Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says…..
One pedal driving, who uses it, when, does it help efficiency?

This is my first EV. I’m getting actually used to OPD, but sometimes I wonder if it’s worth the change. I keep mine on at all times. My driving is a combination of freeway and town backroads.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
201 Posts
I am using OPD. Still getting used to it. My wife hates it. One time experience was when using OPD, battery went from 74 to 75%. Defensively helps but do not know to what extend.
I was coming back from work the other day and went 140km/h on the highway. Average consumption was 36.00 kWh/100km on that 50km trip and normally is around 22.00 kWh/100km. Speed has the biggest impact.

·
Registered
298 Posts
OPD vs driving should technically yield the same results within a negligible delta. That said, this also depends on the car, the calibration, how the brake pedal "by wire" is programmed, etc.

Example 1:
Audi & Porsche tend to favor "coasting" over one pedal driving. This allows for you to roll without pressing any pedals. They feel this is more efficient, and also more natural. That said, the only way to get MAX Regen on the J1 Platform (Taycan, eTron GT) is via the brake pedal, which is both regen AND friction brakes, on the same pedal. So you have no OPD option.

Example 2:
Other day I was watching a video, forget what new EV it was, but basically they had designed it to only use the brake pedal for the friction. If you wanted Regen you had to turn it on, and that gave you varying levels. In that instance, they opted to ensure the brake pedal felt like a conventional car.

Example 3:
If you are not using OPD, you're still at times essentially doing the same thing as OPD. Most of the time we're driving down the road we're using minimal power, and in cases where you need to move your foot, there is a moment where you may be coasting before braking, and the "braking" perhaps is just Regen, but the argument is that you're doing the same thing just with 2 pedals versus one. This is why Tesla, Volvo, Volkswagen and others hare given you the ability to turn this feature on. Matter of fact, some arguments have been made that this is more efficient because you can more granularly control the power-to-regen more swiftly, quicker, with a single input point.

FWIW ... one-pedal-driving is universally loved at our house (myself and my wife). I actually hate when I have to drive a car w/o OPD.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am not driving an XC40 currently, but I have used that feature ever since I started driving EVs. If you’re watching your watt/mi, then you physically see it bringing that number down. I love the feature and wouldn’t run an EV without it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
We use OPD exclusively. My feeling is that this is the way cars would have been designed from the start if the technology was available at the time. Also, I learned to drive on a manual-transmission car and am very used to off-throttle deceleration. On a recent long highway-only trip, we measured driving efficiency around 70mph both with and without OPD, and didn't see a difference between the two.

I also wouldn't buy an EV that is missing OPD. Unfortunately Hyundai and Kia's new EVs can't be permanently set to OPD - it has to be enabled at each power-on. Hoping Genesis' GV60 does better.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Like the title says…..
One pedal driving, who uses it, when, does it help efficiency?

This is my first EV. I’m getting actually used to OPD, but sometimes I wonder if it’s worth the change. I keep mine on at all times. My driving is a combination of freeway and town backroads.
I like OPD a lot. Once accustomed to it, I feel like I have better control of the car.

·
Registered
2021 P8
50 Posts
All the time. When we first bought our Bolt (first EV) we ran it regular for a year or so until we realized you had to double shift that car to engage OPD. I did see a notable uptick in efficiency when shifting. Have driven exclusively OPD on the XC40 since buying it in August.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
121 Posts
Lets talk to the "expert" at EV cars: Tesla. They used to offer a "free wheeling" option but no more. Basically its one-pedal-driving OPD, all the time. Your options are: OPD with brake staying on when stopped, OPD with coasting when stopped (ok as long as your on flat ground), OPD with creep (car will try to move slightly unless you step on brake). I bought mine in 2020 so I only had those options. No brainer. I like OPD. Then we bought my wife an XC40 P8. She drove it for a day without OPD turned on. Now its ON ALL THE TIME.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 20", Heat Pump.
60 Posts
OPD always. I do wish there was a way to turn it off with a button instead of in the menu. I would like to try a highway trip with it off. Not sure it would change anything, range wise. Worth a try. For what it is worth, my range has improved since 1.7.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think I recall that the owners manual advises only using OPD for urban traffic and not for freeway use, but can't find it now.... I know from my test drive that if you are surprised and lift your foot instinctively off the accelerator that the vehicle can slow down very overdramatically at say 60mph. My wife hates it, so I leave it off as I get the same regen, as far as my research tells me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think I recall that the owners manual advises only using OPD for urban traffic and not for freeway use, but can't find it now.... I know from my test drive that if you are surprised and lift your foot instinctively off the accelerator that the vehicle can slow down very overdramatically at say 60mph. My wife hates it, so I leave it off as I get the same regen, as far as my research tells me.
It’s like driving a manual. If you suddenly pull your foot off the accelerator, then yes the car will slow down much more dramatically than an ICE automatic. However, you can easily control the rate of deceleration using the accelerator if you have OPD enabled.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
224 Posts
Yes we use it all the time. I’m not sure I’ve ever touched the brake pedal except wen engaging gear to take off? Hmm! We also use adaptive cruise at all times until we come up to the roundabout in our small local town. The adaptive cruise is a game-changer and makes driving so much less stressful...no comments about that idiot driver in front keeps speeding up and slowing down...now we just set and forget and let the car deal with the stress of maintaining a safe distance. :) You do have to remember to put your foot down on the accelerator before or immediately after cancelling the cruise or yes, you’ll get a nice sharp braking effect! There is a short delay when disabling cruise control, giving you enough time to put your foot down to match the speed so to speak, which is nice.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts