Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Volvo C40 Fjord Blue Pure Electric Recharge Ultimat
575 Posts
Think we have a new standard about driving, it simply eliminates half of physical effort during the job. Very efficient. As soon you get the feeling, its uncomparable with old style driving, in terms of... everything :) agreed?
I drove 900 miles singularly on OPD in my Volvo C40 last weekend on version 2.3 software and became a huge fan.

Let’s OPD our EVs out! 😎

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just so long as Volvo doesn't get clever and option out traditional two pedal mode (a la the steering wheel Pilot Assist buttons). We don't like OPD.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Opd is amazing. The way every time you break to a stop is flawlessly smooth. Traveling hundreds of miles without once touching the break pedal is fantastic when my right knee is being cranky.

Driving down steep hills is wonderful. Mountain roads with sharp turns are made delightful with opd.

The only scenario I think in which it might not be as good as non opd is high speed cheese in a city. Though not terrible in that situation it denies smooth braking from a little to maximized. It is a minimal difference but I think non opd would win in that scenario. Good news. I will never need to drive like that so ….

Opd 24/7

Actually one time it is easier to use non opd is when switching into neutral to do neutral brake cleaning. You can do it in opd but you loose some velocity while slipping into neutral.

So I use opd 99.999% of the time :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Opd is amazing. The way every time you break to a stop is flawlessly smooth. Traveling hundreds of miles without once touching the break pedal is fantastic when my right knee is being cranky.

Driving down steep hills is wonderful. Mountain roads with sharp turns are made delightful with opd.

The only scenario I think in which it might not be as good as non opd is high speed cheese in a city. Though not terrible in that situation it denies smooth braking from a little to maximized. It is a minimal difference but I think non opd would win in that scenario. Good news. I will never need to drive like that so ….

Opd 24/7

Actually one time it is easier to use non opd is when switching into neutral to do neutral brake cleaning. You can do it in opd but you loose some velocity while slipping into neutral.

So I use opd 99.999% of the time :)
Yeah, so smooth!!! And this was one thing I didn't expected, other than silence, instant torque, even stability I knew it would be amazing..... excellent surprise!

·
Registered
40 Posts
All: I have one question on the OPD.. When you are about to stop the car in OPD mode, will the brake intense automatically get adjusted depending upon the distance of cars ahead of me.. i,e if the car is closer the OPD will automatically apply more breaking as per distance accordingly?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
All: I have one question on the OPD.. When you are about to stop the car in OPD mode, will the brake intense automatically get adjusted depending upon the distance of cars ahead of me.. i,e if the car is closer the OPD will automatically apply more breaking as per distance accordingly?
I was curious about that the other day. I will endeavor to test it :). By default my brain (like everyone Elise’s) varies pressure so we stop perfectly behind a car.

I have a feeling that nothing about opd cares how far you are from the car. What will care is CAS and that will be unpleasant :)

·
Registered
2022 Volvo C40 Fjord Blue Pure Electric Recharge Ultimat
575 Posts
Not that I have experienced this. The OPD once released does decelerate and applies the braking in a very steady decelerated mode, which feels like it senses the distance between the front vehicle and mine. However, there are times when I do have to press the brake pedal when the vehicle in-front of me, or a sudden traffic jam where multiple cars all at once brake. Bottomline - judgement of your own road conditions will come into OPD play, as to how busy your traffic is versus driving on open highways versus interstates etc.

·
Registered
'22 C40 Fjord Blue in & out
267 Posts
Not that I have experienced this. The OPD once released does decelerate and applies the braking in a very steady decelerated mode, which feels like it senses the distance between the front vehicle and mine. However, there are times when I do have to press the brake pedal when the vehicle in-front of me, or a sudden traffic jam where multiple cars all at once brake. Bottomline - judgement of your own road conditions will come into OPD play, as to how busy your traffic is versus driving on open highways versus interstates etc.
I concur that it just decelerates at a consistent rate without consideration for what's in front of you, assuming you aren't about to crash in which case I would expect emergency braking to activate automatically. I've also thought that this would be a nice feature of OPD, because I don't always guess exactly right when to take my foot off the go pedal so that the car will come to a stop right behind the car in front of me. If it could sense the distance and fine tune the deceleration to match that would be extra convenient.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have one technical question for the experts: OPD just use "reverse acceleration", or it also make use of brakes in addition? My guess is only reverse, cuz it is more effective in lower speeds, but it does it so well, that sometimes I think the car is also using its brakes...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts