Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Choose which driving mode that you use:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is another poll, but it is meant to see what percentage each of us are using OPD on the XC40 Recharge as it is currently implemented.

If other people drive your car that use a different OPD mode than you, indicate that in a reply message.

Please keep in mind that there are many misconceptions about how OPD works on the XC40. Being that Tesla dominates the market, many people assume that every EV should resemble it. The biggest difference is when OPD is turned OFF. Volvo is able to perform regenerative braking even when pressing the brake pedal to achieve a similar efficiency as when OPD is turned on. The regeneration occurs during the initial portion of deceleration and then it can later blend the physical brake pads for further stopping power after regeneration has reached maximum. The power meter on the instrument panel indicates the vehicle's electric propulsion and when it is recovering energy to the battery.

· Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My own preference would be to use OPD ON when driving in the city or neighborhoods. But since I drive mostly on country roads and the mode selection is buried in a menu, I mostly leave OPD OFF.

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge
416 Posts
I wish there was an adjustable amount of OPD. Full On/Off is too dramatic for me. It would great if it had a variable amount.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
OPD 100%.

Takes a few hours to get it totally smooth. Easy to take foot off to go for breaks and decel unexpectedly in the learning minutes. Once you get it down you can drive smoother than a professional with effortless ease.

I have never liked coasting on high way driving so no temptation there. It’s opd or adaptive cruise control on the high way.

Like all things it takes a little practice to get perfect. Dreading driving an ice and not having opd.

· Registered
101 Posts
Just got my car ~two weeks ago. Flipped on OPD and it was way too grabby. My last car was a PHEV 2019 XC60 T8, which I spent a lot of time learning weird driving style to keep the Pure mode from kicking in the gas engine. Right now I'm quite happy w/o OPD but intend to play with it more after I've had the car a while.

Reactions: SeattleCat

· Registered
4,154 Posts
Just got my car ~two weeks ago. Flipped on OPD and it was way too grabby. My last car was a PHEV 2019 XC60 T8, which I spent a lot of time learning weird driving style to keep the Pure mode from kicking in the gas engine. Right now I'm quite happy w/o OPD but intend to play with it more after I've had the car a while.
Good attitude. Spouse2 swore they would never use opd. Got them to use it for one 45 min trip. By the end they were hooked. The grabby is caused by us doing it wrong / not gotten used to it.

I had to apologies a few times to spouse1 when I first got it. But once it is down it is ridiculously smooth.

· Registered
101 Posts
Good attitude. Spouse2 swore they would never use opd. Got them to use it for one 45 min trip. By the end they were hooked. The grabby is caused by us doing it wrong / not gotten used to it.
I had a similar experience learning how to use ProPilot on the XC60. First few times I tried it I wasn't used to how it drove (different preference for centering, different level of slop for position). Just kept playing with it until I figured it out. Took maybe 30-45 to light bulb, then a few more hours to really trust it.

Used ProPilot on the XC60 for drive to Yellowstone & back (~12 hours driving each way) last summer 90%+. Love how I can now seamlessly transition from ProPilot to manual and back again smoothly, including knowing how much light guidance I can give before it disconnects.

Interesting challenge for car makers having killer features like ProPilot and OPD that take that much time to learn. 🤔

Reactions: SeattleCat

· Registered
4,154 Posts
I loved stick. I loved the control of me choosing when to change gear. To pick where on the lower curve. To reverse engine pressure decel.

With evs there is no dps curve to control. Opd gives reverse engine pressure. It is sadly how perfectly and simply it drives.

· Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
202 Posts
I drove stick and use OPD and love it. When on any road with good lines I'll use the pilot assist/cruise.

One thought I had is that in some ways I think the OPD is better for quick/emergency stops as if you take your foot off the accelerator it has already started slowing down before you hit the brake. You would likely stop a bit more quickly than with OPD off. Would be interesting to see what the difference in stopping distance would be with and without it.

· Registered
2022 C40 Recharge
296 Posts
There’s something about opd that I think people who drove stick respond to. Connection to the vehicle or something. Idk, but i drove stick and i too like opd.

· Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There’s something about opd that I think people who drove stick respond to. Connection to the vehicle or something. Idk, but i drove stick and i too like opd.
Be careful, I think it might also have to do with one's tolerance to jerkiness. It's common for passengers of OPD to experience motion sickness. That's because it's not easy for the driver to realize that they are not driving as smooth as they think. They have the advantage to know what's coming up next.

I learned to drive with a manual transmission and I even used to race amateur motocross back in the 80's. I'm fully adept with using a clutch and understand G forces. Furthermore, in my family it was spoke about with high regard to drive with finesse. We frequently had challenges to see who could shift the smoothest under very difficult situations and even outperform automatic transmissions back in the day. Therefore, to me OPD is fun, but only when it isn't boring or tedious. I frequently drive on country roads where I can't really engage cruise control. That's when OPD becomes a chore to maintain my foot position over longer periods. Whereas when OPD is off, I find Volvo's algorithm for coasting can't be beat. It is fantastic which provides frequent breaks for my foot.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
Be careful, I think it might also have to do with one's tolerance to jerkiness. It's common for passengers of OPD to experience motion sickness. That's because it's not easy for the driver to realize that they are not driving as smooth as they think. They have the advantage to know what's coming up next.

I learned to drive with a manual transmission and I even used to race amateur motocross back in the 80's. I'm fully adept with using a clutch and understand G forces. Furthermore, in my family it was spoke about with high regard to drive with finesse. We frequently had challenges to see who could shift the smoothest under very difficult situations and even outperform automatic transmissions back in the day. Therefore, to me OPD is fun, but only when it isn't boring or tedious. I frequently drive on country roads where I can't really engage cruise control. That's when OPD becomes a chore to maintain my foot position over longer periods. Whereas when OPD is off, I find Volvo's algorithm for coasting can't be beat. It is fantastic which provides frequent breaks for my foot.
Totally agree about opd not being smooth until you get good at it. My first day was not good. But after that my very intolerant driving friend loved how smooth opd is.

And like you I practiced changing gear and braking with the aim of being as smooth as possible.

Opd makes the old challenges trivial once you master it (which is way easier than mastering manual smoothness).

· Registered
2022 C40 Recharge
296 Posts
Reminds me of my brother’s girlfriend who appears to have a grand-mal seizure every time he shifts 😂

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.