• 5 Selectable levels

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • 10 Selectable levels

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
We prefer the coasting with two pedal driving.

Reactions: santellavision

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I like coasting, might be more inclined to engage a mild regen OPD mode, but still would leverage brakes, but would like to see auto-hold option without OPD.

Reactions: mike1234

·
Registered
264 Posts
I love OPD. Took some getting used to but I find it immensely enjoyable. Plus the aforementioned hold on stop is money.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 Recharge
52 Posts
Been driving my XC40 BEV for 13K miles. OPD is OK around town, but I much prefer two pedal function when driving on the highway. As we have two other ICE cars, it is easier to leave the XC40 in two pedal mode so we can easily move from car to car without having to completely rethink driving.

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue MFD 6/21
341 Posts
It took me a few rides to get used to it but now I only use OPD, backroads and freeway. On freeways cruise control, rest my foot on the accelerator and disengage the cruise control when I need to slow down to an exit.
I tried non-OPD and felt strange.
My wife also used OPD when driving the Volvo.
It does feel strange for a second when I drive her car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We prefer the coasting with two pedal driving.
I'm not aware of the XC40 having a coast mode - in or out of OPD, when you release the throttle, regen starts - and slows the car - look at the energy bar on the right. Coasting would mean the bar is in the middle, power neither going into, or coming back from, the motor. If I want to coast, I have to find the balance on the pedal. Not that easy, but easier in the XC40 than in other EVs I've driven, but in them, I was able to shift into 'N' whilst moving which is definitely coasting!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'm not aware of the XC40 having a coast mode - in or out of OPD, when you release the throttle, regen starts - and slows the car - look at the energy bar on the right. Coasting would mean the bar is in the middle, power neither going into, or coming back from, the motor. If I want to coast, I have to find the balance on the pedal. Not that easy, but easier in the XC40 than in other EVs I've driven, but in them, I was able to shift into 'N' whilst moving which is definitely coasting!
I coast all the time with the car rolling and the bar in the middle. There may be some minor regen gong on, but my bar stays in the middle until I lean Into the brakes.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
301 Posts
I'm not aware of the XC40 having a coast mode - in or out of OPD,
Supporting what @He Keith said. When OPD is turned OFF it allows a simulated version of coasting by appearing as if no energy is either being consumed or regenerated.
Although, we know that a small or relatively negligible amount of energy is still required in order to keep a PMSM motor in this 'null' state.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oops, thanks for this, it's been a good while since I drive outside OPD mode. It's not too difficult to find the middle (coasting) in OPD, but it does take my eyes off the road so I should switch a bit more often. This car has a very well calibrated pedal, in both modes.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
After having the car for 3 weeks, I LOVE OPD. It just takes a little getting used to it. Even my wife likes it! It's great in the snow here in Colorado. Easing up on the pedal to slow down is way better and safer than hitting the brakes possibly too hard.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts