Volvo XC40 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ontario, Canada: New-to-Volvo customers

10K views 82 replies 7 participants last post by  Jezza 
#1 ·
Hi Everybody, just a short introduction:
First-time Volvo owners - a 2021 Thunder Grey Metallic XC40 P8 Recharge. Being a First Edition model, it's fully loaded with all packages and every option, including some we did not want (e.g. the bigger 20" wheels), but had to buy as configured, with no discounting!! Overall, wife and I are very happy with the car.
We are long-time EV owners (including Tesla) - currently have a Smart EQ fortwo, which we intend to use predominantly for in-city scooting about, and to engage the XC40 for more extensive driving.

#2 ·
First-time Volvo owners - a 2021 Thunder Grey Metallic XC40 P8 Recharge. Being a First Edition model, it's fully loaded with all packages and every option, including some we did not want (e.g. the bigger 20" wheels), but had to buy as configured, with no discounting!! Overall, wife and I are very happy with the car.
We are long-time EV owners (including Tesla) - currently have a Smart EQ fortwo, which we intend to use predominantly for in-city scooting about, and to engage the XC40 for more extensive driving.
Hi My name is George - live in Welland Ontario - have had an XC40 for two and half years - in January made a deal to trade it for the XC40 Recharge - was supposed to take delivery on March 15/21 - dealer advised a week prior to delivery car was being held at port for a recall - I think it has to do with the On Call service - not sure if it is an over the air update or how it would be done - no firm new delivery date - have you taken delivery of your car? and have you heard about any recalls? Anxious to finally get our hands on the Recharge - hopefully soon.

#3 ·
Sorry to hear about your delivery wait (what a bummer!), but I believe that all software related delays are now behind us - fingers crossed! My wife and I are also waiting for our P8 Recharge, which is currently at the port of Halifax, NS. When we ordered the car a month ago, the dealer was quite clear up front to expect delivery at the end of March or early April because of unspecified software upgrades that had to be done to all P8 cars while at port. Although this is our first Volvo ownership ever, we have dealt with the dealer principals directly for many years at their other franchise dealerships. Their communications and competencies have always been at the highest level, and we trust that they'll advise us immediately as soon as they get any updates from Volvo head office.
In the meantime, I find the Volvo Canada website quite good too as they has outlined (under the Owners/Support tab) incremental updates timetable to the Volvo On Call app for the Recharge Pure Electric. We're in the London area and look forward to meeting up with you and introducing ourselves properly once we get our cars. Hopefully, all the lockdowns are lifted this summer!

#12 ·
Yes I hope you get the call soon too - I will post a pic of it on the weekend. Will be interesting to see if the dealer has this form for us to sign regarding the future OTA updates for the varies features that have been discussed on the Forum. Also I will ask if the Heat Pump can be installed at a later date or if cost wise that may even be feasible.

Reactions: blitzswede
#13 ·
If it weren't for the new stay-at-home order announced today, I'd be tempted to camp out at the dealership lot, LOL.
Ya, a waiver agreement regarding missing features might be forthcoming, but that's better than more delays, right?
And please post those pics!

#36 ·
Congrats - picked ours up last friday - love it - our first EV too - but had a 2019 Gasoline XC40 T5 Momentum for the last few years so was familiar with the car since the Recharge is the same as the Gasoline model except for how it is fueled. It was basically designed to be an EV but was first released as a Gasoline model. The main internal difference is that the Infotainment system is now powered by Google vs. the Volvo Sensus system - the Google system is much better.
Also Volvo will be providing a number of upgrades over the next year and half via Over the air updates - if you go to the Volvo site and too the menu in the Volvo Owners area under support you will be able to see what will be coming in the next year. Hope you get the call soon - it is fun - and crazy fast - so be careful when you floor the accelerator!!

#38 ·
When did you take delivery? I don't see anyone else having actually gotten their vehicle. The "software update" issue is keeping cars in limbo. Did you have any special considerations to take the car "as is"?

#39 ·
Hi I took delivery two weeks ago - do not have the heat pump option - was not made available for the Canadian Market due to issues - so the car has all the latest updates that were available with the volvo March update.
I believe what is keeping cars at the port is the heat pump issue which is causing the A/C to under perform and Volvo will not release til resolved.

#41 ·
Good for you. I so glad you like it. I ordered mine in Oct or Nov and was told it would be delivered in Feb. Still waiting. Perhaps Canada has better import regulations. What about the software issue? What did they say? I guess there is a later update for your vehicle but why don't they release all of them with that update to come?

#48 ·
Made a quick trip to the store, outside air temperature of 4 Celsius, car battery SOC of 88%:
"Hey Google , what's my remaining range?"
Google: "You have about 260 kilometers of range remaining..."
Well, good to know...
That Google is pretty Smart!!

#52 ·
Got all excited to pick up the car this afternoon. Dealer called two hours before the pick up time telling us that something in the cameras is broken and they have to order a part. Pretty disappointed that we’ve already waited a week for one part (hitch) and they tell us this now.

Now I’m driving an XC60 for a week or so while I wait.

Since I was there I asked about the April software update. Sales guy didn’t know about it, but indicated this update would be OTA. Nice if that’s true, but we shall see.

