• 10 Selectable levels

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(Updated it to say One Pedal Driving) Am I the only one who is not a fan of the One Pedal Driving? I understand the benefits and all, but it's tiring on your right foot to always have some pressure on the pedal or the car is always fighting you for a smooth transition from accelerating to coasting.

My suggestion to Volvo (if you are listening) would be to have a menu to select a 'variable' amount. Possibly something like 1-5 with 1 being very little to 5 Max or full on.

How about a Poll!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Are you using one pedal driving? If so turn off one pedal driving. Regen also happens with the just the brake pedal.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Not going to vote, as the selections are a bit odd. I think “On/Off” or “Variable” would have been a fine poll here, no need to break it down to finite numbers of selections. That said, having been EV owners for over a decade, I prefer one pedal driving, the most aggressive possible. I have ample motor skills in my right ankle to drive the car with one pedal, always, to a full stop. I would always set mine to MAX “ON” so I guess that would be my selection for myself; but I recognize and appreciate that a “scale” might be nice, allowing max user enjoyment, not just “for me” :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been one pedal driving when around town stop and go, and when we trip on the freeway I turn it off which make for a smoother ride.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not going to vote, as the selections are a bit odd. I think “On/Off” or “Variable” would have been a fine poll here, no need to break it down to finite numbers of selections. That said, having been EV owners for over a decade, I prefer one pedal driving, the most aggressive possible. I have ample motor skills in my right ankle to drive the car with one pedal, always, to a full stop. I would always set mine to MAX “ON” so I guess that would be my selection for myself; but I recognize and appreciate that a “scale” might be nice, allowing max user enjoyment, not just “for me” :)
My wife and I are also max Regen on the "gas" pedal people. She would not consider an EV without functional one pedal driving. Our bolt was always in L, the volt was in L. A quick wat to switch to neutral would be great for those times that I want a LONG coast down, but if the choice is aggressive Regen mild, I would take aggressive everyday.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Going to have to agree with what’s said, I would always set it to max regen and then forget about it. If you’re on the highway then just set the cruise control if you want to give your right foot a rest. My wife hated one pedal driving in my car but I made her turn it on in the XC40. Within 1-2 days she was comfortable with it and now loves it. She said she literally never has to touch the brake pedal anymore.

I much prefer for the Volvo direction over the VW/Audi direction for one pedal driving. I hated that the ID.4 did not have true one pedal driving.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I often use OPD on busy highways since it allows me to more easily manage my speed relative to the flow of traffic.

Otherwise (and most of the time) I prefer it off, since I can get regen when I want it (via the brake pedal) and can coast when I don't. Forty-five years of driving an ICE might have an influence as well.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Why do people think one pedal is more tiring on a high way than good old ice driving. On both you either use cruise control or have to keep a certain pressure on the accelerator.

Only difference is two decel more than air braking you have to do the awkward right foot on left peddle that my messed up knees hate vs being able to just back off the opd.

I find opd driving on a long drive is way easier on my knees than the old fashioned ice driving. Easiest though was the awful car I had as a youngster where high way was foot flat down :)

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
142 Posts
Tesla, which I feel knows a lot more about EV cars than Volvo, used to have an on-off for REGEN BRAKING, but now its always on. I think they learned to get the most back from energy use REGEN. I've done the longest trip in our Tesla X of 450 miles, some on cruise control most on manual driving due to many back roads. I don't find it a problem.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Tesla, which I feel knows a lot more about EV cars than Volvo, used to have an on-off for REGEN BRAKING, but now its always on. I think they learned to get the most back from energy use REGEN. I've done the longest trip in our Tesla X of 450 miles, some on cruise control most on manual driving due to many back roads. I don't find it a problem.
Tesla doesn’t have blended braking like the Volvo does. The only regen with Tesla is when you lift off the accelerator and the brake pedal simply adds friction brakes. Volvo does regen when you lift off the accelerator with OPD enabled or when you press the brake pedal to a point then it applies friction brakes as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
one pedal driving does take some getting use to it; been using it from beginning, so I'm use to it, and also my foot muscles have bulked up...haha...one complaint is there is NO resistance in the "gas" pedal, should be some resistance in the pedal.

I love the regen,,,actually seen the charge level go up as I drive down a long hill...

a lake/ fishing hole that is about 20 minutes away from me takes 10% to get there and only 2% to get home.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
142 Posts
Tesla doesn’t have blended braking like the Volvo does. The only regen with Tesla is when you lift off the accelerator and the brake pedal simply adds friction brakes. Volvo does regen when you lift off the accelerator with OPD enabled or when you press the brake pedal to a point then it applies friction brakes as well.
I've had a Tesla for a year and I am on 4 Facebook groups and I've never heard of "blended braking" with either Tesla or Volvo. With REGEN you are using the deceleration of the car & motors acting as generators to slow the vehicle down, as long as you are not applying ANY throttle. Once you reach a certain very slow speed the car's brake lights are applied but no hydraulic brakes are needed unless you chose to slow/stop sooner than the REGEN provides.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've had a Tesla for a year and I am on 4 Facebook groups and I've never heard of "blended braking" with either Tesla or Volvo. With REGEN you are using the deceleration of the car & motors acting as generators to slow the vehicle down, as long as you are not applying ANY throttle. Once you reach a certain very slow speed the car's brake lights are applied but no hydraulic brakes are needed unless you chose to slow/stop sooner than the REGEN provides.
The Volvo has blended braking, but the Tesla does not. Blended braking simply means that when you press the brake pedal on the Volvo, it uses Regen braking to slow/stop the car unless you are requesting more stopping power than Regen can provide, in which case the Volvo will automatically then introduce the friction brakes to stop the car. Volvo uses a combination of Regen and friction brakes depending on brake pedal pressure to stop the vehicle. Tesla only uses friction brakes when you push the brake pedal.

