have you been able to get VOC to work at all? Still enjoying the car?
I have any some A/C issues - works intermittently - seems when 30 plus cuts out and just blows warm air - have an appointment on June 7/21 to get looked at.

I almost cancelled the appointment because everything started working again, but my wife brought it in and they took a look at it. The dealer could find nothing wrong, said no updates were pending, and gave the car back.

We’ve had no issues in the last week or so, including the automatic seats started actually adjusting based on which key unlocked the car (driver seat never used to move until manually pushing door buttons). The only thing I’ve been trying occasionally that still fails is VOC, but that is to be expected right now.

You can just leave the charge cable plugged in. It has internal protection against that sort of eventuality (that white light says everything is healthy). Also, if there's a power failure, the circuitry will power up safely in the correct order when the power is restored. From the Owners Manual:
"The charging cable has a circuit breaker that helps protect against current overloads and thermal overheating."
Thanks for previous info. I finally got my car two weeks ago and really like it. Questions: Why do they suggest only charging to 90% most of the time? Why do they suggest not using one-pedal driving on highways? Any ideas.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.