#53 ·
Yes disappointing but you will enjoy it when you get it - hopefully the part is available in a local Volvo warehouse vs. having to come from across the pond!!
Regarding the update - likely will not be OTA for awhile - they are still working out the bugs on that - see attached Thread with Chris's answer:
In North America, SW to enable provisioning of the Volvo On Call app should be available at your Retailer next week (week of April 25).
The Volvo on call app will have limited functionality, including:a
Device management
Lock/unlock
Climate direct start
Battery State of Charge level

Later in the year, more functionality will be added to the Volvo on Call app:
Climate timers
Push notifications
Charging control
OTA status/control
Car locator
Journal log
(2) 2021 Xc40 Recharge Volvo on Call Install | Volvo XC40 Forum
The next update will be available week 17 (week of April 25). Yes, that switch allows OTA. However OTA is not yet released in North America as there have been network issues with high error rates during testing. Once those issues are resolved, OTA will be turned on for North America. I do not yet have a date for North American OTA release yet.
(1) XC40 P8 deliveries delayed? | Page 16 | Volvo XC40 Forum

#54 · (Edited)
Now on Volvo Cars Canada website:
Software updates | Volvo Support (volvocars.com)

Updates from and including April 2021.
  • Preheating of the battery when charging to 90% and 100%, gives improved range. No preheating when charging under 90%.
  • Profile handling and opportunity to select miles per hour unit for Care Key.
  • OTA (Over-the-Air) software updates: Fixed a bug in which notification of a completed update was not shown.
  • Vehicle status application: Fixed a bug in which information on the number of kilometers sometimes didn't show correct values.
  • Clock in vehicle: Bug fixed in which incorrect time was sometimes shown.
  • Profile settings:
    • Review of private settings in the startup guide.
  • Bluetooth-connected phone: Stability improvements for certain phone models.
  • Problem with wireless charging for iPhone 12 is fixed.
  • Improvements in AC performance at high temperatures.

#63 ·
I think the XC40 looks great in all colors - it's particularly becoming that Sage Green is the signature color of a green EV.
Apparently there's no window sticker requirement for Canadian cars currently. This is a shame because the Monroney window sticker provides some interesting and useful details pertaining to the vehicle that are unavailable on a standard sales document.

#65 ·
Looks Great - The colour is very nice - it will be unique - we have the Fusion Red - had a 2019 xc40 Momentum that was the same but did not have the black roof - so we were used to the Red and liked it with black on the new one.
How did your second charge last? Better than the first? Are those the 19 inch wheels or 20"? So before you picked it up on Friday did the dealer install the latest software update and have you downloaded the VOC app? any functionality there yet?

#66 ·
Our second charge was at a 50kW charger, where the first was a 6.6kW charger. Significant speedup in charging. We only stuck around long enough to eat our ice cream (we always had plenty of charge to get home - just wanted to try it). We took in 27.75 kWh in 34 mins, and it seemed like it was going full tilt on the charger. Still only 1/3 the capacity of the car, but not bad if stopping for a bite.

We have the 19” wheels, and yes the dealer did install the latest update before we picked it up. I tried the VOC app, but I’m still getting the “p8 not available yet” message. Hoping that will come soon as we do have time of use rates and I’d really like to schedule it.

#67 ·
Here's the latest April 2021 update. Is it what's installed in your car?

Model: Volvo
Android-version: Android 10
Android-securitypatch level: 1 maart 2021
Kernel-version: 4.19.152-PKT-201102T090902Z-gd38365ca3532
Kernel-version date: #1 Thu Mar 18 21:54:58 CEST 2020
Build-number: QA1A.210116.001.ARTINFO.QAB.5-13-g7441a9224

#74 ·
I’m not really an Android person, but I am a software person so I’m taking this vehicle as my introduction to Android stuff. After looking at the Android kernel documentation it does appear this information is at least partially useful. It may not be the good Volvo release info, but it does give some insight that I think is valuable: our vehicles are running the last of the “dessert” series of Android releases. 🍰🍦

#75 ·
Finally got my car!!! May 12. Not without some drama but better left unsaid. I do love he car.

Question for anybody......I am using a plug-in 240V outlet. Should the charge cable be removed from the outlet after charging is done and cable is removed from car? Bright white light on charger is on but that won't bother me. Any reason to unplug?

#77 · (Edited)
Finally got my car!!! May 12. Not without some drama but better left unsaid. I do love he car.

Question for anybody......I am using a plug-in 240V outlet. Should the charge cable be removed from the outlet after charging is done and cable is removed from car? Bright white light on charger is on but that won't bother me. Any reason to unplug?
You can just leave the charge cable plugged in. It has internal protection against that sort of eventuality (that white light says everything is healthy). Also, if there's a power failure, the circuitry will power up safely in the correct order when the power is restored. From the Owners Manual:
"The charging cable has a circuit breaker that helps protect against current overloads and thermal overheating."

#78 ·
Have you had your service appointment at the dealer yet? How did it go? Did you get the software update? Have you been able to get VOC to work at all? Still enjoying the car?
I have any some A/C issues - works intermittently - seems when 30 plus cuts out and just blows warm air - have an appointment on June 7/21 to get looked at.

#79 ·
I almost cancelled the appointment because everything started working again, but my wife brought it in and they took a look at it. The dealer could find nothing wrong, said no updates were pending, and gave the car back.

We’ve had no issues in the last week or so, including the automatic seats started actually adjusting based on which key unlocked the car (driver seat never used to move until manually pushing door buttons). The only thing I’ve been trying occasionally that still fails is VOC, but that is to be expected right now.

#83 ·
Going to close this thread as it's gotten away from the original topic and now over 80 posts. Really glad to see the discussion and I don't want to discourage that! Please just start a new thread to discuss a new topic. It will really help the rest of us, and will make issues much more searchable in the future. Thank you everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.