Also, as soon as Regen braking starts, the brake lights are activated on both the Volvo and Tesla. If you look at the screen in the Tesla, then you can see the brake lights illuminating while you are decelerating using Regen. That would be a huge safety issue if the brake lights were not activated while the car is quickly slowing itself down using Regen at any speed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't like OPD and never use it. My right rear gets very sore within an hour of driving unless I can stop applying pressure with my foot. I need to remove my foot altogether. Cruise control on the freeway is fine if you're in an open area, but around here, it's useless because traffic is constantly stopping, starting, dodging in and out of your lane, etc. Constantly moving my foot from one pedal and press and release to the other is the only thing that keeps me from getting pain. Around town I can just let it off altogether and cruise to a stop sign or light.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I don't like OPD and never use it. My right rear gets very sore within an hour of driving unless I can stop applying pressure with my foot. I need to remove my foot altogether. Cruise control on the freeway is fine if you're in an open area, but around here, it's useless because traffic is constantly stopping, starting, dodging in and out of your lane, etc. Constantly moving my foot from one pedal and press and release to the other is the only thing that keeps me from getting pain. Around town I can just let it off altogether and cruise to a stop sign or light.
Excellent reason not to use it. And makes me glad they included the non opd. For me and spouse 2 t’s the torsion motion of continually going to brake makes our knees sing in pain :)

like all things what works for one is aweful for another and visa versa. The one size fits all concept is not a friend of mine :)

Keep that leg happy and enjoy the swooshing.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The Volvo has blended braking, but the Tesla does not. Blended braking simply means that when you press the brake pedal on the Volvo, it uses Regen braking to slow/stop the car unless you are requesting more stopping power than Regen can provide, in which case the Volvo will automatically then introduce the friction brakes to stop the car. Volvo uses a combination of Regen and friction brakes depending on brake pedal pressure to stop the vehicle. Tesla only uses friction brakes when you push the brake pedal.

Also, as soon as Regen braking starts, the brake lights are activated on both the Volvo and Tesla. If you look at the screen in the Tesla, then you can see the brake lights illuminating while you are decelerating using Regen. That would be a huge safety issue if the brake lights were not activated while the car is quickly slowing itself down using Regen at any speed.
when you are describing the blended braking scenario above, are you saying when OPD is off the braking is blended as described by you above? thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
when you are describing the blended braking scenario above, are you saying when OPD is off the braking is blended as described by you above? thanks
It doesn’t matter if OPD is off or on for the blended braking. OPD simply uses Regen as soon as you let off the accelerator. If OPD is off, then the vehicle will just coast. The blended braking is in place when you hit the brake pedal no matter if OPD is off or on. The braking setup is the same with blended braking, so it will use Regen and then friction brakes.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
It doesn’t matter if OPD is off or on for the blended braking. OPD simply uses Regen as soon as you let off the accelerator. If OPD is off, then the vehicle will just coast. The blended braking is in place when you hit the brake pedal no matter if OPD is off or on. The braking setup is the same with blended braking, so it will use Regen and then friction brakes.
By hitting the brakes I assume you mean causing deceleration whether this is by
In opd mode
Letting up on the accelerator or
Pressing the brake pedal

In non opd mode
Pressing the brake pedal

blended braking refers to the way the drive by wire system mixes regenerative and friction braking seamlessly so you cannnot tell if you are getting.
Pure regenerative
Mix of regenerative and friction
Pure friction. **

**not sure if it is ever pure friction. In an emergency full brake slam scenario and chattering abs is it resistive alone or a mix? If someone could test this that would be superb. If not I will next time I drive.
To test go 40. Slam brakes deploying abs. Look and see if it is saying you are regenerating.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I tried OPD a few times and gave up. I like the brake hold when stopped, but the regen is too strong when you take your foot off the pedal. The stiffness (force you need to apply) to the pedal increases with OPD further straining my calf/ankles. I like the light touch the accelerator needs with OPD off and coast knowing that regen is engaged as well as when I lightly brake. I might be more inclined to try and use it more if there were a lighter setting. And if they can do brake hold in the ICE car and the P8 with OPD, why not offer brake hold without needing OPD.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
142 Posts

Tesla brake lights DO NOT COME ON as soon as you release the throttle. There is some technical combination of speed/deceleration that has to be me before the brake lights come on. I've verified it with my image of my car on my dash.

As far as pressing the brake pedal on our Volvo XC40 P8, we DON'T need to unless we are going to fast and the car doesn't decelerate in time to be stopped. Then we add brake pedal. That's what One-Pedal-Drivinig is all about.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts